Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Roof bars / Bike Rack recommendation
  • poly
    Free Member

We are about to replace our car. The old car has a tow bar (which we mount a tow bar rack on), the new car does not. However it does come fitted with “Roof rails” (longitudinal bars on the sides of the roof – hope that is the right name). This leads to a whole heap of retail opportunity questions, for which I am looking for the considered opinions of the STW hive.

Some more info:

Family trip likely to involve –

– 1 Small Cube Hardtail (WLS Access)
    – 1 Boardman FS Team
    – 1 Isla Bike Beinn 26 (and should be this for all of 2013 at least)
    – 1 Isla Bike Cnoc 16 which will become a Beinn 20 next year.

Riding with friends would usually involve one of the above top 2 above + 2 adult MTBs if taking our car.

There is also occasionally a need to take a single road bike.

Currently I would say we use the tow bar rack about once a month (plus holidays etc). As most riding is from home and friends take turns.
    The Beinn 26 goes to ‘bike club’ once a week, but usually drop back seats and dump in the back. Less keen to do that with a shiny new (to me) car than the old wreck.

Q1(a): How difficult are roof bars to adjust to fit various permutations of bike (different size tyres, frames etc)? (b) Are any models/brands better worse?

Q2(a): How much difference to fuel economy does the roof kit make when not being used with bikes on it? (b) Are any models/brands better worse to fit / remove between use?

Q3(a): What do I need: Roof Bars (the perpendicular bars); Feet (to attach to rails); Bike racks X3 ? (b) Prices vary significantly – what’s the view on value for money / preferred model – the bikes probably give you an idea how seriously (or not) we take biking, brand names and how much cash we have to splash!

iainc

I have an estate car with roof rails and the bike setup is 3 Thule 591 carriers, on Thule aero bars. The aero bars clamp onto the roof rails and are locked on (locks are integral to the Thule feet). the bike carriers are then locked onto the roof bars. I could easily get 4 on, but no need. It tends to carry either one of my bikes twice a week and the addition of kids bikes at weekend. the wheel mounts slide so easy to put virtually any bike on. I had a cx bike, a Beinn 26 and a Beinn 20 on it an hour ago 😆

Fuel wise driving around with the racks on all the time as I do takes about 4 mpg off. With bikes on about 7 mpg as long as keep the speed sensible.

have a look at roofbox.co.uk – they have a bit where you input car type and it gives you options. Thule are the best by a mile

iainc

double post

baldman
    Free Member

4 full size bikes easily with thule proride 951 on mine (estate with roof rails), though usually just 2 adults and 2 kids bikes.

prorides fit huge range of bikes – never had one that didn’t fit including kids balance bikes, small kids bikes, various full sus designs and hard tails. Also easy to quickly move on to other cars if using the t track fittings and aerobars.

Doesn’t seem to make much difference to fuel economy when just the bars and bike carriers are on, more noticeable difference with 4 bikes on top – similar to iainc.

Albanach
    Free Member

As an alternative I’ve been using Atera Giro AF carriers with Atera Aero Bars (oval shaped with I channel) and have had no bother and rate them. Not used Thule so can’t really comment but from looking at other people’s I think Thule may be a wee bit more user friendly but I’ve no complaints about them. Most I have had is 2 bikes and a roofbox on my A4 estate roof rails.

poly
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Has anyone gone from tow bar to roof bars and regretted it?

I know Thule will be good, but is it really worth the extra? e.g. anyone any experience of the Cruz (preferable who has also used the thule ones) – at 1/4 the price of a 591 is rubbish or ok for someone using it once a month? http://www.roofbox.co.uk/bike-carriers/bike-carriers-racks-range.php

MartynS

Poly,

I have two Thule bike carriers and Thule aerobars with foot pack that I’m about to put on the classifieds, or possibly ebay..

They will fit a bigger estate car. I’ve now got a BM 3 series and the roof bars are closer together than my last car (mondeo).
    If your interested Mail me (I’m in Stockport if your close enough to have a look)

To answer some of your Q’s you’ll get everything up there. Thule stuff is really easy to re-configure its just sliding trays for the wheels.
    Fuel is down about 5mpg

You HAVE to remember they are up there..height barriers are not your friend!

Only used/had Thule its expensive but worth it. You might only use it once a month, but your bike only has to fall off once….

mikertroid
    Free Member

Have moved from boot to roof and its not too bad. Very quick off/on with a thule 591, and I don’t have to worry about parking and a great protrusion hanging off.

Although this is for my drive/ride commute where I park in a town car park to ride away. For MTB duties I’d stick to my towbar rack as I’ve got a tallish 4×4 and the MTBs are a bit more weighty, and I tend to park way off the beaten track when riding off road.

poly
    Free Member

Thanks MartynS – I’m near Edinburgh so not exactly on your doorstep!

TiRed

The nice thing about roof bars is that they are “just there”. So you find many more reasons to use the car/bike combo. Dropping bikes off, kids errands, I probably use mine once a week for this. Plus serious duties.

Four 591’s on aerobars on a CRV here. If I had the roof rails option, I may be tempted to remove them from time to time, but four carriers and bars won’t be light.

andermt
    Free Member

Is there any reason you can’t fit a tow-bar?

If you already have a tow-bar mounted carrier I’d go down that route personally.

poly
    Free Member

andermt – Member
    Is there any reason you can’t fit a tow-bar?

If you already have a tow-bar mounted carrier I’d go down that route personally.
    Its certainly a possibility but I’d expect a tow bar is going to be approaching £300 to fit. The Rack we have is not entirely without faffage (especially swapping between different sized bikes) no longer tilts (blocking access to boot) and needs a little TLC – so is probably likely to be replaced anyway.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Roof bars / Bike Rack recommendation’ is closed to new replies.