Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Rotor shims
  • kaysee

Following some emergency brake pad swapping around (damn you, royal mail!) before yesterdays trip to the Quantocks, I find myself with a troublesome problem.

The spacing has always been tight on my combination of wheel\forks\brakes, but the new pads are slightly thicker, and adjusting the caliper to clear the rotor means that a a couple of the spokes just touch the caliper on occasion.

I’ve found +1mm Hope 6 bolts spacers online, but I don’t want to push the problem the ‘other’ way and either foul the rotor with the forks or run our of adjustment at the caliper.

Has anyone used any other spacers for this job? I’ve found reference to a Syntace shim pack of 8 0.2mm shims, but I can’t find UK stock, so it’s a long wait or expensive postage.

Would anyone have a spare 0.2mm (maybe a couple?) of shims they’d swap for gratitude and\or a beer? Maybe a +1mm Hope I could try, see how things go?

cp

File the bit of calliper the spokes are fouling?

kaysee

I’m using that bit of the caliper to keep the oil on the inside, unfortunately.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

What wheelset is it? I had this problem with an Arkose, Mavic Aksium disc wheels and a TRP Spyre caliper. As you say, the Hope 1mm shim made the problem worse, the caliper then touched the fork. I just filed the corner off the caliper arm; not ideal but did the trick.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Another option would be to use a bigger disc.

cp

If you’re thinking 0.25mm is going to make the difference, then 0.25 filed of the calliper is going to be fine.

Which bit of the calliper is fouling?

kaysee

Magura durin, formula Oro caliper and 26″ crank bros wheels, with fat aluminium spokes. Worn pads work ok, the rest works fine on Fox F100 forks. It’s just a very tight combination for tolerance.

It’s not helped by the 160mm rotor, it might be a 180mm is the easiest solution.

Do you have the hope spacer still? Might be interested…

oxym0r0n

Are you local to the Quantocks? I have a Hope spacer…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Do you have the hope spacer still? Might be interested…

Yeh I do I think. Although I seriously CBA going to the post office at the moment……

kaysee

Not local to the quantocks, was up for the day hence the panic brake repairs when Royal mail totally failed to do what they are actually supposed to do.

If the spacer is spare, would a swap for a PayPal pint be in order?

Email address is in profile if you are up for it.

Cheers all.

adsh
    Free Member

Syntace are the only show in town to do it right. Work very well. Order Monday and ze Germans will have it to you by thursday.

kaysee

Quick update, thanks to COG Cycle Design and Repair I’ve just fitted a 1mm spacer and my rotor is now perfectly central between spokes and forks. Panic over!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Rotor shims’ is closed to new replies.