Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Rothiemurcus/Glenmore, Inshriach/Feshiebridge route advice, if you please!
  • Kit
    Free Member

Hello, I've done a few rides in the above areas, but each time I never know where I am as I've been with a group and just followed the leader. The only bit I made a point of remembering was the Lairig Ghru climb/descent so some pointers would be good!

Where's the SXC course – is that in Inshriach Forest?

And any idea where these photos were taken:

Kenny Wilson's book seems to cover some stuff in Rothiemurcus so that will be a starting point and will just go hunting for sweet singletrack, but I'm going to need some starting points for Feshiebridge!

Many thanks,
    Kit

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Carn Ban Mor is the best trail I've ever ridden and is just a bit into the cairngorms from Aviemore- maybe 10 minutes away. I just pushed up then went straight back down. I can't tell if that bottom picture is from the bottom of that ride or not, though- it might be, but I don't think so.

The excellent SXC course is at Badaguish.

Kit
    Free Member

I know the Carn Ban Mor route, Luke, and that 2nd photo isn't from it 🙂 Planning to do that on Saturday.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

It looks suspiciously like the bit at the bottom.

Sadly I only know a couple of routes up there- because I'm only every in Scotland for the colder months it's usually too snowy! You'll like the SXC course, but I don't really know how to describe the location.

Kit
    Free Member

The Badaguish tip is useful anyway – I should remember stuff when I get there, but obviously helps to head in the right direction…

13thfloormonk

That bottom pic is almost certainly the top of the Badaguish descent. We played around on the circuit for ages, obviously you're not allowed to use your shifters once you start, 32×16 all the way! Some of the sections at the bottom definitely merit riding twice.

I keep meaning to go back and explore Inshriach more, follow Kenny W's route to the top of Creag Dubh (assuming you find the right Creag Dubh) and just explore, countless great trails, most of which rejoin the landrover track climb.

stabilizers

There was a post about 5days ago on Aviemore. No tags.
    Here is part of my reply on Feshie. I think the 2nd photo is from the top of the single track area on the west side of the river but could easily be the Lairig Grhu

Glen Feshie on the West side of the river. You have the maps so the area marked good single track is good single track. There are a few trees down and it is a bit of a maze but good riding. The route in the inset on the map is good in the dry. Beware that the bridge further up the glen that was unsafe is now gone. You can ford the river 50 yards down river its very wide but its only about 6 inches deep in low water when I did it.

stabilizers

Mr Monk…. I do believe you are correct

Kit
    Free Member

Ian, can you remember where the start of it is?

stabilizers – looked up the thread, thanks. I'll be picking up a map from Bothy Bikes. Once I'm started, I should be good to find my way around.

debaser

Think the first one could be one of the fords coming down towards Loch an Eilean from Lochan Deo… seem to remember riding something like that coming back down from Loch Einich although there are loads of similar fords in the area.

Second is definitely the top of Badaguish. Fantastic wee trails up there, worth a few laps.

Always enjoy hunting for new stuff around Aviemore and I've never been dissapointed with what I've found. Bothy Bikes are very helpful too.

Kit
    Free Member

Think the first one could be one of the fords coming down towards Loch an Eilean from Lochan Deo…

You could be right, but like you said it might be anywhere in that area!

13thfloormonk

The Badaguish trails start just behind the Badaguish Outdoor Centre, there's a fireroad that heads into the forest and some singletrack leading off it, approx NH955118.

Its such a small area that you could just bimble around and probably find the good stuff, but we had the bothy bikes map.

Kit
    Free Member

Cheers Ian! How's the gravel rash? 🙂

13thfloormonk

Healing very slowly, should really have invested in some of those hypercolloid thingies.

15 hours on the bike on Saturday is unlikely to help… 🙄

Kit
    Free Member

15?! What on earth are you doing?

13thfloormonk

Leaving Milngavie at midnight, attempting the West Highland Way again.

If I manage it this time then I can burn the mountainbikes and be done with them once and for all! 😀

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

The Bothy Bikes guys maintain the Badaguish trails IIRC so can tell exactly how to get there. IMO Carn Ban Mor is better riding up the LR track to the east and coming down the singletrack – makes a nice loop.

Kit
    Free Member

IMO Carn Ban Mor is better riding up the LR track to the east and coming down the singletrack – makes a nice loop.

What's the alternative? Going up the singletrack to come screaming down the LR track?! Does someone recommend that? They must be mad…

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Don't forget to go to the Nursery at Inshriach for tea n cake and bird spotting.

stabilizers

And before you ask they have no vacancy for a plate licker at the cake shop. 😆

druidh
    Free Member

Oh – the section of Inshriach Forest just north of Glen Feshie/Feshiebridge has some lovely, rooty tracks in it. I've done a wee bit of exploring but not enough to form any sort of map (even a mental one). The path that runs South from Loch an Eilean to Loch Ghamhna and then to that section of forest is one of the loveliest I've ever ridden. Well worth doing, even as an out and back.

Kit
    Free Member

Thanks Colin 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

Oh – there's a nice descent from the Coire Cas car park too. The path builders tried to make it a bit more interesting by laying in some bike-traps (this was just prior to LR(S)A….)

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Rothiemurcus/Glenmore, Inshriach/Feshiebridge route advice, if you please!’ is closed to new replies.