Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Rough idea of bathroom replacement costs ?
  • renton
    Free Member

Looking into changing the rather large bath room suite in our house with a basic straight bath and panel along with moving the shower onto another wall.

It will involve moving some pipework baxk to where it would of been originally and moving the toilet. Also tiling.

What sort of price am I looking at as an idea if I supply the suite.

Thanks.

tjagain

£4000+ assuming retiling and replumbing

I have recently done two bathrooms

wrightyson
    Free Member

4k 😯
    Did you have gold tiles?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    renton
    Free Member

I’ve priced up a full suite from b and q for less than 200 quid(not including fixings like taps etc).

I was hoping for around half of that :mrgreen:

tjagain

No – new tiling done properly meant replastering walls and the tiler was absolutely meticulous – in two bathrooms with two full walls tiled one tile is less than a mm out of line. Everything else is perfect. Bathroom suite for the more expensive one was £1000 – a £200 B&Q suite is likely to be poor quality.

You can spend a lot more on stuff like taps – even a cheapish but good shower unit and set of taps cost £400 ( all hidden in the walls)

The bathroom fitter I use for the tiling stated that he would have costed the bathroom I did at over £5000 if he did all the work. I actually did it for just over £3000 but I did a lot of the work myself

You can get cheaper but do you want to? I had the whole bathroom tanked to prevent water getting into the stud walls for example.
    I want it to last 10+ years and rental properties ( as it will be once I retire) get hammered

renton
    Free Member

This is in a rental and has only got to last a couple of years maybe 3 max. We are then moving in and ripping it all out again and moving a wall.

vinnyeh

If it’s for a rental why are you moving the toilet (could be really expensive) and installing a shower stall?
    Surely you’re not going to be able to recover the cost?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Just re-read, if its for a rental then just replace like for like and freshen up the paint.

How long is a piece of string ?

Asuming reasonable quality kit (from Sovereign) and a good fitter £6-8,000 down South OP. Replace bath/larger shower/new loo and sink/full tiling/change floor/redec/some pipe’s moved/some minor building works. Had a quote just last month, fitter (excellent) first available date was April !

renton
    Free Member

No the shower is there already but needs relocating to another wall. Good point about moving the toilet though. I may see if it will fit where it is when the new bath is in.

stevomcd
    Free Member

I had the whole bathroom tanked to prevent water getting into the stud walls for example.

But that costs very little? Couple of buckets of tanking paint and a paint brush? The paints not cheap, but it’s not hundreds either.

renton
    Free Member

This is what it’s like currently…(not the best pic )

This is how we want to put it again not the best pic but gives you an idea ….

jam-bo

Is the current bathroom broken? If not, why change it for a rental?

I did mine of a similar size for about £1k all in.

senorj

For a rental/short term use I would make the bath fit around the toilet.Replace existing tiling only & buy a shower curtain for the bath. Spend your money when you rip the wall out…
    A lovely conversion with floor to ceiling tiles/underfloor heating/separate shower/decent fittings etc can easily cost waaaaaaay over 4K, just ask my missus.. 😳

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

You might want to delete the address from that post…

Don’t go for the cheapest tut from B&Q. Get some semi decent stuff. The last thing you want with a BTL is to go back on a Saturday night to sort some minor problem. Do it properly, Fit and forget!

Don’t get fancy. Solid basic stuff that works is best.

renton
    Free Member

The toilet is broken so needs replacing and the bath panel is broken but was quite costly in the first place and I can’t find one to replace it. Also the previous tenant has painted the tiles so it looks awful.

somouk
    Free Member

I had a quote recently for a small bathroom completely tiles, new suite with higher end stuff, electrics changed to add a heated mirror, spots and in ceiling speakers etc.

Came in at 6k with a busy reliable local business whoa are known to be a touch more expensive but their workmanship is worth it.

renton
    Free Member

Just had a chap round to give us a quote.

He says if we are knocking the room around in a couple of years then not to go to extravagant. Also suggested tiling over the tiles that are there for now as a cost saving idea.

Anyway quote coming in the next couple of days.

dannybgoode

Also suggested tiling over the tiles that are there for now as a cost saving idea.

We did this first time round and then regretted it when we decided to do the job properly and had the joyous task of having to remove to layers of tile.

There are other areas I’d look to reduce cost before doing this again.

fettlin

Thunder box under the window but on the lh side, normal bath on the rh (oposite way to second pic). Then I’d look at shower board rather than tiles, over the top of what’s there now. Not ideal but could save time and money for a short term fix.

