Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Rough camping for Snowdonia with a car?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Anyone know of a place one could do an overnight camp with a view to climbing a mountain the next day? I’d be driving, so within a short distance of a road. I know I could pay for a campsite, but I was wondering if there was anything better?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’ve only ever paid for camping in Snowdonia so cant help with wild recommendations but if you do change your mind then Gwern Gof Uchaf at the foot of Tryfan is about the closest campsite to a really good scrambly mountain ascent I can think of.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah, stayed there before 🙂 It is good though, apparently open all year too.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Stump up a few measly quid camp at the simple at foot of Cader Idris? Legendary mountain. Beautiful climb. If you’re confident go for the Foxes Path.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/wild-camping-cadair-idris

molgrips
    Free Member

I fancied a camp fire.. most camp sites don’t allow them.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

In that case I suggest maybe Cefn Coed? http://cefncoed.co.uk/wild-camping.html

Still only a short drive to the Cader from there. And there’s always the George III Hotel* for Purple Moose ales and decent scoff if the weather turns Welsh 😉

*Along bonus cycle path (Mawddach Trail) which also goes all the way to the beach or Dolgellau.

Grrr, want to go now.

senorj

I stayed here in June. It has mountains. 🙂

Campsite

ianfitz
    Free Member

Fires allowed at Cae Du on the coast road just north of Tywyn.

Amazing location above the beach with views. Short drive to cader

matt_outandabout

Climb the mountain and wild camp?

There is a reason that 99.9% of Snowdonia has restricted parking, farmers gates locked, fences up etc. It’s because night after night people want to camp next to road. Contribute to the local economy, it’s needed.

molgrips
    Free Member

I wasn’t thinking of climbing Cadair Idris, but some of those sites look great! Definitely something for a family trip.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Rough camping for Snowdonia with a car?’ is closed to new replies.