Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Rothiemurchus – Any truth in the rumour that they are seeking to discourage mtb?
  • Sanny
    Free Member

Like the title says, has anyone heard anything or know anything about this? I was talking with a mate the other night who had heard this mentioned so was wondering if there is any truth in it or is it just storm in a tea cup stuff?

Cheers

Sanny

BoardinBob

If true, given the access laws, how could they actually restrict it?

geoffj

Maybe just the locals trying to keep the trails to themselves?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Sanny
    Free Member

The jist was that my friend had heard that the move by Bothy Bikes out of the Estate was reflective of the Estate seeking not to actively encourage bikers in the area. I have no idea how much truth there is in this though it didn’t come accross as mischief making. I’m conscious that these kind of things can grow arms and legs so if anyone can shed any light on this, I’d be keen to hear it.

druidh
    Free Member

seeking to discourage mtb?

seeking not to actively encourage bikers

Which?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Was there not some complaints about the trails being publicised? I seem to remember something about this. Local trails for local people

druidh
    Free Member

TJ – that would be the infamous secret trails at Badaguish. Perhaps someone got the wrong end of the stick?

swavis

I didn’t think they were that secret. Weren’t they used for an xc race not so long ago?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Thats the one Druidh. Sounds to me like chinese whispers perhaps

druidh
    Free Member

Apparently, they are secret as long as they are not publicised on the internet, even if they are on printed maps for sale in and around the area.

vorlich
    Free Member

I’d have thought that Rothimurchus would be trying to actively promote it, given tourism is a huge source of income for them:

http://www.rothiemurchus-activities.co.uk/Activities.aspx

However, I do recall the trail scotland book noted they ask mtbers to stick to the paths and not go hunting the singletrack

geoffj

Apparently, they are secret as long as they are not publicised on the internet, even if they are on printed maps for sale in and around the area.

Surely not. :mrgreen:

Sanny
    Free Member

Druidh

Bit of both was what came across. Like I said, I’m not close to this and have only heard rumours hence the question.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

I spoke to the pathbuilders (on site) last April. I was on the bike / trail above RL heading down to Picadilly.

Jist of that convo was their (and the Estates) perception of the damage caused by bikes. Due, in no small part, to publicity on the web / in mags…

I asked about the link trail over from the Lodge and was told they were leaving that ‘as is’ to discourage mtb use in order to preserve the intergrity of the trail down to Picadilly. I mentioned also the new pathworks from Bynack More > Ryvoan as they ‘appeared to me’ to be very anti bike in their design. They weren’t involved but he reckoned there was some truth in that.

As a group I dont believe we have representation / dialogue with Landowners (in the same way the SMC, Ramblers et al have for example)nor am I aware of any mtb org that directly helps with pathbuilding etc. Personally I feel these are issues more worthy of debate…

Diane
    Free Member

Hope not 🙁

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Hope not what Diane?

To add – I know nothing of the BB situ but the Estate actively promote and encourage mtb use on the lower forest trails. To which end they have widened / sanitised all the major paths below Picadilly. Very different to what most of us here would consider mtb…

Notice also that Loch an Eilein was getting this treatment last year. Be a sad day if that’s ever extended out towards Loch Gamhna ;-(

druidh
    Free Member

Nothing to see out towards Loch Gamhna

billyboy
    Free Member

Personally I think these trail rebuilders/builders have a secret snicker everytime they construct a wide water bar as they imagine how it is going to obstruct the flow of the trail for mountain bikers and they have an extra little giggle at the thought of how many blown tyres it is going to cause.

Sanny
    Free Member

Interesting about the link trail as the last time I used it, it was a boggy mess. In discouraging mtbers, the knock on effect is to discourage walkers as well.

What’s the story with the path up Bynack Mor? I’ve not ridden that for over a year. Any pics of how it now looks and what’s been done?

I gather Carn Ban Mor has been sanitised also.

Cheers

Sanny

druidh
    Free Member

Sanny – Member
    Interesting about the link trail as the last time I used it, it was a boggy mess. In discouraging mtbers, the knock on effect is to discourage walkers as well.

And why not. Erosion is erosion regardless of who causes it.

