Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Rose V Canyon
  • shanta
    Free Member

Hi

Im looking to get my first carbon bike early next year so have started looking at whats out there. I had initially decided on a Canyon Ultimate CF 9, which at the start of the year they offerred with a compact 11/32, which i feel i need. However, this is n longer on there site and i can only have a semi with 11/28. This has put me off slightly as it would mean shelling out another 200 quid to get it to a compact 11/32 set. With that in mind i have now also started considering a Rose Xlite CRS 300 which you can confgure how you like with components. Just wondering what both Canyon & Rose bike owners think of each bike/brand/customer service. Rose also offer demo rides , albeit from the rep in Bath.

Cheers in advance…

pjbarton
    Free Member

is this road bike talk?!

glasgowdan
    Free Member

i can only have a semi with 11/28

*sniggers*

Take your lycra nonsense to a relevant forum!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    atlaz
    Free Member

Semi-compact is the big thing now… in reality unless you live somewhere really hilly you’ll survive. I have a semi-compact in the spares box but given the hills around here are frequent and steep, I’m avoiding it for now.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My riding is in the Chilterns, so most hills are short and steep, but I’m rarely out of the 50t and just grunt upto the top.

36-32 would be a VERY low gear on a road bike. I’m 100kg and incredibly unfit and even I don’t see the need, I’ve got a compact and 13-27, and I don’t think I’ve ever got past mid cassette in the small chainring. 13-27 with a 50t up front on the other hand is about right for 95% of the time.

chakaping
    Free Member

It looks to me as though Canyon put far more R&D effort into their road bikes than Rose – so I’d expect the frameset to be a cut above.

I know people who own both brands (MTBs though) and they both seem happy enough with the service.

chakaping
    Free Member

PS. Semi compact is the cool new thing, I’d expect you could flog the chainset and replace with a compact at a profit or at least do a direct swap with someone.

robw1
    Free Member

I got a rose xeon crs last year. its great. Customer service was good. I met up with the rep in Bath at the Odd-down track. Because I was unsure about sizes he brought down a van load of bikes of varying sizes and models.
    I wasn’t too fussed about customising the spec but did specifically want a bit more range in the gears so could spec an 11-28….and a shorter stem. Bike arrived quickily. I ordered about this time last year when they had a sale on so ended up only paying about £1200 for full carbon, ultegra, Mavic Ksyrium wheels. I did like the look of the canyons but the price of the rose was a big factor. Id recommend them.

curto80
    Free Member

Rose every time. Canyon are a shambolic shower of shyte.

shanta
    Free Member

Cheers robw1…good to hear

curto80…can you explain plz?

fatmax

Owner of two Canyons (road Ultimate CF, mtb Grand Canyon CF) – love them both and great service. Thinking of a new cross bike and considering both a Canyon and Rose – cracking value both of them.

curto80
    Free Member

Shanta, do a quick search on here for the “canyon: chat feature” thread. In summary they had a recent warehouse move and systems upgrade which was totally mismanaged and now they have no idea who has ordered what and when those orders are going to be fulfilled.

I have had 4 rose bikes and they’ve all been great. Communication and delivery always been good and Fin (the UK rep) is always there if you need any help.

curto80
    Free Member

This is the latest email I have from them (this after receiving differing advice on 10 previous occasions), bike should have been delivered early October:

Important information regarding your order

Please disregard the order confirmation you received from us yesterday. If a payment request accompanied this confirmation, please also disregard this request. In case you have already submitted payment for your order via a link (credit card, PayPal, Ideal), rest assured that your payment method will not be charged until the time at which your order ships.

During the transfer of orders from our old system into our new system we experienced critical failures. This had the unfortunate consequence of releasing over 10.000 orders that, for the most part, contained misinformation. We have already begun reworking all orders into our new system, and you will receive an accurate order confirmation from us within 2 weeks.

