Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Roofing help, well slate help please. Or any good ideas
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

It’s not often I ask re building stuff but this one’s got me head scratching. Decided to hang some slates on the new garden walls to do something different from the usual render etc.
    Simple lath frame fixed to the block work but I’m struggling on ideas for concealing the nail heads for the last row which is a small 150 cut.

rwamartin
    Free Member

Ridge tiles at 90 degrees so that one face is hanging vertically and the other is flat on the top of the wall?

Gripfill the last row on.

Plants on the top of the wall hanging over the top row.

Folded lead tucked behind then over the top row of slates.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Use stainless cuphooks to hang the top row, and hang some stuff from them, maybe some beach/coast driftwood type memorabilia? Some fishing ropes and nets etc?.

It will either look ace, or naff as ****. :mrgreen:

wrightyson
    Free Member

Got an Indian sandstone coper going across the top of the wall. Was thinking a lead dressing put I’ve got probably 15 **** metres to do.

rwamartin
    Free Member

Copper nails accurately spaced may not look too bad. If you get them high enough up and the coper overhangs a little they may not even be that noticeable.

What is used to hide the nails may be more visibly irritating than the nails themselves.

slackalice
    Free Member

Hmmm, a lead flashing was what came to my mind whilst reading your OP. Could be partially held by lead or copper clips/strips.

15 metres is quite a run though and you’ll be needing at least 300mm code 5. Ideally it would be nice to cap the wall completely 😀

Bit of patination oil after and it’ll look grand 8)

EDIT: Forget capping. The Indian sandstone will be better, so fold the lead to sit under the coping.

singlecrack
    Free Member

As above lead flashing. ..or a cheaper version would be lead look grp flashing

singlecrack
    Free Member

wrightyson
    Free Member

Yup now thinking 100mm code (ahem) 3 cut in half. Dressed down 30 mm and 20 mm nailed onto the top edge of the last lath which sits flush with the top of the wall. This little patio job just keeps on costing…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Roofing help, well slate help please. Or any good ideas’ is closed to new replies.