Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Roof racks on 3 door cars. (Audi content)
  • beamers

Evening Folks.

Can anyone tell me if it’s possible to put a roof rack on a 3 door Audi A3 that doesn’t have the built in roof rails?

On a 5 door the feet of the rack would hook under the rear door openings but how does this work on a 3 door which has unopening windows in place of the doors?

Ta in advance.

NZCol

Normally they have a recessed set of holes, doesn’t need a rail it’s a black line on the roof , two bits with small chevrons on it

meeeee
    Free Member

I had one on my 3 door 04 plate. The rear clamp is similar to the front, to fit it you just slide a metal tongue between the window rubber and the bodywork, it’s dead easy.

Fitted mine in 2007 and never removed it til I sold the car 8 years later! Rack was really solid and had no leaks from the clamps going between the door / window seals

Its difficult to get the rubber feet pads so they are completely flat against the roof. This means ( well on mine anyway) that there’s sometimes a slight space at one edge of the foot between rubber and bodywork where road grime and grit will collect so I put some helitape under mine to protect the paint.

beamers

Cheers Meeeee, that’s really useful.

fletch71
    Free Member

Yup as above the rear hooks between the window rubber and the roof, get a Thule one the fit is brilliant. I picked up wingbars and foot pack for about 50 quid on gumtree and bought a new mount kit for £28.

Cougar

Go to roofbox.co.uk, they’ll tell you what you can do.

DickBarton

Unsure why you couldn’t – I’ve a 3-door Fiesta and got the Thule kit and it all works – 2 ‘mounts’ on the doors with an arm that supports the rear of the rack.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Roof racks on 3 door cars. (Audi content)’ is closed to new replies.