• This topic has 35 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Muke.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Rough camping Farnborough/Aldershot
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Anyone do this?

All those MOD woods look ideal for a cheeky night out in the woods. I’m sure it’s not allowed though so I definitely wouldn’t ever do it.

philconsequence
    Free Member

used to look after a patient in Fleet who would regularly go and camp in those woods when he needed some time to himself…..

molgrips
    Free Member

Sounds like a good idea!

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I have a couple of mates who have lived in those woods for months at a time. No problems at all. Make sure you are propoerly stashed away and there are no manouvres in the area. A lot of the wood land doesn’t see a squaddie from one year to the next.
    Also, my dad lives right on the edge of the wood and hes paranoid that eastern europeans are living in there by the dozen, but he doesn’t bite.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hehe. Time to get the map out and hunt for the least accessible spot then.

allthepies
    Free Member

Makes a change from the Aviator I guess 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Lol 🙂

No Aviator this time sadly. My currently employer apparently won’t add them to their hotel list. Gutted.

batfink
    Free Member

I live opposite the Aviator….. nice place for a cheeky G&T

batfink
    Free Member

Also…. you could stay at “lakeside” – that will give you the genuine sleeping-rough experience

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

We used to find a good deep fox hole (plenty in there in thick undergrowth) and dig it out further still. A roof can then be made level to the ground. Camp is then invisible to the casual dog walker, not always from the dog though. Actually, lots of cows in there nowerdays as well!! Good luck though 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

One of the best nights out I had was burning through the stack of loyalty points I earned at the Aviator booking a suite for my parents when they flew out of Heathrow and treating them to private dining 🙂

Re the fox hole – I’d be scared of a cow falling on me. I’d consider the Ray Mears style tarp and bivi bag but I own neither, and it’s not as much fun without a camp fire.

Mind you anyone seeing smoke would probably assume it was squaddies, so it could be reasonably safe.

batfink
    Free Member

double post

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

It certainly would be a rough night around Aldershot!

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Let us know when you are there Molly, can organise a night ride & bring hip flasks

Certainly a lot more military activity now than there was but I have a fine idea about somewhere that I think would be safe from being tripped over

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh yeah locations would be welcome.

Swinley looks like it might be better for being really away from people – surely not legal though but fewer sqaddies. Having said that, that would probably increase the chance of detection.

Would probably like somewhere out of sight of actual trails too. And some company could also be good!

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Not sure I was suggesting a love in, just provisions during the evening 🙂

Do you know the bit where the military test track is? Going from Caesars Camp towards Fleet direction on the sandy bit the woods to the right never seem to have anything happening on them. The woods on the left have a nice twisty MTB trail only about a mile around but good for a change of scenery if you find it.

The squaddies dont appear to use this bit – even milatry vehicles on the high speed test track are very few & far between

molgrips
    Free Member

The off-road or the on-road track?

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Off road

There is a stretch of sandy trail about 50m wide & 800m long (just guessing on dimensions, its where the filmed Die another Day hovercraft chase, possibly Carry on Cowboy too) and the area to the East of it has some Deep Dark Woods that never seem to be used

I’ll try & sort a map pic & put it up

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

There are lots of ‘islands’ inside the high speed test track loops that are very rarely visited by anyone save the odd MTBer

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

eelmoor by imnotthealien, on Flickr

molgrips
    Free Member

Nice, thanks 🙂

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

In the bit circled in red

The West side has a rarely used MTB track but going further west than that does get used and there are often soldiers on it. Further East may take you too close to the high speed test track HQ bit

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

I’d be scared of a cow falling on me

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYEkX9QyKvo[/video]

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

To be fair, they don’t put cows in the high speed test track. I think they would see that as unfair on new recruits, and the cows.

allthepies
    Free Member

Are you moving to Farnborough with the Preston project or is this something new ?

molgrips
    Free Member

Now working in Farnborough until Christmas.

allthepies
    Free Member

Just trying to work out if you’re in the same building as me 🙂

Lots of people from Preston turned up today you see.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s a possibility, but I cannot comment on work…

molgrips
    Free Member

Email in profile if you want to find out!

allthepies
    Free Member

OK! <taps nose>

philconsequence
    Free Member

as you’re in f’bro i think we should ride soon molly 🙂

*starts planning excuses for not being as fast*

i’m under strict instructions to take it easy on the bike so i dont arrive at our wedding in plaster!

molgrips
    Free Member

Yep, I have my bike with me Phil. I am keen to get out to Swinley, Tunnel Hill less so cos it’s not as good, but I will still go there 🙂

ATP you could always put on a bike helmet and walk around where your new people have arrived pretending to hold handlebars and making dring dring noises. I’ll let you know if I see you.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Tunnel hill frith hill porridge pot can all be linked to swinley. They are quite good, although not as many lengthy trails as swinley.

philconsequence
    Free Member

are you only about on the weekdays molly?

TooTall
    Free Member

I’d just like to mention the issues with accessing MoD land we’ve seen highlighted on this website over previous months – how we need to play the game to ensure goodwill is maintained.

Promoting further illicit access on an open forum is probably not the best idea. Telling everyone where you find the quietest is a bit daft as well.

Muke
    Free Member

The cafe layby on the Hogs Back used to be the place to go if your looking for Rough and Camp 😉

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Rough camping Farnborough/Aldershot’ is closed to new replies.