Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Roof racks, what do i need to know?
  • edward2000
    Free Member

Im toying with the idea of buying some roof racks to keep the bikes (mine and the other halfs) out of the car. What do i need to know before i decide to purchase? My main concern would be theft should i need to take a call of nature in a service station somewhere. What other things do i need to consider? I’ve only just started looking and Thule Proride seems secure, but how secure?

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

I’d not worry too much about the carriers built in security and just buy a long rubber coated wire rope and padlock to thread in and out of the bikes and around the rack, the higher vis the better.

If I could have afforded the top end Thule ones I would have. I ended up with some used Halfords Premier(?) which are a spitting image of the low end Thules. Not terrible but not great for adjustability.

dhrider
    Free Member

What car are they going on? Do you already have roof rails / slots for the bars to go into or do you need to buy the roofrack with the feet that clamp on to the door frames?

If you are buying the type which clamps to the door frames I would say avoid them. I had them on an old car and in heavy rain the water leaked in where the roof rack clamp was pushing out the door seal and the roof ended up marked from them being clamped down on it.

I used Thule Proride 591 racks and they were good. They can be locked to the roof then the bike is also locked to the carrier – you can of course use an extra chain if you want.

I would recommend getting something to clean the bikes down before you put them on the roof, otherwise everything that is stuck to the bike ends up on the car roof.

Ultimately I think a tow bar would provide the best solution but it is the most costly option.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    edward2000
    Free Member

The car is a 2014 BMW 3 series estate and its got roof rails. Any other brands to consider other than Thule?

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Ultimately I think a tow bar would provide the best solution but it is the most costly option

This. Roof racks are a pain in the butt. Go towbar if you have the option.

DickBarton

Providing you (and whoever else is riding with you) can reach the roof easily then roof racks are fine. Put model into a rack website and it’ll tell you all the bits you need.

oldtennisshoes

Opposite view fro me. I much prefer having the bikes up top.

I use Thule wing bars and 968s on my 2014 3 series touring with roof rails.
    I only use mrs OTS’s car with tow bar rack to take the e-bike.

iainc

Another vote for Thule. I have 3 of the 598s on wingbars all the time, as they get used a few times every week. Estate car with roof rails. Security wise I do not leave the bikes unattended on the roof…at all..

Basil

Thule are great
    Get the lowest footpad possible or if possible a bar that fits directly to the roof bars.
    Get wingbars or aerobars,not square,
    I prefer the Outride model and a wheel bag

A good item to buy 2nd hand.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Roof racks are a pain in the butt. Go towbar if you have the option.

I’ve had both on the same car at the same time (to maximise carrying capacity). With one or two bikes greatly preferred roof rack. Towball rack needs removing and storing, adds to length of car making parking more awkward and in wet weather the bikes get absolutely filthy (whereas on a roofrack they get cleaned…)

Thule the best. Again we had both types. Greatly preferred the fork mount racks – kept the bikes lower and always felt and looked a lot more secure. We used to have separate wheel racks for the roof but you could easily have a wheel bag for the boot.

inbuilt security can’t be relied on for any sort of external rack for any length of time – use a cable lock for a bit more security when parked.

T1000
    Free Member

Slidebars are useful if your car is tall of your not.

cb200
    Free Member

I have two Thule 591s (on wingbar edge) on the roof, and a two-bike Saris to clip on the rear when the whole family are cycling.

The Thule is really handy; up and secured in seconds. The locks are mild reassurance for a toilet break, but having seen how quickly they can be compromised by thieves, I’d use an extra chain/cable if leaving for any time.

The Saris is a bit of a faff to put on the car, and the bikes are a bit ‘swingy’ when mounted. Also, there is no security, your rear wiper can’t operate and you can’t open your boot. Other than that, it’s great 😀

jonm81

Had thule 591s and they were very easy to use and stayed on the roof all the time.

Most important thing to know is don’t drive under low things like the person at the Dartford crossing last time I passed through the tunnel. That mistake must of cost them £10k+.

garage-dweller

Atera racks here.

