Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Rookie mistake – chain too short
  • Lakes_Puma

So in my hurry I’ve taken just one link out of my brand new chain and while it was fine on the largest cog, 1×11, I forgot to take the suspension chain growth into account, it’s a 11-46 cassette and full compression on the 46 cog would damage the derailleur but on the next cog down it’s fine.

I checked it with no air in the shock to check full travel.

So do I;

1. just leave it and make sure I stay off the 46t when there is a chance of full compression (most likely heading in a downwards direction)
    2. Add another link using a kmc split link (11 speed)
    3. call myself an idiot and buy a new 11 speed chain.

nickjb
    Free Member

Add another link and split link. Been there, done that. Don’t ride it. You will forget and mash your mech.

Davesport

Aye, what Nick said. Easy fix.

jeffl

Second the quick link.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Third… Quick link

But if you need to ride and no link to hand then just wind the rear limit screw a bit to prevent mech shifting to the 46 gear. Then you can ride perfectly safely without worrying…. And on the plus side you will get fitter and have a better chain line 🙂

leeerm
    Free Member

If it’s a Shimano chain, make sure you don’t rejoin it with a normal link, you have to use a joining pin. Otherwise you’ll have chain snap-page pretty rapidly. If it’s anything other than a Shimano chain don’t worry.

Apologies if I’m teaching you to suck eggs!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Rookie mistake – chain too short’ is closed to new replies.