Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Rotor size
  • pondy
    Free Member

After some new rotors for my hemlock, General trail riding, no alpine descents. Usually ride cannock and Wales every now and then, am a bit bad for dragging backs though. Anyways currently have hope saw 203 and 183, many years use they have been knocks about a bit and now seen better days, want to try some hope floating rotors, are 180 and 160mm ok for the most UK stuff?

chrishc777
    Free Member

Depends on your weight and what brakes you are using really. The weight saving is minimal so I just run 203-180 on both bikes

nickc

depends on your weight really. 203mm discs are way too grabby for me (72kg) 180 both ends

pondy
    Free Member

I weight 13 stone with hope tech 3 e4

austy
    Free Member

I weigh 14 1/2 stone and have the hope race e4 on my sb66 with hope floating rotors cos i’m a tart with 180 front and 160 rear and never felt under braked.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

203/180 or 180/180

160 on the back is a bit meh for long descents and the weight saving going from 180 to 160 on the back is minimal.

chiefgrooveguru

Since I went to matched rotor sizes front and back it’s given me the confidence to haul much harder on the front. That and having a DHR2 or Shorty on the front! I had a 160 on the back for a short while on the full-sus and it felt a bit weak though it was fine on the hardtail, so now 183 at both ends with Hope M4 or E4.

Northwind

Depends on your brakes a lot too… I usually have 203/160, I’d be fine day to day with 180/160 but I like the extra insurance and margin for error you get with a bigger rotor. But I have brakes with ridiculously good feel and progression so I don’t really need to worry about grabbing or excess power. As above, the weight difference is small so personal taste should be the deciding factor, I just like the balance this gives.

I do go up to 180mm on the back for the alps and occasionally in the UK- for a fort william dh trip frinstance. No point for most UK riding though.

smatkins1
    Free Member

I prescribe new rotors at either current size to save buying new adapters, or smaller 180/160 will be fine… but you must stop dragging the rear brake!! 😉

mindmap3
    Free Member

I always use the biggest rotors I can; the hard tail is 203/180 and the DH bike is 203 both ends.

Ambrose

I’m 95kg. In the Alps I use 203s at each end. I used to boil 185s due to poor technique. It is not a welcome experience.

At home in Wales 185s are more than adequate.

I do however use 4 pot calipers but the main consideration in the end is about energy (heat) dissipation. Lots of metal to absorb and then dissipate the heat.

pondy
    Free Member

Thanks for the replys, I found some hope floating rotors cheap, the same size as I currently use

SirHC

Hope E4’s on the Reign, 203/183 rotors
    Hope X2’s on the Trance, 183/160 rotors

Wouldn’t want to run anything less on either bike. Having more brake than you need is never a bad thing!

Kahurangi

I have weak pathetic wee hands so I go as big as I can manage, yet keeping the front larger. Result = 203/180. 😀

Milkie
    Free Member

I am surprised they haven’t brought out 220/250mm rotors yet! We may not need them, but I bet they sell like hot cakes. 😆

Kahurangi

They should, they’ll make those dinner plate LP sized cassettes look slightly more reasonable 😆

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

It’s not just about power, it’s fatigue as well. The bigger the rotor, the less force you have to apply to the levers to get the same power, yeah?

If you’re doing a lot of runs in a day, that will help to keep you relaxed. So many people on here go to great lengths to increase comfort and decrease hand and forearm pain (hundreds of pounds on carbon bars, ESI grips etc etc) – yet simply going up a rotor size would do a lot for them over the course of a days ride or dozens of shuttle assisted runs down a rocky downhill track.

superfli
    Free Member

180/160. On both bikes. Never had any heat issues, or fading and that’s racing enduro, mini dh, and alps racing. Formula the one brakes.
    However, I think I’m the only one out of my riding mates that does use that size. Personal taste

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Rotor size’ is closed to new replies.