Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • roofbars or boot rack
  • supercarp

I have a new car and i need a new carrier. What would you recommend roof bars and rack or a rear mounted rack. I have seen a saris rack which holds the bikes vertically, but not sure.

what would be the best to go for?

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Hi mate. I have had both. Had a saris bones which was ok, but I now run a Thule system on the roof. Very pleased with it, carries 2 bikes and a third goes in the boot if needed. I guess cost will be the main factor, as I had to buy The roof rack and the carriers

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Depends on your car, we`ve just bought a new car and you cant fit roof bars and so had a detachable towbar fitted …. ive always preferred rear mounted anyways

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

We have one roof rack and one tow ball mounted for the cars in our house, the tow ball mounted is defo the best but also the most costly. As discussed in the other thread I used to use a rear rack which was cheapest but a PITA tbh. Only ever used Thule. The roof rack one I just buy and sell the neccessary fitments on ebay when I change my car.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Towbar all the way. More secure, sturdy and quicker to attach than something that’s strapped on, and no noticeable drop in MPG (if anything it goes up as I’m concious the bikes are hanging off the back!).

I got a towbar from towequipe and fitted it myself for about £80 inc the electrics. Then a 2nd hand aiston rack for £60.

supercarp

Cheers guys for the advice

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘roofbars or boot rack’ is closed to new replies.