• This topic has 11 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by jhw.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Rookie ice climbing photos – Scotland and Switzerland
  • jhw
    Free Member

Begin by saying if anyone wants to climb Aviemore next weekend that would be cool.

Began by heading to Arolla, starting out learning to put screws in etc on the top-rope.

Top-roped some relatively tricky stuff and simulated leading on it, to make us comfortable leading the more straightforward stuff

Then skied up to a multipitch climb (we seconded the guide), learning skinning on the way

The ski down was the sketchiest part for us both. I’d only been for 4 weeks before and not for 3 years, the first turns were on steep uncertain snow and the bottom bit was steep and in forest. Not pretty, even a bit of the old snowplough…but just about got down it.

Our skiing was weak so we spent the last day working on it, beginning on blue runs and finishing up doing uncertain snow between the pistes. Got a bit lost, had to ski a terraced field, survived – progress…

Then to Scotland for 4 days of mixed, instructed

Saw big avalanche here (Nevis) minutes after this picture was taken, we then had no choice but to walk down it… :S

Bit blowy on Sneachda on Saturday

Then sleeper back to work for Monday – exhausted…

Most of the Scotland stuff was on easier climbs, with a few tricky bits, but I’m really keen to step things up significantly now.

DavidB
    Free Member

Blindng! Very jealous. Who did you do the guiding with?

jhw
    Free Member

Graham Frost – he’s the man!

Sorry, I meant this all to go in the chat forum.

firestarter
    Free Member

Nice, I used to love ice climbing when I lived in Switzerland , sold all my stuff now :'(

jhw
    Free Member

I’ve had to put myself in penury to buy all the gear and I still haven’t got a rack, just the basics – axes crampons clothes helmet harness.

I’ll have to sell my main bike before I can get a rack of screws, ropes and touring gear. I’m loath to do it, but I’ve got a trip to Iceland in a few weeks and unless I want to be using a staplegun for my protection, I’m going to have to free up some funds!

It’s an awesome thing to do. I can’t think of any other activity which goes so frequently and without warning between being heaven and pure hell…

bigyinn
    Free Member

Im surprised you can find the time in your busy schedule for such things.
    Any ladies invited this time?

jhw
    Free Member

Ha, you can’t tell gender in the Scotland photos!

The only ladies in my bed were my two Petzl Quarks…

mustard
    Free Member

Looks amazing!

jimmy

looks ace.

I’m in Aviemore this weekend meeting a group of Pals…

jhw
    Free Member

Cool – if you want to climb, I’m 07872348199. Sneachda was in good nick last weekend – a little thin but still plenty to do.

Gotama
    Free Member

Looks like a great trip……but more importantly have you ridden down those stairs yet?!

jhw
    Free Member

*tail between legs* they’ve been renovating there. it will happen!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Rookie ice climbing photos – Scotland and Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.