From roofbox.co.uk

They do great package deals on bars and carrier too.

demelitia
    Free Member

I got some Whispbar through bars and Thule 598’s to go on my 130i. I’m not exactly basketball material and I’ve never had a problem getting bikes on or off. They haven’t been used recently but I haven’t felt any need to take them off, they make no noise and the fuel consumption is bad enough anyway, ha.

I got the bars from roofbox.co.uk and used the Halfords price match policy against; https://www.volvopartshop.com/aluminium-bicycle-holder-with-frame-bracket-thule-proride-598-23301-p.asp
    so I could pick them same day and not have to wait.

It’s easy enough to throw a cable lock around them if they’re out of sight for a short while, but I’d keep that time to a minimum if I could, whether they were on the roof or a tow bar.

gkeeffe

Done both roof and tow bar. Tow bar is so much better. The Atera dl3 is excellent I’ll never go back to roofbars.

simon_g

Most important thing to know is don’t drive under low things like the person at the Dartford crossing last time I passed through the tunnel. That mistake must of cost them £10k+.

With a 4.8m height restriction in the smaller tunnel, it must have been a really tall car to start with. Mine with bikes is comfortably shorter than most commercials so really not a worry apart from the odd (very) low bridge or car park.

Alu bars with the t-tracks are much more convenient if you leave the bars on but fit the bike racks as and when you need. Thule 591 carriers have been great for me too, no faffing about removing or refitting wheels.

There’s locks to deter a casual thief but anyone willing to jump on your roof and pull hard enough can get a bike out. I don’t bother with anything more if I’m nipping into the services for a wee and a coffee but I might feel different if I had several grands worth of bike on the roof.

leffeboy

I like to tie the bikes together on the roof rack if I’m doing a long (few hours) drive. Seems much more solid and helps if you don’t trust the jaws on the rack – had a bike slip out of a Thule rack once as the frame was a funny shape. Wouldn’t happen with the newest ones now though so the design must have been fixed.

kormoran
    Free Member

Have Atera roof bars here, super quality (aero version) and very reassuring. Better than Thule I have had in the past but we are splitting hairs really. They come fully assembled so just go straight on the car. AFAIK they are OEM for a number of car brands. Decent price too

prawny

I’ve got some 3 series saloon bars that I need to get shot of. It’ll need different feet but you can have the bars cheap if you want to dabble and are in the midlands area.

coatesy
    Free Member

I had an estate car before I bought a van, and from a security point of view, there was no way i’d consider carrying the bikes outside if they’d fit inside, as it’s an advert to thieves, not just when you leave them unattended, but for following you home.Pretty sure this happened to friends of mine recently, when their garage was turned over a day or two after a visit to BPW.

jonm81

With a 4.8m height restriction in the smaller tunnel, it must have been a really tall car to start with.

To be honest last time I went through there it still had the toll barriers. Lots of car parks still have low barriers to be careful of with bikes on the roof.

garage-dweller

I have used a mix of both for 20+ years. Roof rack is better in some respects and tow bar in others.

Tow bar
    Main +’s
    1) no big lift onto car roof
    2) no mud dropping on car roof
    3) limited impact on fuel economy and handling up to a point
    4) you can see bikes while in transit
    5) you can have a roof box for extra luggage

Main -‘s
    1) Obstructed rear visibility
    2) road filth (including salt, fuel and oil spills) sprays up onto your bike
    3) when getting near load limits / tow ball nose limits they can lighten the front of the car affecting traction (fwd), cornering and braking especially if the boot is loaded up with other kit and adults in the back
    4) you have potential length issues in car parks
    5) total cost if you don’t already have a tow bar is much higher
    6) on small cars the wheelbase of a modern bike may be significantly wider than the car

ROOFRACKS
    Main +’s
    1) with more than 2 bikes IME they more easily accommodate differently sized and shaped bikes. I can get two kids and two adult bikes from car park floor to loaded in about 5 minutes
    2) they avoid most of the road filth
    3) the weight is centred between the axles so traction and braking balance are largely unaffected
    4) you can see clearly out of the back of the car and no compromise on boot access (although some modern tilting racks are pretty good on this).