Since the 22nd of September we have been deeply involved in the implementation of our new SAP software system. During the course of this implementation we have encountered enormous difficulties, and we are working day and night to resolve these issues. Please accept our most sincere apologies for any inconvenience we have caused you. We value you as a customer, and we are grateful for your continued understanding.

shanta
    Free Member

Ooops, what Rose bike have you had? I was on FB chat to Canyon the other day asking if i could get a different set up on a Ultimate such as Rose let you do, The huy said “No, and no disrespect but Rose dont do anything that comes close to Canyon”…

I have already had a few FB chats with Fin @ Rose and he seems very helpfull.

curto80
    Free Member

They are so full of cr@p.

I’ve had a Xeon CRS 2000 which ive just replaced with an Xlite 3100 Di2. Both have been awesome bikes.

When I did duathlons I had a CW 8800 (sram red and mavic cosmic carbones) which was incredibly fast.

Also had a DX Cross for a while which was great for cycle-x but eventually I replaced with a Tripster because I needed something I could doubles as a tourer

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Aren’t Rose essentially speccing frames/bikes out of a frame manufacturers catalogue and branding them up as Rose, whereas Canyon design and develop their own frames, then get them manufactured?

Obviously it wont be across the board (Canyon may have some catalogue frames, Rose may have some input into frame design) but that’s the general impression I get from looking at the bikes.

So at a low to mid range/price point, it probably makes little or no difference.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

This ignores the disaster with SAP implementation…….

stevious

I have a Canyon and Mrs S has a Rose of about the same value. Without writing an essay about it, the canyon is a slightly better bike (nicer frame, better wheels) but took about 3 months to arrive. The Rose took about 10 days to arrive.

Both processes involved excellent communication and prompt replies to questions.

If the range of your gears is more important to you then the Rose is likely to be a great option.

You should take into account that if you’re going from a heavier bike to a lighter bike you’ll be able to get away with harder gears on your new machine.

jonba
    Free Member

I recently bout the Rose CRS (Di2). Only ridden it twice, two races, won them both so it seems ok as bikes go.

Very nice bike. Comes in a bit heavier than advertised but then the Canyon will do as well.

Loads of Canyons around the NE but I’ve only seen 2 other Rose’s which made it harder to borrow one for fit.

Can’t speak for the Canyon but the Rose is stiff and aggressive which I like. Came pretty much when they said. Took about 4 weeks as it was a custom build. They were very helpful with questions and providing an additional mech hanger not on the website. I have a friend who broke his and they replaced it under warranty quickly.

Register for the VIP card and get points, I got a free Jersey and a few other odds and ends with the points earned on the bike.

I chose Rose primarily on price – cheaper than the equivalent Canyon.

curto80
    Free Member

Ghostly, no. Rose develop their own frames which are then manufactured in Asia, same as Canyon

stevieallison
    Free Member

A 36/32 gear is equivalent to a 34/28 – as far as I’m aware, so you could just get the Semi and swap out the rear cassette – assuming its a longer derailleur.

I’m a fat lad riding around the peak district and a rarely need more than my 34/28. It’d only really be worth getting a 32 if you ride very steep prolonged climbs.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Ah. Ok things have moved on since i last looked at rose then.

shanta
    Free Member

Sadly its not a long derailleur…

markshires
    Free Member

I’d avoid Canyon at the minute, they haven’t got a clue what is going on with orders at present, last email I had from them said they would hope to get back to normal in 6-8 weeks. I cancelled my order with them on the back of this.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ah. Ok things have moved on since i last looked at rose then.

Has it ever been the case?

adsh
    Free Member

36-32 would be a VERY low gear on a road bike. I’m 100kg and incredibly unfit and even I don’t see the need,

I’m 73kg and very fit. I repeatedly use my 30-29.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Since I’ve not looked at buying a new bike for a whole 3 years, i didn’t expect rose to have completely changed their business model.
    And TBH i wouldn’t have even bothered checking based on the last look at what they were offering.

eshershore
    Free Member

Canyon carbon fibre frames are made by Giant in their Taichung, taiwan factory.

Frame quality is very good. Frames then sent to Europe for bike assembly.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Rose V Canyon’ is closed to new replies.