Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Rosetta is it real ? Technology out of date…
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

Dunno about you lot but I’m quite excited about the output data from it.
    Pretty neat thing to do, land a probe on a fast moving object.

Where do we go to find out this kinda thing?

wwaswas

The NASA website’s a pretty good resource.

andytherocketeer

Doesn’t all this stuff rely on even older IT – whatever was leading edge /reliable when they started development?

kinda, but we had 64bit IT kit way back well over a decade ago. almost 2 decades in fact.
    and the reliable kit tends not to include M$ or Apple 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MSP

and the reliable kit tends not to include M$ or Apple

Hahahahahahahahahaha, edit: actually I should be careful what I say on public forums.

maxtorque

For people who like pictures of old tech, when it was beautiful to look at, some of these pics are worth a look:

old electronics

They don’t make em like that^^ any more!

gwaelod
    Free Member

data can travel at the speed of light

an obvious solution to interstellar travel will be to download youreself out of your current body, and then beam yourself across the galaxy using radio waves and then upload yourself into a 3d printed organic avatar of your own body at the other end. The code for your body will be in the metadata appended to the digital representation of your body, and it will be what is needed for the 3d printer.

Back on earth your now “empty” body will be maintained in a sort of boarding kennel for souless, empty bodies…it’ll be like Abercrombie&Fitch.

Duffer
    Free Member

[clarification]

It was a joke.

[/clarification]

Damn, outmaneuvered again! 😉

ononeorange

Regardless of the above, surely if it’s been in standby mode for the last few years then it will require endless reboots followed by “not responding” messages with the little circle going round in a grumpy huff?

GrahamS

an obvious solution to interstellar travel will be to download youreself out of your current body

You’d like this book:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altered_Carbon

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

I love the assumption that an interstellar probe will be made of the same shit they sell you in argos.

I mean, do you honestly think NASA just popped out to Dixons to pick up a couple of laptops and grabbed a solar panel from B&Q on the way back?

Na, surely they’d go to Maplins?

woody2000

Awesome 😀

AlexSimon

maxtorque – they do in the world of Hi-Fi:

andytherocketeer

nice.
    decals are stuck on upside down though 😉

i’d have had some nice valves on show.

neilthewheel

So if it is travelling at the speed of light, and you turn on the headlights, what happens?”
    This is the kind of question Einstein used to ask himself. He concluded that the light from the headlights would appear to travel away at the speed of light relative to the motion of the spacecraft, for an observer travelling on the space ship.
    the speed of light is constant, regardless of the speed of the observer.

neilthewheel

Ps the space ship could not actually reach the speed of light for reasons already mentioned.

andytherocketeer

there was another thread the other day for einsteinian physics and light mach.
    the big bang was caused by the the collective brains of the previous universe exploding after trying to understand that stuff.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

They don’t make em like that^^ any more!

There’s a whole bunch of stuff that looks exactly like that being made a few feet from where I’m sitting, destined to be buried deep inside a passenger jet of some kind.

in the world of Hi-Fi

Ah, the world of hi-fi… where physics doesn’t apply.

maxtorque

mrmonkfinger
    There’s a whole bunch of stuff that looks exactly like that being made a few feet from where I’m sitting, destined to be buried deep inside a passenger jet of some kind

I hope with less actual wires though! (multilayer pcbs + high speed serial buses) 😉

verses

Regardless of the above, surely if it’s been in standby mode for the last few years then it will require endless reboots followed by “not responding” messages with the little circle going round in a grumpy huff?

“2 years worth of updates are available”

Northwind

Some of this kit is crazy, there’s an apollo capsule in the science museum in London and it looks like it was made in a smithy. I don’t know how true it is but one of the cliches is that the computers used for the moon shots were less powerful than a typical mobile phone is today.

Why doesn’t living in the future feel better?

wwaswas

Here’s the program that got a spacecraft to the moon

andytherocketeer

your very first mobile phone would have had a capability way in excess of Apollo mission computers, by a very very long way.
    of the top of my head they’d be about 2kb of RAM and abotu 1 or 2 MHz. So you’re talking ZX81 or Vic 20 with graphics and BASIC removed.

CountZero

Back on earth your now “empty” body will be maintained in a sort of boarding kennel for souless, empty bodies…it’ll be like Abercrombie&Fitch.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha! Thank you, genuine LOL moment there. 😆

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Rosetta is it real ? Technology out of date…’ is closed to new replies.