Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Roof mounted carriers
  • white101

I know a lot of you will suggest the Thule591's but I can't stretch to them (new wheels and brakes arriving soon)and have to look at alternatives. Had a look on roofbox at the atera's but they don't seem far off Thule in price. Anybody got the Halfords Advanced(sic) carriers, a pair are going for around £75 in my local store.
    Have read reviews of them on Halfords website and most buyers say there ok, but I guess they might have bought there Appollo's there as well, I'd rather trust you lot (good god I could live to regret that statement)

alexpalacefan

I have just got a set. A bit cheap and cheerful, but seem OK. I am securing the clamp around the frame with an extra bungee for my own peace of mind. But at £75 for a pair you can't go wrong.

Zukemonster
    Free Member

I have them too, with a bike with a high BB like mine the clamp on the tube is a bit tricky to get adjusted right, but once you've got the position right on the roof bars its fine. Halfrauds had them in a sale at the end of last summer at half price for the pair, probably will do again as its seasonal type goods.

fbk
    Free Member

Given the price of bikes & cars and the problems I've had with "cheap" carriers in the past, I'd always recommend going with the best rack you can afford.

Having said that, I wouldn't recommend Thule again after the problems I've had recently 🙁

Jase_MK
    Free Member

I have the Halfords advanced ones, got the pair for £50 earlier in the year. Done hundreds of miles with them and they're absolutely fine. Only concern is that the frame clamp can scuff your down tube a little. Not enough to wear through the paint but a bit of heli tape would be a good idea if you're precious about your showroom shine.

A friend has the Thule version. Not the curvy expensive one, but the cheaper straight Thule model and it is exactly the same as my Halfords model. Not similar, I mean EXACTLY the same parts – identical. It just has a different logo stamped on it.

simon_g

The Thule 530s seem to get recommended a lot – about £35 each. I prefer the look of the clamp (material down both sides of the downtube) over the pricier 591s which have a gap on one side.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Roof mounted carriers’ is closed to new replies.