Main -‘s
    1) they are pretty awful for your mpg once you get past two bikes, 20% drop for me with four up top
    2) car park/other height restrictions are clearly an issue
    3) the extra height and windage blunts acceleration and requires a bit of extra concentration and care particularly in a big cross wind
    4) you get mud on the car roof for six months a year
    5) depending on number of bikes carrier you lose or restrict your ability to add a roof box
    6) a 4*4 or MPV will mean you need a step or similar.

Edit: should add I usually only carry bikes on the outside when there’s more than two of us going riding or its totally vile out. Otherwise it’s wheels out, seats down, tarps in and bike(s) in.

We are roof rack users now because they are the right compromise for us and our usage/bike/car combination.

andyl
    Free Member

I started with a cheap strap on Halfords rack, then went roof rack, then got a tow bar rack…

and then for the merc the first thing I did was go out and buy some more Thule roof bars for when the boot was too full rather than fit a tow bar.

On the landrover the roof rack is useless unless I park next to a wall. The bars get used for the canoe and the tow bar rack gets used for bikes.

On my old estate I preferred using the roof rack and that is how I have gone for the merc, although it is so big it swallows bikes when clean.

If I was starting out again I might opt for a more expensive, folding and lighter tow bar rack. The Thule one I have is too bulky and heavy.

Roof bar wise I have dabbled with cheaper options but always go back to Thule. Currently got Wingbars for both the landy and the merc.

richardkennerley

I’ll recommend Whispbars. I’ve had them on a couple of cars now and will get them again on whatever the next car is. They’re inobtrusive, quiet and shouldn’t impact fuel consumption when there’s no bike up there. I much prefer the look of them to standard roof bars. Use in conjunction with a thule 591, no compatibility issues. Carry a standard bike lock in the boot for use in service stations etc’.

nixie

There seems to be a lot of love for the two wheel Thule racks with arms. Surprised there is not more usage of the front axle mount racks (just a single mention above). Does anyone use either the 561 or 565 racks? If you do how are they? Also what are people using for plus size tyres (as the Thule spec seem to suggest a limit around 2.4″?

Would be very interested if anyone has had a chance to use both the 561 and 565 and could compare the two.

jonm81

Also what are people using for plus size tyres (as the Thule spec seem to suggest a limit around 2.4″?

When I had the fatbike on the 591s I just removed the wheel cradles, rested the tyres in the groove on the rack and used a toe clip strap to secure the wheels to the rack.

EDIT: Actually since getting the fatbike this is what I did for all the bikes I carried and had no problems at all.

iainc

Thule 598s have an option of putting on plus/fat tyre specific wheel holders.

prawny

I’ve got whispbars and they’re great when there’s nothing on there, and when there is. It’s just the bit in between when you’re trying to fit it that they’re a huge pita.

TiRed

Thule 591s are great, and can be reversed so you can access the locking from the same side. Nice to know before mounting, rather than after – who’d have thought it 😉

iainc

^^^^ and the updated 598 model does this with just a few clicks, which is very handy.

kiwijohn

+1 for Whispbar. The bike rack is pretty good too. Though it could do with a squirt of silicon after a years use.

phil5556

nixie – Member
    There seems to be a lot of love for the two wheel Thule racks with arms. Surprised there is not more usage of the front axle mount racks (just a single mention above).

It just adds extra faff for no (?) gain. I can’t really see what would be better about them.

I use 598s. Takes about a minute to get a bike on each side of the car. If you’re short a fold up step would be useful, my gf can just about lift her FS on and off but any shorter or heavier and she’d struggle.

Roof rack lives permanently on the car ready to go. No storage issues, you can get in the boot without anything in the way and I’m not likely to reverse them in to anything.

