Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Roof quotes – Reasonable?
  • Lazgoat
    Free Member

Just got a quote for some roof work that if like to check for consistency from the STW crew:

It’s a Normal/typical two up two down mid terrace house with bathroom on the end of the kitchen.

1) Bathroom – Complete Re-roof/cover with 3 layers. New boarding,fascia boards, guttering and down pipe. Everything removed and disposed of. £650

2) Main roof – Front aspect only
    Supply scaffolding, remove all tiles and replace existing felt and battens with new. Relay tiles.
    Supply and dress code 4 300mm lead to chimney,rebed ridge and point smooth. Clear site on completion.
    £1160

3) Large shed/double garage (6x4m roughly)
    Remove existing felt, new treated battens to external edges, fit aris to edges, 1 layer 2mm HP bonded underlay, 1 layer 4mm mineral cap sheet.
    £890

Are these any good?

andrewh
    Free Member

Not bad at all, I’m worried it may be a little too cheap! Scaffold alone is usually very expensive (Is this a proper one or a movable tower type?)

jekkyl

That’s a good quote.

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

Very reasonable quote, get a few others just to check though. Watch out for surprise unforeseen extra appearing though.

muffs11
    Free Member

Sounds far too cheap tbh

wrightyson
    Free Member

Yeah very good quote, seems to have all bases covered. Only thing I’d question is replacement tiles if any don’t come off whole.

Lazgoat
    Free Member

Thanks, but now I’m concerned! I’m in Norwich if that makes a difference I.e Not London prices.

wrightyson
    Free Member

What material is the roof? Slate, staffs, concrete pans etc etc

dannybgoode

Agree sounds either a) very good or b) suspiciously cheap. Do you know the firm, are they a recommendation etc? If not beware the tradesperson that gives a looky looky good price.

Also, have you factored in Building Control – it may not bother you but even for a new roof technically you should have building control sign off the work.

Cost us about £600 and as we are looking to sell in the next couple of years we went with it as it is something that may (should) be picked up by the buyer’s solicitor and without it can cause issues.

To be fair I think a lot of people don’t bother but worth pointing out.

Cheers

Danny B

singlecrack
    Free Member

Well you can bet the tiles below the ridges will be skipped for sure..

Surely if it’s like for like building control wouldn’t be interested
    And I think you’ve been stiffed at £600

wrightyson
    Free Member

Sorry but not in a million years would I involve building control on a reroof. If you switch from a staff to a thatch then maybe so but not a straight forward strip and retile with the same material.

Lazgoat
    Free Member

The main terrace is just normal tiles. The other roofs are just normal flat roofs covered with felt.

The main roof has a leak we suspect is from the ridge /chimney but the felt is also perishing badly so needs replacing. The lead work is also shabby sticky type foil which looks like it was a quick fix about 15 years ago….

It is a firm recommended by my builder neighbour, he said he was very good and very reasonable.

Just checked the paperwork, it’s an Estimate rather than quote. Might have to get him to sign off on the prices and descriptions of the work he described to me.

johndoh
    Free Member

I wish workmen were so cheap oop north in Harrogate.

paladin

I just paid £600 for a weeks scaffolding 7 metres long, 2 storeys high , mates rates.

totalshell

it might say scaffolding but you wont get any at that price.. its too cheap all in i m afraid. get someone whose house has been re roofed to reccomend

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

He may have his own kwikstage, I do

dannybgoode

To be fair we did have quite a lot of work done on the roof – huge dorma windows rebuilt and reglazed etc and the insulation on them needed checking etc.

Don’t think we were stiffed re: BC – we saw the bills and the roofer I would recommend to anyone. In fact he was so good that the people in the house behind us came round to get his number as they saw what a good job he did and he ended up doing 3 or 4 more houses round us.

As I say, most people don’t bother and I perfectly understand this but if you are planning to sell in the near future it is worth considering to prevent any problems come the conveyancing.

Think it cost us £4500 for a complete reroof, new dormas either side and both over 2m wide, new glazing for the said dormas, scaffold etc. We live in mid-ish sized Victorian terrace.

We did have a couple of quotes the right side of £4k but as I say this guy was utterly reliable and did a 1st class job and would happily recommend him to anyone in the Sheffield area.

Cheers

Danny B

dannybgoode

Edit to the above – it was £5500…

simmy
    Free Member

Does sound cheap.

I got a 3 level scaffold for the full length of gable on my semi for £500 with permit at mates rates last year so the scaffold even on a terrace, will be a few hundred quid at full rates.

Get a few more quotes but keep quiet about the first one and see what happens.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Roof quotes – Reasonable?’ is closed to new replies.