Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Roof Windows – Velux or other brand?
  • sargey2003

We need to replace some old Velux windows, and I was wondering whether anyone on here had any experience of the quality of any of the (slightly) cheaper alternatives.

In other words, are Velux worth the premium for the quality, or would I be paying for the name and not a lot else?

Any other tips on replacing roof windows also welcome (note that I will not be doing this myself, but have a builder/window fitter/roofer do it for me).

globalti
    Free Member

Are there any other brands?

T1000
    Free Member

Are they going to be manually operated?

If powered it’s worth considering the following

The velux solar integra range are great if you want powered ones, but the control system is rather limited at the moment (there’s a new control system being launched next ye)

Friends have the Fakro ones which use an open protocoll which they can control them in conjunction with their heating system

Andy_K

Just get Velux. The roofer will thank you.

footflaps

There is ‘Rooflite’ a sub brand of Velux which is a lot cheaper, but the same installation. Materials are cheaper, eg U values, not using toughened glass etc. I used them for the Workshop as they were 1/3 the price and I was using 6x 1m square, so cost £1200 rather than £4500….

sargey2003

One of the alternatives: Sunlux

sargey2003

Are they going to be manually operated?

If powered it’s worth considering the following
    Manually operated will do the job – not too high to reach.

Stoner
    Free Member

I fitted two of these when re-roofing the barn a few years ago.

https://www.jjroofingsupplies.co.uk/duratech-dpx-centre-pivot-pine-roof-window/

superb value for money. Good quality, a fraction of the price of Velux. And tellingly my roofers said they were much easier to fit than Velux.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Roof Windows – Velux or other brand?’ is closed to new replies.