• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Big-M.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Rotator cuff repair
  • barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Hi. I’ve posted on here previously talking about the fact that I was recently involved in a motorcycle accident which left me with several serious injuries. I’ve already had surgery to pin and plate my fractured wrist, and am currently awaiting further surgery on my knee (badly torn meniscus), and for the damage to my shoulder (this was dislocated, hanging about 6 – 8″ below its normal position and rotated completely around so it was hanging in the reverse position). Ten weeks on from the crash, I’m still having to wear a strap and support to immobilise my arm, and am still having to take scary amounts of strong pain killers. I’m due to attend the fracture clinic later today to discuss surgery, as although the bone is in position, there is massive damage to the muscle / nerves, etc. To be frank, I’m shitting myself. I’ve already been advised that it is ‘unlikely’ I’ll be able to return to my job as a psychiatric nurse in an acute / inpatient setting, due to the unpredictable nature of the job and the fact that my shoulder, even with further surgery and physio, will be inherently unstable. I’m worried about other possible changes to my future as well – I know it may sound petty, but motorbikes, and to a slightly lesser degree mountain bikes, are a big part of my life, and despite the recent accident, it’s something I’m not ready to give up on just yet. The other thing that’s getting me down is that I’ve had to give up drumming and leave the band I was playing for (they had gigs coming up and I was unable to give any sort of reassurances that I’d be able to play again in future). I realise that this all sounds a bit self pitying, so what I really want to know is, has anyone on here had similar injuries, and if so, what sort of recovery did they make?
    The guy that hit me (yet another case of ‘I didn’t see you’, though why he didn’t hear me (1.6 Harley with more or less no silencing) is anyones guess, has admitted full responsibility, and his insurance company are, surprisingly, being quite helpful, so I’m not too worried from a financial point of view.

brant
    Free Member

I had a shoulder that I could pop out at will, or would do it accidentally.
    I can now hang off things with that arm alone after NHS surgery.

Ymmv.

MadBillMcMad

Whether you have an op or not you should be doing physio NOW.

Suss out a good sports physio & use them to supplement NHS physio.

After breaking collarbone & shoulder blade last year I can not reccomend the process enough. When I went to the NHS they gave me some exercises that the my physio mate laughed at, saying they were exercises for an old lady.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

My injuries were must less severe but at one point I couldn’t lift my arm above my shoulder without a lot of pain.

I tried all the stretches/exercises etc but the thing that sorted it out for me was trying to swim around the island on my first holiday to the Maldives.

I only swam for 40 minutes but I used an extended breaststroke action with my arms going from above my head all the way round to meet in front of my hips. And no leg action.

Next morning I awoke with my arm above my head, all the pain had gone.

Since then I go ever year or two and every other day I go for an island swim, which generally takes 90 minutes at the islands I have been to (Biyadhoo and Vilamendhoo – both with decent reefs to swim round). I worked out one year I had done at least 10000 stokes like this in the holiday – plus more from my copious time spent snorkeling.

It really bulks up your muscles in a short period and has been really good for my arms.

Because you have a snorkel and mask on your head is straight and so the swimming is easy. Because you have fins on then swimming strength is not such an issue. Plus you have lots of fish to look at and keep you company on the swim.

This year I had a bad off at FOD two weeks before and some swelling around the AC area, but I still managed some swims and the recovery accelerated and I even built up some muscles.

At home I use a Macebell to try to keep the shoulders in a good state.

Well worth the money considering the rehab return.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I’m attending physio every two weeks at present, but there’s nothing that they can do prior to surgery due to the extent of the muscle damage. Movement to my lower arm is ok, I’m just not able to lift above my elbow.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I’ve had more than my share of broken bones, broken faces and injuries over the years to believe that anything is possible in terms of recovery. a lot of it is down to your own determination and self belief. So if you want to get back to mountain biking you will. Don’t expect miracle or overnight recovery, but have some self confidence that it can happen. You might hear over the next few months a lot of negativity from professionals saying you wont be able to do this or that, try not to pay too much attention. And yes do the physio. They are dark age torturers but it will help. Have some faith. Set yourself small goals to achieve an end goal and don’t rush.

hora
    Free Member

I can’t offer any meaningful advice, all my injuries have been isolated/one at a time. It must be a challenge and all I can offer is healing vibes. I had to work hard on my arm/shoulder post-rotor cuff. All the best. 🙂

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

I lost the use of my dominant (right) arm for almost a year, due to a motor bike accident.
    Collar bone cut through the nerve to my arm, after quite a bit f surgery and physio it’s now at 75% which is as good as it’ll get.

I use to wear a shoulder strap called an omotrain as this stopped the shoulder dropping out of it’s socket (subluxing), this was worth it’s weight in gold!

While it was knackered, the physio girls got me to do exercises that kept it’s range of movement so the joints wouldn’t seize up, hydrotherapy was an excellent aid to recovery, followed later by swimming (as already mentioned up there).

I modified my single speed bike by butchering an old trigger shifter and using it on the left as a brake lever.

NABD is good for any advice and modifications to get back on a motorbike, should you need them.

This was all back in 2006-2009 and it seemed easy to get referrals and help from physio/OT on the NHS.

Good luck with the recovery.

cr500dom
    Free Member

You need to talk to Lawmanmx on here 😉
    I`ll let him tell his story but to recover from that to where he is now is superb :mrgreen:

I would also go and see Brian “The bone welder” Simpson in Ipswich.

The best Physio in the UK (Probably the world) for Motorcycle injuries.

Most of the UK`s BSB / WSB / MotoGP riders have him on speed dial and he is the first place they go after an off.

I cant stress enough how badly you need to see him

bedmaker

* puts motorbike on gumtree*

Big-M
    Free Member

agree with cr500dom, Brian Simpson is excellent, a number of friends have visited him, he knows his stuff.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Rotator cuff repair’ is closed to new replies.