Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Rose, Canyon other ?
  • selwob
    Free Member

Hi all

I’m new to the forum and a bit of a MTB newb (though i do a lot of motorbike trials)

I’ve been riding a Felt Q920 at various trail centres for just over a year (Gisburn,Cannock,lee quarry,ect) and now I’m looking to change my steed.

I’ll be honest and say i probably don’t warrant getting a new bike based on my skill level, but i have some spare cash and want a little bling as my riding partners have all just upgraded (Cube 110, Spesh Camber, Scott Genius)

As such I’m looking for a full sus (i will keep the HT) with plenty of bling that suits my ability level or at least Mask / flatter it.

Currently the Rose Jabba Wood 6 is at the top of my list as it just pips the canyon on spec, i did look at the Cube 130 but I’d rather not have the same(ish) as my friend. Everything else I’ve looked at in the LBS’s just does not seem to compete on spec.

Other info…
    – Looking to spend £2000 ish
    – I’m happy with Shimino or SRAM shifter
    – I’m 70kg and 5.6ft, 35 years old
    – Fitness is ok but not fantastic (a lighter bike would help im sure)
    – I do like to push it but I’m not getting exactly getting big air or indeed any most of the time (i guess 120mm is plenty for me ?)

These are the online shops iv been looking at ….

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/products/bikes/mtb-full-suspension/jabba-wood-2012/
    http://www.canyon.com/_en/
    http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k1799/fullsuspension.html

Any advice/input (experience of bikes above for a beginner, other options?) to help me make a decision would be much appreciated.

Cheers in advance, Si

mcboo
    Free Member

Welcome…..

Plenty on here bought Canyons, some Rose too, think everyone pretty happy with them.

You wont go wrong with a Canyon Nerve XC. I’d prob go for the XC-8 given it is same frame, fork and wheels but £400 cheaper than the XC-9. XT rather than XO, my preference being for Shimano but thats me. Lovely bikes.

http://www.canyon.com/_uk/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=2558

mtbtomo
    Free Member

YT Industries do some god value bikes too I think, in the same ‘Euro bargain’ mould as Canyon and Rose

keefus
    Free Member

Another vote here for Canyon. Iv’e got a Nerve X9, (I have a preference for Sram.) Outstanding value for money.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

You could go crazy and buy something you actually want instead of just whatever looks best on a value for money spreadsheet?

showerman
    Free Member

i have a canyon and its a good ride and value for money you cannot go wrong
    but thats where i went wrong because value is not the most important thing as i found out
    when i needed canyon to step up and be responsible they failed big time, they do not have a service center its a garage with no spares or tools after getting the bike back i would also question his qualifications to carry out the so called repairs
    would never buy another would advise caution to anyone who does, find a good lbs and use them.
    i am ready to be flamed by the canyon owners out there but fingers crossed your bikes do not fail after 2weeks riding.

Gribs

What went wrong with it?

showerman
    Free Member

i do not want to go into details at the moment as my complaints with canyon and “the service center” i have put on hold till i finish my treatment for throat cancer.
    just remember fantastic value just crap service.
    best service i have ever had ibis replaced my sl frame after 3yrs as the clear lacquer cracked they just could not do enough to help

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Just in contrast to showerman – I got a canyon recently after attrocious warranty failures with a big name brand through my LBS (3 frames in 9 months that they now refer to the manufacturer and effectively wash their hands of).

I cant fault Canyon so far – everything goes back to them so there is a single point of blame – plus the user – I guess.

I’m still interested in showermans experience – and how it ends up. And also your health – I wish you the very best with that.

eyerideit
    Free Member

I’d get the bike you want for how good you think you’ll be in 12 months not right now.

You don’t want to be ‘under-biked’ when you’re rippin’ that sh*t up do you?

I’d get one of these beauties if I had 2k to spend on a bike.

Gribs

If I was buying now I’d still get a AM but it’d be the AM7 with a reverb upgrade as it offers much better value than the AM8. Riding a mates Fuel ex 9 at the weekend reminded me a shorter travel and lighter bike is much easier and faster to ride up hill, but I enjoy going downhill much more, and more travel does give you much more leeway in line choices.

Showerman – Exact details aren’t needed but it’d be good to know it it was a major problem with the frame or a component.

showerman
    Free Member

forks pedals shox all have problems and still do
    but for all you canyon owners the bolts they use to keep the weight down are made from monkey metal even softer than cheese
    they asked me to remove the rear shox but the bolt rounded off
    the best advise is to remove all the bolts and refit them in my case the the heads rounded off even with a torque wrench set at 4nm after 3weeks, then they just start the charging line for everything
    will update when i can but bedtime now as hopital in the morning nice surgen going to work on my throat 🙂

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Good luck tomorrow showerman. If you want some help or a neutral opinion on the bike let me know and I’ll see what I can do.

selwob
    Free Member

Thanks for all your comments guys 🙂

Mtbtomo- I had a look at YT Industries in particularly the wicked 150, but it just does not quite fit the bill on this occasion (under spec’d in comparison to the rose but the price does reflect that to be fair)

IvanDobski- Hi Ivan at the moment spec is an important factor for me as I’m new to this sport so spec is my only point of reference and I’m unashamedly looking for some bling, as it happens I do like the look of all the bikes mentioned, that said i will balance my final decision with a sprinkle of magazine reviews and experiences from forum members. Would you say I’m taking the wrong approach ? Or what would you advise ?

