Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • RoRo / Ra Ra 2.25" Evo Snakeskin 29er tyres – any better combos for the money?
  • campfreddie
    Free Member

about £65 delivered from Biksdiscount @ the mo.

want something very light, very fast and with an element of durability (hence snakeskin) for my 29er weight-weenie hardtail build.

i was going to go with the Michelin Wild Race’R 2.25/2.1 combo from On One (£26 the pair!!), but they are not fantastically light.

they will be run tubeless on pacenti rims.

cheers

heavy_rat
    Free Member

Don’t think you can better the schwalbes for your requirements imo

njee20
    Free Member

Thunder Burt?

DanW
    Free Member

If you want light and fast then do Snakeskin sidewalls really help that much? Standard Ralphs will take a fair bit of sidewall scuffing in rocky terrain before they fail and you are just as susceptible to punctures around the tread (most likely cause of tyre failure during a ride or race) as any other version. I guess it depends on a lot of factors but Ralph front, Burt rear seems like a decent all round, fast, dry option

campfreddie
    Free Member

i think thunder burts will be taking it one step too far.

i do want a bit of a capability of crappy conditions.

i think the snakeskin variant is a good compromise… the combined uplift in weight is about 180g. if i am less susceptible to blow outs or tears, then that is worth it imho.

njee20
    Free Member

Not that weight weenie then is it 😉

For all round I’d just use Rons F&R, and personally wouldn’t (haven’t) bother with Snakeskin. If you ride somewhere rocky it’s probably worth doing though.

campfreddie
    Free Member

okay… so i’ll backtrack on my previous comment.

i’ve been reading up on thunder burts and they seem like the no-brainer tyre for me, so i will be putting one on the back for sure. i will go for snakeskin rather than TL or Raceguard as i want the strenghtened sidewalls.

i would also go for the same on the front BUT what i haven’t mentioned yet is that the build will have carbon rigid forks on the front and the Burt only comes in a 2.1″ at the moment. i’m pretty sure i should be having a 2.25″ up front at the very least. this pushes me back towards either a RaRa or RoRo… possibly the RoRo snakeskin as it’s lighter than the RaRa.

thoughts?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘RoRo / Ra Ra 2.25" Evo Snakeskin 29er tyres – any better combos for the money?’ is closed to new replies.