Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Roof Rack bike carriers
  • Highland28
    Free Member

Just bought some aero bars for the new to me Saab 9-3 sportwagon and am thinking of getting some roof mounted bike carriers.
    Would like them to be farily easy to put on and take off as I will not be driving around with them on the roof when I don’t have the bikes with me.

Are thule 591’s still the carrier of choice for most. My step dad has the Barracuda Mont Blanc carriers which are easy enough to use however aren’t great for large volume front tyres, considering I run a 2.3 specialzed butcher its not a great fit.

Jason
    Free Member

I have a few different ones, and overall I think the Thule 591 is the best. The only thing I don’t like is the fact the front wheel can wobble a bit as it is only secured by the strap around the rim. I also have a Altera Giro, which is also pretty good and this has a moulding that holds the wheel and stops it wobbling. However I think the clamp mechanism is better on the Thule. Also the lock failed on the Atera pretty quickly, however the locks on all these racks are very poor so no good for security anyway.

All of the ones I have one just slide on and off the rail with QR style clamps to fix them into place, so don’t take too long to fit.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Would like them to be farily easy to put on and take off as I will not be driving around with them on the roof when I don’t have the bikes with me.

Short answer = yes.

Longer answer = they take no more than a few minutes at most to remove (you could easily do it in less than a minute), but are a little more fiddley to install if you do it properly. Still no more than five-ten minutes though.

carlos
    Free Member

Used the Barracuda Mont Blanc’s before now and easy enough to fit & remove on the roof bars T rail type fittings and they keep the bike nice and secure. Even running a Chunky Monkey it only requires a few psi letting out for a snug fit.

I now chuck the bike in the boot but if I was to go roof bars and carrier again I’d defo opt for the Thule Outrider 561, a friend has one and it’s just great. Dead easy to get the bike onto, secure, lockable, smart looking (for a bike carrier) and easy to fit & remove. The only downside is if you need the ‘other’ adapter for your fork choice.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Roof Rack bike carriers’ is closed to new replies.