Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Roper lets have some of your 8 legged friends please
  • Pigface
    Free Member

Thank you

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Roper’s probably relaxing

roper
    Free Member

opps, apologies for not responding to a spider request, I missed it.

I don’t have too much to show at atm, but should have some more stuff soon.
    I will hopefully be introducing this chap

with this luck lady

I’ve been getting them both in the mood over the past few weeks and think they might be ready for it. I will be photographing or filming all the action 🙂
    (They are both C.darlingi or African horned baboons)

I also have this couple of love birds

and the winning smile

They are Heterometerus longimanus scorps from Indonesia and are a fair size of 9-11cm. These live together so probably wont be able to get photos of the “action” but she will carry the young on her back for a while which should be quite interesting.

I also have a pair of

Buthus sp probably occitanus but could be ibericus. This is the female.

I also have a mature male P.regalis

and two fully mature females (I don’t want to disturb them so don’t have any recent photos).Either one has been a bit too fast catching food or she is looking a bit gravid 🙂

I hope that helps with your arachnid cravings 🙂

robbo1234biking

Are either of the scorpions deadly to humans?

warton
    Free Member

question roper. do you notice any ‘personalities’ in the spiders? are different spiders of the same species more aggressive or chilled out than others? or are they all the same?

mogrim

And in the news today, Tarantulas eject silk from feet

roper
    Free Member

robbo1234biking
    Heterometerus longimanus have very mild venom, nothing worse than a bee sting. Some Buthus species are deadly to humans, you would need to be licensed in the UK even for mine, though their venom is not deadly or even that bad. Often with bites and stings it’s an allergic reaction which can cause the problem. Tarantula venom is very clean so no-one has every died from a bite as they have not had a reaction. I’m not sure how clean scorpion venom is so so couldnt say definitely but I’m confident the scorps I have are fine.

warton
    There will be variations in behaviour though it would be hard to call it a personality ( a bit like stw 🙂 ). A good example of this is the Grammostola rosea or Chilean Rose tarantula. They are sold as a begginer T and are pretty docile, but there will always be the odd psyco which you would have to watch. I have 6 P.regalis which live together and they do have a sort of pecking order. More often than not you do get to know species and types and you can tell. If they are looked after well and given a natural environment they are normally quite happy.
    One a side note (and as I’m going on anyway) I do wonder if some do recognise me or learn signs of when they are going to be fed, but can’t be sure.

iDave
    Free Member

*fears spiders, likes roper threads*

warton
    Free Member

cheers roper, reason I ask is that a 6 foot python was found in a back lane close to me, the guy they took it too was on the local news and he was saying its very aggresive indeed, which got me thinking about spiders for some reason…

racefaceec90

nice one roper 😯 😉 hope you like my little friend (steady 😉 is quite a big fella/lass? i think it’s an orb spider?

roper
    Free Member

That’s not an orb spider. I can’t see the dorsal markings clearly but I’d say its a Tegenaria duellica. They are stunning spids, great markings and are one of the fastest spiders in the world. Very beautiful when the light catches them.

edit: Tegenaria duellica, Tegenaria Gigantea is the old name for it.

roper
    Free Member

mogrim
    That’s a very interesting article, thanks for posting it. I would like to see more information though before being completely convinced. there has been rumours like this before but they were found to be false. I’ll have a look round some arachnid papers. It would be great if it’s true though.

chvck
    Free Member

One a side note (and as I’m going on anyway) I do wonder if some do recognise me or learn signs of when they are going to be fed, but can’t be sure.

That is quite interesting. Could you do an experiment with a younger one where you place food in the same place at the same time each day (ideally away from where the spider usually hangs out) and see if over time it turns up expecting food to be there? I imagine that it would?

More interesting would be to do a dance in front of the cage just before feeding and see if it learns to relate the dance to the food!

racefaceec90

ah thanks roper 😀 have just been downstairs looking at it (the spider) does have very striking markings.i must admit to warming to spiders (they get a bad rap man 😉 look forward to more updates 😀

Mark_K

Roper can you i.d. this for me ! I was about to open a gate when I was on a ride and spotted this ! I not normally bothered by spiders in fact I quite like them but there was something about this one that stopped me picking it up and moving it ???

roper
    Free Member

Mark_k
    It looks like a lace-legged spider or Amaurobius sp. Could either be something like A.similis or A.fenestralis? More likely The dorsal marking are not a clear match but it could be a juvenile which would lead to the patterns not being fully developed. Though I am guessing a bit but the carapace and legs look right for Amaurobius
    it’s a nice looking spider though.

Could you do an experiment with a younger one where you place food in the same place at the same time each day (ideally away from where the spider usually hangs out) and see if over time it turns up expecting food to be there? I imagine that it would?

Thant is what happens in a way. I have a couple of ts which normally hide away if disturbed but I have a couple which stay out during feeding time. I don’t think I should put my spiders through watching me dance though, animal cruelty and all that 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Roper lets have some of your 8 legged friends please’ is closed to new replies.