I have rode several full sus bikes over the past year and I’ll be truthful in saying that I could not pick out any that i have actually preferred, they all just felt different, which really just highlights my lack of experience, which is why im looking for advice.

Interesting comments about the canyons, and something to think about.

I had a nip to my LBS yesterday and came across this…

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bmc/trailfox-tf02-2011-mountain-bike-ec024706

After a chat with the Sales guy, I’m debating whether i should take a weight penalty (current HT is 10Kg fully loaded) and go for a bike with Talas fork with 120/150 travel (for “rippin’ that sh*t up” lol ) it so my choices at the moment are …

Bike / Fork travel / Shock / Weight / Cost
    BMC TF 02 / 120-150 / RP2 / 12.6 kg / £1900
    Nerve XC 8.0 / 120 / RP2 / 11.9 kg / £1700
    Nerve AM 7.0 / 140 / RP2 / 13.3 kg / £1700
    Jabba wood 6 / 130 / RP23 / 11.8 kg / £2100
    Granite chief / 120-150 RP23 / 12.2 kg / £2100

Hope all went well yesterday showerman

showerman
    Free Member

hi guys thanks for you comments, yep good news is 90% of the lump in the throat has gone 😯 do not now about outside as that requires a scan in 2weeks. i have real problems with the chemo but to be honest if it makes me better i can deal with that. cannot say thankyou enough to the guys and girls at harefield hopital its all done with a smile,even showed me around the theater all the tools they use before getting stuck in.
    I know i sounded pretty pissed of with canyon the bike itself a torgue is such a hoot to ride a little on the heavey side but thats a good thing its just the customer focus is not there

eyerideit
    Free Member

showerman: glad the op went well.

Hope treatment is successful and your canyon gets sorted out.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Selwob:

My money would be on the Nerve 7.0 or 8.0 or added bling factor.

Depends if you want XT or XO – Shimano or Sram I have both and can say I don’t have a favorite. Although the XO is a carbon cage. 8.0’s got Talas forks and uppy/downy but as Gribs said you can upgrade that post.

Trekster
    selwob
    Free Member

I have no preference either over XT or XO – Shimano or Sram so cost will likley decide.

The Jekyll certainily looks interesting,(reminds me of the Genius) cheapest i found was £2150
    but its a medium and im normally a small. also 13.6kg is pushing it for me, id be keen to stay below 12.5 if possible.

batfink
    Free Member

I’ve got a Granite Chief… anything you want to know? I got last years “2” which came with Revs, RP23 and X9. Love it.
    Looking at it, you expect it to weigh an absolute ton – the downtube is beer-can sized, but it actually feels really light.

chris_db
    Free Member

I got a Canyon Nerve AM9 back end of last year and I have had nothing but complete fun on it…. It’s not just value for money – its a great bike all round. It goes up hill ok (pro pedal and Talas lockout), shifts (xtr) well and with the reverb and Elixir 7s it does everything I could want. And then there’s the downhill bit….

Nothing has gone wrong with it at all. Whether there were some probs before I don’t know but I sure am a happy Canyon owner.

Showerman – all the best dude!

chestrockwell

I would never choose a bike simply on the spec as a groupo can be upgraded as and when but you’re stuck with the frame unless you’ve deep pockets. I’d try as many as you can and see what bike suites you.

batfink
    Free Member

I agree… great to try some out. I was able to meet up with Fin from Rose and we went for a spin around Swinley – Top bloke, was able to give me advice about what parts to pick (you can custom-build you bike online). I was angling towards the “4” spec, but actually ended up with a “2” with a few parts upgraded.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I wouldn’t say it’s the “wrong” approach as such but if I see something and want it I tend not to be too bothered about value for money.

I’d rather pay £2k and get slx on a bike I really liked than pay £2k on something I wouldnt look twice at if it didn’t have an xtr rear mech etc.

Horses for courses etc.

eyerideit
    Free Member

I wouldn’t say it’s the “wrong” approach as such but if I see something and want it I tend not to be too bothered about value for money.

I’d rather pay £2k and get slx on a bike I really liked than pay £2k on something I wouldnt look twice at if it didn’t have an xtr rear mech etc.

Horses for courses etc.

Ivans going to teach us to such eggs next 😀

batman11
    Free Member

My be worth a look in the euro branding/ LBS purchase is cube bikes good spec for money and of cause lbs will be there to sort out any issues!! Know a couple of people who have cubes hard tail and a 130 Ams fully, there nice looking and the guys are well cuffed with them. No comment regards warranty because there bikes have been fine. If I was looking for an off the peg trail bike I would look very seriously at the 130 £2200 one pretty much full xt all fox shocks and good wheels and nice looking to.
    Bats

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Eyerideit – yeah that came out badly!

bland

SRAM specced bikes will always be cheaper than the Shimano competition, however factor in the fact that
    -Your rear mech will snap
    -all the FSA crap it will have on is well cheap and uninspiring
    -The Avid brakes you have given will be ace for a month then turn to shit
    -Rims are likely to be DT over Mavic

So your getting something that looks good on paper and costs more when you brake it down to component parts, however any serious rider who has rode for years will want Shimano drivetrain and brakes, NOT shimano hubs, Maxxis Tyres and Mavic rims, decent NON OEM forks and finishing kit from someone other than FSA.

Thats my opinion anyway, and dont get too cut up by weight, if you want something dead light get a carbon HT, if you want to have fun get something 130-140mm

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Rose, Canyon other ?’ is closed to new replies.