Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Roof mounted carrier for carbon frames
  • Legoman
    Free Member

Should I be worried about damaging a carbon frame with a traditional fame clamp type carrier?
    Anyone got any experience of something like this as an alternative: Halfords

scandal42
    Free Member

Mine is currently above my head doing 60mph so fingers crossed.

TiRed

I’ve used my Thule 591 to clamp my carbon road bike with no issues – then driven right through France at 80mph. Since it holds the (very oversize) downtube top and bottom, there is not a lot of pressure on the tube. I would avoid the ones that use leverage to clamp the sides of the tube, however, as I think these can damage tubes if overtightened. The 591 is perfect.

Northwind

ChrisL of this parish has had his Mojo on a 591 many times with no issues, same with my old C456. I’d definitely suggest some helicopter tape on that area though- in fact, on any bike, as trapped grit will damage the finish over time.

Asking the manufacturer might be a good start but my gut feeling is, if it’s not strong enough for the not-massive clamping force, it’s not strong enough to be a bike.

endurokid
    Free Member

I use a Thule 561 fork mounted carrier, totally avoids any contact with the frame and in my opinion is far more secure.

Worth a look.

TiRed

Till you leave the front wheel in the garage/car park 😉
    My tandem carrier is fork mounted. I much prefer the 591. I’d also question it being more secure, given the 591 clamps frame and both wheels.

Haze

Fork mounted here, though I have taken a mates carbon as far as the Alps on a 591 without much drama.

The front wheel flapped around in the wind a bit and eventually wore away the tyre shoulder (one of those separate coloured sections), obviously not a problem with the fork mounted carriers.

MoreCashThanDash

591s here – several carbon framed road bikes transported at 70mph plus on motorways with no obvious issues so far.

pmcclure
    Free Member

I bought one of these last week and adapted it to fit on my existing bike rack

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_920677_langId_-1_categoryId_242557.

I didn’t get one like the photo, but a new version that is lockable.

Jase
    Free Member

I’ve always used 591’s but recently got a 561 to use on my carbon road bike, feels much more secure (not that I wouldn’t use a 591) so were prefer the 561 everytime.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Roof mounted carrier for carbon frames’ is closed to new replies.