Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Roof bars – are they all equal?
  • CalamityJames
    Free Member

I’d like to get some roof bars/ bike rack for our Qashqai, but there are so many different types. What should I look for, and are some better than others? Was going to go the Thule route just because that seems the best option?

maloney19710776
    Free Member

i went with a pair of cruz bars, done 400 miles with them since november with no bother.
    http://www.roofbox.co.uk

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

I recokon I fitted 1000 roofbars during my 8 year sentence at Halfords. No they are not all equal.

Cheap brands – avoid – they tend to damage your car. Paddy (Shoddy Hopkirk) were particularly aweful

Mid-range – Fine, they just take longer to fit/take off. Ideal if you aren’t going to use them much

Thule – the best. Pricey up front, but they sell secondhand very well. I’m still trying to find a secondhand pair of 969 areo bars for less than I can buy them brand new. They fit in a few minutes (very handy when it’s raining). They tend to be quieter if you buy the aero bars and they often have locks included. I still buy Thule even though I only use them a few times a year.

nemesis
    Free Member

FWIW, my exodus (Halfords own brand) aero ones are fine. I’ve taken them on and off loads with no issues and done some long trips with three bikes on top similarly problem free.

I’m using Thule bike racks on them fwiw

austy
    Free Member

Got myself a set of whispbars, they are an aero profile and silent when they are on, also from rooftop.Co.UK

Noise is a big problem if you are driving any distance and they are howling.
    A friend of mine was driven mad on only a 50 mile trip.

Think whispbars have a video on their website showing the difference.

nemesis
    Free Member

Ime, it’s not the bars that make the noise, it’s the bike racks. My exodus ones are silent on their own but with my (thule) bike racks on, there’s a whistling from 30 to 55ish mph. Not loud enough to ‘drive me mad’ but a bit annoying. I tend to just turn the music up if I’m driving on roads at those sorts of speeds.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Yonks ago Halfords’ own-brand kit closely resembled that made by a top name. It might be worth a close look still.

And if you add straps for extra peace of mind, putting a twist in them stops them humming.

Daffy

Whisp bars would be my recommendation.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Yonks ago Halfords’ own-brand kit closely resembled that made by a top name. It might be worth a close look still.

Halfords buy their own brand roofbars (and roof boxes) from Thule. The bike cariers are from Paddy Hopkirk. I’m on Thule carriers.

PePPeR

If you have any noise from the bars or bike holders, just get some pipe lagging and add it to the bars with cable ties, shuts them up brilliantly.

richardkennerley

+1 for Whispbars. They sit flush inside the roof rails which is nice

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Very helpful, thanks one and all. Lots to look into.

matt_outandabout

Our square Thule and feet are 12 years old of canoe and bike carrying. Well worth it for how tough and simple to fit.
    The new feet for Galaxy are the only but of Thule design I have found to be crap – more the tracks fault on the car though.

choppersquad
    Free Member

+2 for Whispbars.
    If you’re going to leave them on all the time, then these are the ones for you.
    I was hunting around then watched the video on their website.
    Certainly haven’t regretted the extra few quid.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Roof bars – are they all equal?’ is closed to new replies.