Just gone the whole beans on our new bathroom, full suite with vanity units, 3 walls tiled and new ceiling lights. Doing all the work myself (slowly!) has saved me ££££, but even then half decent stuff and we’re over £2500 just for materials….

tjagain

If its for a rental and only to last a couple of years simply patch up the old bathroom. Curved mdf or ply can make you a bath panel. Or buy a new one – that looks like a fairly standard corner bath. New loo (does it really need replacing or is it just the flush thats broken) strip the paint off the tiles

Even a cheap £2000 bathroom you will not get the money back in rental value. You would need £50 a month more on the rent.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Honestly some of you really need to go DIY lessons. Willing to pay those margins on bathrooms is simply nuts!

petrieboy

Replace the toilet with a new one with its ouflow at the same height for simplicity and any old bath panel. Reconfigure back to how it was before would probably. E fairly easy but still totally pointless if you’re changing again later

tjagain

wrightyson

I’d love to know where you think I could have? I am a decent DIYer – fitted central heating systems, rewired houses etc. Tiling to a high standard is a pro job IMO as is plastering. The tile job I paid for is the best I have ever seen. Far better than any diyer could do

I got 6 grands worth of bathroom for under £4000. I think thats a very good price – complete replaster, beautiful tile job. Nice lighting ( 6 recessed led spots on two switches) Decent but not expensive suite. i9 did all the donkey work – the rip out etc and did a lot of the plumbing to save money. Just disposing of the rubble cost me £400.

Sure I paid the tiler and plastered over a grand in labour. But he did a far better job than I could have done so I am happy with that./ Even if I had done that myself it would still have cost £3000 just in materials and disposal costs

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’ve just renovated my entire house with new windows/doors, entire rewire, entire plaster off and reboard with insulated board then skim to finish, new rads throughout, all new woodwork to door linings skirts and archs, keeping original doors. Cost so far 11.5k. Does not include new kitchen or bathroom admittedly.

senorj

tj- agreed, we factored in the time it would take the DIYer to complete, vs time for the pro as per hour cost.
    No brainer for captain slow here.
    If I didn’t work for a living it’d be easy.
    Op- just saw your pics of the bathroom. Crikey.
    I’d be tempted to leave it for rental.
    Or recreate the “as itwas “image in reverse, as fettlin said.

renton
    Free Member

Yep it’s going to go as it is shown in the second pic.

We’ve had a few people round to view and they have said the only thing that puts them off is the bathroom.

If I can get it done all in for 2k I will be happy.

If it’s done to a reasonable standard we may leave it alone for a few years when we move in.

tjagain

please don’t tile over tiles – its always look shit. I wouldn’t even employ the tiler who suggested it – its a bodge and if he wants to bodge that what else will he bodge? Make sure the bath is properly supported on a good stud framework round all 4 sides. Makes a huge difference

glasgowdan
    Free Member

You’ll def be able to get a good job done for 2-3k all in. So what if other people have paid 5-6k for theirs…good on them. We had a full new bathroom done a few years ago for £2500 mat and labour. Full tiling, floor etc. 6x6ft room. Polish chaps. Decent quality and lasted.

renton
    Free Member

Just to update.

plumber has come back with a quote of £1850 all in including tiling and all plumbing and a new shower.

singletrackmind

Thats a sensible amount . Bathroom work is time consuming and needs doing properly as leaks cost double to sort out . Fix the leak, then the damage caused by he leak .
    Tiling / plastering / plumbing all costs
    I did mine last year , like for like bath swap, same with toilet , recessed shower pipes and fitted a mixer . Got a professional plasterer in for a half day to skim , that was £200. I tiled it out , fitted rad , tiled the floor , fited bog, fitted sink , fitted shower screen .
    Cost me £1200 all in. I was quoted £2800 by a bathroom fitter , who reduced it to £2500 when I told him that was more than my monthly take home pay. Still more than my monthly take home pay . Took me about 7 days all together and had to teach myself to tile as well. Problem solving and many trips to screwfix are what adds to the total time.

wrightyson
    Free Member

As above, a little more like it. Cheapest isn’t always best I’d always agree but some of the stuff I see being spent by people I also know in more than just the cybee world is ridiculous. Boiler swaps are another that grate me. I’ve sourced a 35kw combi,with mag clean, flue kit and full fancy remote stat thing for 750 plus vat. Mention it to some people and they are paying double that just for the boiler because they just take prices on face value. Do your research it’s worth it.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Rough idea of bathroom replacement costs ?’ is closed to new replies.