Storing a tow bar rack can be an issue.

Basil

The Outride fork mounting works well for our needs.
    Bike is very secure on roof, no wobble and confident enough to use on long fast trips.
    Even I can take the front wheel off my bike. We put the wheel into a wheel bag either in the car or when we have four bikes we put the wheel in the wheel bag. Put the seat post through the wheel bag handles and a bungee across bag and lift the bike up onto the rack.
    Not had any issues this way and four adult bikes top to tail on the roof.
    Tips we have discovered over the years
    Check the bikes are not leaning or touching each other as this gives a false impression of a secure lock up.
    Swop the handles out to be on the outside of the rack relative to the car
    Use Brooks seat covers or a plastic bag on the seat.
    Line up the pedals horizontal
    Four bikes on top of a Golf Estate does affect the handling
    Do remove all lights cycle computers!

droppinneutron
    Free Member

New Thule Proride (which now comes in black as well) look brilliant. I have the last versions and they are also great – had two bikes on the roof with these to the alps and back many times – no issues and spare parts readily available if you do. Looking through the glass roof on my new car, the front wheels do move a bit when travelling at speed but it doesn’t cause problems. On the new Prorides the retention strap for the front wheel is a bit different and looks like it would be more stable.

I also have a thule euroclassic for the towbar as i prefer 2 on the roof, 2 on the back. on my last car (Superb estate) i only used the towbar mount when there were more than 2 of us, but on my new car (Kodiaq – much taller) i go for the towbar when there are 1 or 2 of us.

craigbroadbent
    Free Member

You also need to consider the bike. If it carbon then you should really fix with a tyre grip type.
    carbon clamping
    Yakima and Inno do these.

fossy

Roof rack on my saloon as it will only take one bike inside. 4 up. Be aware the racks are heavy, and it takes two of us to lift the 4 up rack onto the roof. My old 90’s rack was lightweight, but the Thule Aerobars plus 4 Halfords Advanced bike racks (lower end Thule rack) are very heavy.

davosaurusrex

Thought I’d resurrect this rather than start a new thread – I’m after roof bars and carriers for my new car. Looking at the Whispbars and 598s, I would leave the bars on but fit the 598s as required, I do a lot of miles and don’t want them on all the time. Can anyone comment on how easy it is with this combo?

prawny – you mentioned some elements of the Whispbars being a pain in the arse – could you elaborate please?

Do you have to remove sections of rubber infill strip and refit each time with the Whispbars? Clearly I have more research to do but as thought I’d start here!

Like the look of the wheel grab racks, particularly the Inno but my bike has a wheelbase of 1270, Inno max is 1200 and the Thule version 1240. Not checked the Yakima admittedly

daern
    Free Member

Thought I’d resurrect this rather than start a new thread – I’m after roof bars and carriers for my new car. Looking at the Whispbars and 598s, I would leave the bars on but fit the 598s as required, I do a lot of miles and don’t want them on all the time. Can anyone comment on how easy it is with this combo?

I don’t have these particular bars (I have the slotted Thule ones) but I do know that installing the bike racks onto the roof bars is a real PITA. Our rack gets so much use now (2-3 times a week) that it just lives on the car, but when I used to remove it between uses it was at least 10x quicker to get a friend and lift the whole lot off the car, than to individually remove the bike carriers, especially when, as we do, you have four of the things to fit. In fact, it’s such a faff, that I actually installed them to the roof bars in the kitchen, then fitted the whole lot on the car in one go before completing the final adjustment and alignment on the car.

I like my roofrack, but if I had to remove it every time I used it, I would be using a towbar rack instead. I tow a caravan, so for at least some trips I need the roofrack, so I just use it all of the time.

bertmason
    Free Member

They whistle. A lot!! Thule wingbars on their own-no problem. Soon as carriers are on the wireless gets turned right up!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Roof racks, what do i need to know?’ is closed to new replies.