Personally, I think they should ban the bluddy horses, but since they actually belong to the estate, that’s probably a wee bit harsh!

swavis

Personally, I think they should ban the bluddy horses

I’ll raise a glass to that! 😉

HeatherBash
    Free Member

It’s hardly discouraging walkers – they mostly come up the main path. The Estate know that mtbr’s use the road / track as a loop. BTW their next task was pathwork on Braeriach and I’m guessing the LG side of the Chalamain Gap must be on the radar – the Gap is certainly getting easier as the years pass by 😉

BM has muckle great drainage ditches – shallow but just about the track length of the average mtb. CBM, so called, (it’s the Foxhunters path)has had pathwork done just above and below the tree line. Hardly surprising really – 10 years ago I doubt more than hundred folk had ever ridden it. Now it gets blabbed about endlessly on here and elsewhere as a must do on the Scottish circuit…

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

I cycled up the Bynack Mor path last April and it was great as an ascent, very smooth and ridable upto about 850 ASL, the path down the other side was a bitch but fun and very techy 🙂

I would imagine that coming down the smooth Bynack more path wouldn’t give any excitement.

Diane
    Free Member

Bash Heather – I hope that ‘they’ are not trying to discourage mtbers at Rothiemurchus. Aviemore rocks 😀 (And I only dided a bit of it)

iainc

surely a call to Dave ? at Bothy would nip any rumours in the bud ? t’interweb has a knack of perpetuating and developing myths ‘growing arms and legs even’….. hey ho, we can always go ride the summit anyway 😆

kitebikeski
    Free Member

I had heard that the owner doesn’t like mountain bikers as they don’t think that they make any money out of them, and this was part of the of the reason for ending Bothy Bikes lease.

This is despite that fact that they have a cafe opposite the old BB shop.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Must admit I always thought BB location at Rothiemurchus was position A. Dalfaber, relatively speaking, is at the arse end of nowhere… There must have been some very compelling reasons.

>as they don’t think that they make any money out of them,<

On the contrary – they are indirectly creaming it out of the mtb fraternity. Been riding up there for > 20 years and my family, extended family and our friends have spent many £thousands on all the activities they offer.

CraigW
    Free Member

Maybe they think they can make more money by hiring out Segways.

sniff
    Free Member

Or maybe they will just start hiring bikes directly themselves for the family market and direct them to their £2 map of three family routes?

rothiemurchus
    Free Member

Hey folks,

Back in 1989 and 1990 Rothiemurchus Estate invited the UK round of the Grundig Mountain Biking World Championship to Scotland (www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qet7pWVfhI8) but Strathpeffer lured them away in 1991. Since then Rothiemurchus have let premises to Adam Gordon followed by David Keegan to provide MTB hire and services.

The Rothiemurchus path network is enjoyed by over 370,000 walkers, mountain bikers and horse riders every year and over the last few years has proved especially suitable and popular with families and leisure bikers. Mike’s Bikes will be opening a MTB hire and accessory shop focusing on families and leisure bikers in the Old Tennis Pavilion – formerly Bothy Bikes. They will retain their Aviemore shop which caters for all levels of Mountain Biking and are now an approved Specialized 29er test centre.

The increase in visitor numbers has led to increased pressure on our paths so on-going maintenance is necessary to ensure the quality is maintained. The income from commercial activities such as car parking and bike hire is an essential part of helping everyone to care for this natural, unique but sensitive environment we are fortunately surrounded by.

sniff
    Free Member

“Or maybe they will just start hiring bikes directly themselves for the family market and direct them to their £2 map of three family routes?”

I think someone nicked my idea 🙂

Welcome to the forum Rothiemurchus.

what_tyres
    Free Member

I visit Aviemore pretty regularly. It’s not that many years ago that I was told quite categorically by a Rothiemurchus person that I there was no biking on the trail I was on. The Estate have always been anti biking and have stated as much over the years.

Rothiemurchus have a clear agenda to discourage anyone from their land who they can’t make top dollar from. Mountain bikers have simply been seen as a hinderance to the cash cow the Grant family were born into. The right to roam forced them to stop directly discouraging mtbs and other ‘outsiders’ from the land but has not stopped back door tactics. There is only one reason that the new gates have been placed around Loch an Eilein etc – to deter bikes. Most of the gates have a few feet of fence either side then stop – clearly there for no other purpose. It speaks chapters that Rothiemurchus can only refer to a single event 20 years ago to create the idea that they welcome bikes.

