Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Rotator cuff injury, what treatment, how long off swimming?
  • AdamT

Yep, I’ve been diagnosed with above. I don’t think it’s too bad as it’s not _really_ painful. I have a physio next thu but am curious as to the treatment and/or how long it might take to recover.

Thanks, A

CHB

took me about 2-3 months for it to feel normal

AdamT

eeuueeewww, doesn’t sound great. The Tri season is about to start and I’ve got a few races coming up. I’ll be gutted if I’m out for too long as I’m in much better shape at the moment than I was this time last year.

MrSmith
    Free Member

about 4-6 weeks. the physio was easy to do and if you religiously follow the exercise plan it will heal quicker. with my injury i had to use my muscles to pull everything back into place (my shoulder blade was sticking out as well) as there isn’t any other way of getting the joint back to normal.
    i think i substituted the blue band they gave me with an inner tube as it offered more resistance when doing some of the exercises.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Mine – I still have slightly restricted movement in that arm. Nasty tear tho 🙁 Scar tissue in the joint capsule.

So it all depends on the severity – take your physios advice.its ligatment and tendon damage so be thinking months not weeks until its as good as it is going to be

it depends which part of it you have damaged and whether that bit is under stress when yo are swimming. If you can swim without pain then you are not doing more damage. Take the physios advice

Ask your GP about a steroid injection into the ligament. It is supposed to help healing but many GPS won’t have the experience to get it in the right place and its freaking sore. I refused one

antigee

3-4 months was my experience without serious drugs as was just an overuse/poor training in past thing

this time included building some strength so could start climbing again without damaging again

Physio though i was doing pretty well in early stages and quizzed me on what i was doing and seemed a bit shocked when i said was actually doing the stretching exercises 4 times a day

– found riding MTB made me sore – combination of the shaking and/or hitting the ground! but road should be ok if training for a Tri – running a bit of discomfort but stretching afterwards under the influence of ibuprofen seemed to work without retarding recovery

lots of self help stuff on climbing sites as a pretty common injury
    good luck – i felt in early stages that i wasn’t going to recover but it did come with effort at least with the severity i had

antigee

edit swimming no idea but i know it hurt and i didn’t need an excuse not to do!
    edit edit – b0ll*cks and no beer yet

singletrackmind

I have different strength bands that I wrap around the door handle. I then have to stretch them out , hold them under tension, then slowly relaease them. This works both ways, like extension and compression.
    Supposed to do 3 sets of 10 every day. but I never do the whole lot.

Ewan
    Free Member

2-3 months for me. I did mine fairly badly stacking at Glentress. Comedy putting t-shirts on tho!

Get a physio – I did after a month, I imagine it would of fixed a lot faster if I’d gone in the first place rather than gritting my teeth and manning up.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Rotator cuff injury, what treatment, how long off swimming?’ is closed to new replies.