Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Roof mounted bike racks – tell me more!
  • letmetalktomark

Sadly the roof mounted rack is looking like the only feasible option for carrying a bike on our car with dogs and wife inside the car 🙁

Tow bar isn’t really feasible to to the large amount of cutting required of the rear bumper 🙁

Rear rack isn’t possible either (I think) due to the design of the hatch and also manufacturers recommendations 🙁

So roof it would have to be.

Any recommendations as to racks? Any to steer clear of or are they all to steer clear of?

It wouldn’t be used loads and when in use would be for relatively short journeys.

Car is a new shape Honda Civic.

druidh
    Free Member

Is it a Type S or Type R? I had a towbar fitted to my 06 Civic without bumper cutting.

MartynS

Thule aero bars and bike carriers.

I use roof bars, you have to remember they are up there, the car park barrier height restriction is the enemy of the roof bars..!

Takes a couple of MPG off as well.

neil853
    Free Member

I have thule 591’s on my skoda octavia. I’ve had them for around 3 years now covering litterally thousands of miles with no problems what so ever. I like roof mounted carriers as it gives true flexibility for the car, as in no obstructions getting in or our of the car and really easy to get on and off and lock on.

Downsides are fuel economy (my octavia drops from 50mpg to 40 mpg when there’s 3 bikes, people and kit inside) and the eternal ‘driving under low things’ issue. But so far i’ve managed to avoid that (touches wood).

RustyMac

Roof carriers are great, i’ve got thule aero bars and mt blank roof carriers (good deal on ebay). A toe ball and carrier were going to be too expensive for me. They do reduce economy and performance of my 1.4 litre polo but i can still get over 70mph eventually and i have never had a concern the bikes were going to shift up there.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Roof mounted bike racks – tell me more!’ is closed to new replies.