Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Rotors on or off for aeroplane
  • zbonty

Quick poll- bike in old (basic) padded bag, not box. Wheels are in bags but I normally whip the rotors off for peace of mind. Maybe the rear mech too, taped inside stays.

Not bragging about escaping the rain, honest. I got piss wet earlier in jeans on the commuter with new SKS mudguards sat at home and bike awaiting a good service/winter prep session!

allthegear
    Free Member

yes, take them off

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Take them off. I left the rotors on once, because I was being lazy on a return trip, one knackered rotor.

AlexSimon

I took mine off and sandwiched them between two offcuts of mdf for protection.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Flown with my bike a half dozen times, only bent one disc but it was a pain to get right again – I take them off now and stick them in my case amongst my clothes.

honourablegeorge

They can get bent if you don’t, mine have in the past. I always feel I should but never actually do it.

dbcooper
    Free Member

Off. I know its boring assembling and disassembling, we have a cheap B&q electric screwdriver for speeding things up when it comes to packing and unpacking. Has a really low torque setting so it does them up finger tight then you can tighten them properly.
    Edit – I’ve been told it was from machine MArt like this one.
    https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/060213385

zbonty

I’ll do em up by hand. Got to keep the weight down to 23kg!

Potdog
    Free Member

Deffo off. Equally rear mech always off as you said.

oxym0r0n

Just to be different – if they are facing inwards and not touching anything… On

Rear mech off though

Never had a problem. Damper cartridges on the other hand…

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

This year I forgot to remove them for the outbound flight,took them off for the return flight.
    I always remove the rear mech,only damage I’ve had over the years is a bent outer chainring,it was bad enough straightening it out,I really wouldn’t fancy having to straighten out a rotor at the beginning of the holiday…

BigDummy
    Free Member

if they are facing inwards and not touching anything… On

Just to note in passing (I know because I’ve kept the instructions) that Evoc say rotors outwards when packing their bags. I think because they are protected by the platic tubes in the wheel compartments.

Personally I use this as an excuse to leave therm on, but always took them off when I had a basic bag.

🙂

stewartc
    Free Member

Just to be different – if they are facing inwards and not touching anything… On, Rear mech off though

+1, usually do 3-4 trips a year and no issues to date.

rickmeister

Take them off… But,

Don’t cable tie them inside the spokes of a wheel, then cut both cable tie and spokes when putting it all back together….

Rear mech off too, masking tape for both of these…

mrlugz
    Free Member

1 bent disc was enough for me to start taking them off when packing. Easy jet did replace it though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Rotors on or off for aeroplane’ is closed to new replies.