Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • room for one more in joblesstrackworld? again
  • Pook

Shift up, room for a tall one?

I don’t know whether to sit in my pants all day and watch Jeremy Kyle, or keep up the rhythm of work for when I get back into it…

nickhart
    Free Member

get out on your bike you nonce. it’s what this weather was made for. find somewhere nice to sit and search the soul. find a job you like in your head and then go for that.

ivantate
    Free Member

pants and heir hunters for atleast the first part of the day

nickf
    Free Member

Sympathies; I was there a year back.

Don’t just sit there at home. Ride your bike, read some books, get your head together.

Make sure you go jobsearching EVERY DAY but don’t obsess. Realistically, unless you’re doing loads of interviews or are constantly being called (which would be a good thing), there’s only a couple of hours you can do each day.

I found it useful to get up at a normal time, and spend until 12.00 or so doing search work. Chase leads down, reasearch potential positions or employers, that sort of thing.

After that, depending on the day, I went walking/riding, or perhaps met up with friends (most of whom were in the same boat, so we had something to talk about!). Obviously I saw a lot more of the kids, which was a good thing.

Try not to watch Jeremy Kyle or the like. You’ll suddenly find that 3 hours have gone by and you’ve achieved nothing…not a good idea.

Now’s not a bad time to be searching; it’s unlikely that you’ll land anything to start work on before Christmas (though you could get lucky), but we’re heading into peak hiring time, with a lot of positions due to start in early January.

Good luck!

Harry_the_Spider

What do you do (want to do) and where abouts are you?

Sandwich

I can recommend the regular exercise along with making job searching your job. I used to do Monday, Wednesday and Friday as search days and other days as recreation and learning new stuff time. With luck you could get some good snowy rides in this year.

Pook

cheers for the messages guys.

Harry, I’m a journalist by trade but for the past few years I’ve been working in agency stuff doing internal communications eg: newsletters, podcasts and videos.

If i could get something internal commsy that would be great but those jobs are rare, but press office roles etc are all up my street.

donsimon
    Free Member

How would doing voluntary journalism fit in, just to keep your hand in, maintain contacts and show prospective employers that you’re not just sitting on your ar5e?
    Set yourself up as a freelancer?

Good luck.

Hohum
    Free Member

Good luck with the job hunt Pook!

I will be joining you on Thursday and it is going to be the first time since I left university in 1994 that I am going to be unemployed 🙁

I will still have to get up at normal time though as I have to take my children down to school. However, filling the rest of my day is going to be difficult.

Trimix
    Free Member

I spent many months last year unemployed – looking back I regret not riding my bike more. I wasted too much time on the PC and watching telly – all of it shite.

You only need a couple of hours job hunting, then the rest can be made of positive stuff – like planning a big ride, getting fit, sorting all the other stuff in your life that you dont have time for when your working.

Dont waste a moment.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

sit in my pants all day

and

keep up the rhythm

Not to Jeremy Kyle though, you sick f*ck

TPTcruiser

Not much in the print version of the Grauniad this morning, but one for Rand in Cambridge and University of Liverpool may be of interest.
    Rand http://www.rand.org/randeurope

Blower
    Free Member

Jobless again here too,the building trade sucks!!

career change i think 😕

iDave
    Free Member

Madison are/were after a press comms person

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘room for one more in joblesstrackworld? again’ is closed to new replies.