Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Rons v beavers
  • ferrals
    Free Member

I’m still umming and ahhing about getting some more mud specific tyres, been holding off assuming Spring will come, but that’s not happening, 5 weeks till first race and rain all the way in the long term forecast. Almost feel like even if it stopped raining now it’ll still be muddy in a month given the saturation levels.

How much better grip do beavers have over rons? Currently got 2.25 rons front and rear. Thinking about getting a pair of 2in beavers as an be had for £30 a tyre, however tread doesn’t look ridiculously different between rons and beavers, wondering about either just getting a narrower Ron for the rear or maybe a beaver / dirty dan for the rear and sticking with a 2.25 Ron up front. Can’t get wider beavers for 27.5.

mtbfix

Beavers are a nice tyre for the wet. I suppose Rons might work ok at the mo if your terrain is reasonably dry or free draining.

ferrals
    Free Member

Cheers, I’m not to worried about my local terrain, more racing in north wales at llandegla in 5 weeks, from a previous thread it’s pretty muddy/loamy if wet but I guess it is fast draining if it’s like the steeper hills in s. Wales. Not sure about the durability of the side walls on the beavers? Not that durability as such matters, more the potential for a catastrophic cut mid race. Hmmmm….

Kryton57

Loamy and soft it’s Rons. They are relatively Spikey. If it’s real wet slop or clay, Beavers.

jam-bo

I’ve been rocking beavers since November. At this rate they’ll be staining on until June…

ferrals
    Free Member

Think I’ll order some, they’ll be useful here for the next few weeks if not for the race

ferrals
    Free Member

EXO or eXc? How fragile are the eXc? 60g weight penalty per tyre

sideshow
    Free Member

I’m not kind to sidewalls but my beaver 2.25 exo have been fine. Better than schwalbe snakeskin.

ferrals
    Free Member

Cheers, ordered the EXO, reviews say the exc are fragile and actually weight wise they are the same as what I’m running now. Just wish I’d got round to getting mud tyres for the soggy bottom I raced in Jan!

jam-bo

I ran beavers for that soggy, it didn’t help.

ferrals
    Free Member

Are you going to do the second? I shouldn’t, but despite the mud I really enjoyed the first so half thinking I’ll come down for it. Race yourself fit and all.

jam-bo

I’ll decide nearer the time. It’s only 10miles down the road but unless it dries up a bit I probably won’t. It’s even worse down here now than it was then

ferrals
    Free Member

Ah is it, I was getting increasingly in the mood for a drive, but as it’s unlikely to have stopped raining by then I might to bother. Will be a last min decision anyhow

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Rons v beavers’ is closed to new replies.