Despite being in receipt of huge amounts of public money to preserve, develop and maintain the landscape the estate still acts as a feudal landowner dictating to the masses. Ask the organisers of the Aviemore Half Marathon. Rothiemurchus refused to allow the marathon to use the Old Logging Way for a couple of hours each year forcing hundreds of runners needlessly onto the road causing traffic chaos and several near misses. Who funded a good chunk of the Logging Way??? We did… Who has to doff cap for permission to use our trail? Us again…

If you’re not shelling out for Quad Bikes, Shooting, Go Ape or the rest of the activities Rothiemurchus want to sell you then you are clearly not welcome. As independent people bikers will always be seen as vermin by the estate and treated with equal distain.

Bothy Bikes have clearly been made to suffer for the increasing popularity of Aviemore as a biking destination – without their promotion, enthusiasm and encouragement of all sectors of biking, Rothiemurchus wouldn’t have to slum it with the mtb oiks despite the huge amount of direct and indirect money us bikers bring to the local economy.

Come the revolution…

druidh
    Free Member

I go to Aviemore a few times every year and have never been made to feel unwelcome by anyone on the Rothiemurchus Estate. Maybe it depends what sort of attitude you go with?

Many years ago, the tracks round the back of Loch Morlich had big deer fences on them – with suitably tall gates. Nice to see that these all disappeared too.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Well I spent two weeks at Rothiemurchus last summer. Camped in their campsite, spent a lot of money in their shop and mostly rode my bike.

For camping and food etc I probably spent £300 with them so clearly MTBing does bring in money.

Wasn’t made to feel unwelcome at all either and will probably go back next year. Burma road – mmmmmmm

Spin
    Free Member

surely a call to Dave ? at Bothy would nip any rumours in the bud

That’s where the rumour came from.

epicyclo

bainbrge

what_tyres, what are you on aboot? Talk about a chip on ones shoulder…

I’m not embarrassed to say that I contribute financially to the upkeep of the estate through being a member, as well as spendng money there. I’ve been riding mountain bikes at Rothiemurchus regularly for about five years without any hint that the estate was trying to prevent me from doing so. There are several bike hire places in Aviemore, and whilst it is a shame that Bothy Bikes are moving (although probably beneficial for my wallet), maybe Mikes Bikes could just afford to pay more for the lease?

I love mountain biking and I’m happy to advocate for it, but people have to remember that places like Rothiemurchus don’t just exist for us. Trail ‘sanitisation’ is perfectly legitimate if you want to maintain paths for all users, not just a minority who want techy trails. Even the mountain biking fraternity isn’t all about techy trails all the time, some of us just enjoy the opportunity to be in the countryside. I’m getting sick of the sense of entitlement of some people.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Posting to echo some of the comments made here – been going to Aviemore for 30 odd years as a hill walker, climber, mountain biker and leader of residential activities for young people. Can’t think of one occasion when I’ve had any sense of being unwelcome – in fact I’ve very often commented to people that it’s one of the friendliest places I’ve been.

The nearest thing I could come to a negative comment would be to observe the gusto with which the wee mannie at Loch an Eileen tracks you down for your cash if you park there, but he’s very cheery about lightening your wallet by a couple of quid.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

The nearest thing I could come to a negative comment would be to observe the gusto with which the wee mannie at Loch an Eileen tracks you down for your cash if you park there, but he’s very cheery about lightening your wallet by a couple of quid.

He’s a legend. We snuck into the car park under cover of darkness, tried to sneak out on our bikes before he arrived in the morning. He caught us, but we said we had no cash on us but that we’d pay on our return.

Being November, we figured he’d leave his post as soon as it got dark. So we completed our ride, got soaked to the skin, drank coffee and ate cakes in the Ord Bhan cafe, mooched around Bothy Bikes till well after darkness fell, then headed back to the car park. Just when we thought we’d outwitted him, he appeared in his car, and duely followed us back to the camper for the cash.

italspark
    Free Member

the m.c. speaks the truth , hes a bigger pest than the midges

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Rothiemurchus – Any truth in the rumour that they are seeking to discourage mtb?’ is closed to new replies.