• This topic has 6 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by fbk.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Roof Bike Carrier Advice Needed
  • grantyboy
    Free Member

Getting a new car in a few weeks so going to be fitting a Thule WingBar to the roof rails. Question is what carrier to get for holding the bikes. I like the idea of the fork mounted roof carriers but as I have a few bikes with different fork configurations (road QR, MTB 15mm & 20mm) is it going be a hassle or added expense for having multiple fork mounts. how long does it take to change form mounts?

Should I go for a Thule fork mount option like the 561 carrier or does it make more sense to go 591?

grantyboy
    Free Member

anyone?

I’m thinking 561 then get a couple of Hurricane Components Fork Up adapters for easier mounting

fbk
    Free Member

I had a 591 which was effective but I never liked the amount the bikes wobbled with it, and you have to be careful to line the frame up in the grip properly. Changed to a 561 (qr/20mm) and a pendle (15mm) fork mount rack and never looked back – easy to mount on the roof, fitted all my bikes between them and absolutely solid. The pendle was better quality but a bit more of a faff to fit on the bars. The 561 a bit more plasticy but had the locking qr.

I’ve changed to a tow bar track now though – might be willing to sell the racks if you’re interested 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

I have a 561 which I really like and has served me very well. Seems so much more solid and stable than the down tube-gripping types. Would definitely recommend.

grantyboy
    Free Member

what about the Hurricane Components Fork Up adapters, do they work well and quickly with the 561?

theflatboy
    Free Member

I haven’t used one, but actually now need to get one myself due to procurement of a Lefty-equipped bike. So we’ll find out! AFAIK they’re the business, though.

fbk
    Free Member

I looked at the adapters but figured, for the money, I was better off getting another rack – glad I did as the pendle is lovely. You know the 561 comes with kit to fit a qr or 20mm?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Roof Bike Carrier Advice Needed’ is closed to new replies.