Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Roof box v Trailer
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Hi

Have a Honda Stream big boot but still don't have enough room once everything is packed…2 kids wife tent and all the other stuff…

Something has to give so Roofbox v Trailer ?

Pro's and Cons to both so lets hear your views…

I need to have a towbar fitted if I go with the trailer and I would be looking to buy a trailer off ebay if I did buy.

Thanks in advance

40mpg

Trailer is much more adaptable and can carry more, but a lot more expensive including towbar. At least with a towbar you can fit a decent bike rack too.

I used a small trailer for camping, fitted roof bars and 4 bike fittings on top too (more aerodynamic than roof top), drove to the alps at 80mph all the way no problem.

And you can still hire/borrow a bigger trailer if you need to shift large stuff occasionally.

Both need storage space though – a roof box fills a lot of shed/garage, trailer can be locked in garden.

Trailer is much quicker on/off too.

Trailer it is then!

br
    Free Member

Have you a trailer endorsement on your licence, I know it changed at some point in the past.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

storage no problem for either
    no problem as to towing on licence

Zedsdead
    Free Member

You will NEVER regret fitting a towball.

My only regret about mine is that I didn't get it years ago. I pull a trailer, a motorcycle trailer and use a towbar mounted bike rack.

IT'S BRILLIANT!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

A trailer is so versatile, I couldnt live witout one

jd-boy
    Free Member

Roof Box, then you can run at the speed limit, unlike a trailer were 60 is your tops. I tow an 8 metre box trailer for my business, and Im sure glad when I dont have too.

midlifecrashes

Got a Stream, three kids and a dog, roof bars and a long, 3/4 width box. Can get a bike up top alongside the box, which is why I chose the 3/4 width one. Gets a ton of stuff in the box. Have done loads of longer runs with it. Trailer would be a huge faff finding parking on trips away, in Welsh and dales villages etc. Roof box you can keep an eye on, and watch the bike through the sunroof to check for wobbles. Think the box is an RBX 4500, Length 175cm x Width 85cm x Height 38cm. Mount it as close to the edge of the bars as you can to make it easier to load and a Thule or Halfords rack fits over the other side.

Northwind

Roof box just for the convenience of having the car still be the size and shape of a car and still drive and park like a car. We used to have both, the trailer was definately more versatile but we spent an awful lot of time trying to find parking spaces and watching my dad try and reverse with it fitted :mrgreen:

Christowkid
    Free Member

If you're near Devon, am just starting to think about getting rid of my Trelgo trailer, 3'x4' used soley for camping, and stored in garage for ages and now not used.
    Never towed before, but ours was a dream, it just sat there. Has a high cover ( on small tubular frame ) which increases capacity, and also allows you to see it whilst driving. Quite reassuring!
    Having come out the other end, our little ones are now teenagers, so camping no longer 'cool', and big tent now also going, as they've pup tents if required. Bit sad really, but that's life!
    Email me if close/interested, can't do pic's for a while as family decending at w/e and wife needs my vacuuming skills!
    cheers
    Q

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Roof box v Trailer’ is closed to new replies.