Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Ronnie O'Sullivan
  • woody2000

Have we done this yet?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/sep/20/ronnie-osullivan-147

Can’t believe he had to be persuaded to pot the black, just because there wasn’t an extra prize. The guy’s won millions from snooker, yet wasn’t prepared to pot the black for the adulation alone. 🙄

snakebite
    Free Member

he’s a genius, they are like that. Did you see how nonchalantly he whacked the black into the top corner barely looking at it? compare that to the suspense of Taylor’s 55 minute clearance…..

marsdenman
    Free Member

Saw it live – the guy has some ability but, his wiring needs work…!

woody2000

Not sure genius is the right word….

Can’t imagine many footballing “geniuses” would need persuading to score the winning goal. 🙄

tails
    Free Member

He’d already won. I see his point scoring 147 is hard for even the very best, also some chap said he was pumping money into the sport but has not. We’d all like more money.

Would and should ronaldo stay at real madrid if they offered him £14k a week when he can command £140k a week, should you stay at a job paying £20k when a competitor is offering £35k

warton
    Free Member

Can’t imagine many footballing “geniuses” would need persuading to score the winning goal

As he was 140-0 up in the frame I don’t think that black was crucial. he was just having a laugh, forget it, I bet he has.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Any press is good press.

richmtb

Most gifted snooker player ever, also total twunt though

darrenm
    Free Member

He had alreday potted the winning ball a fair few shots before though. I can see why he would leave the black on the table – I wonder how many tournaments don’t have a big prize for a 147?

woody2000

I just think that as it’s such a comparitively rare occurence, and something that the fans love to see (especially from him), it’s a two fingered salute to the paying public to not complete the break. Poor form I say!

glenp
    Free Member

The most remarkable thing about that was when he first asked about the 147 prize. After one ball. Now that’s confidence!

When he did the five minute 147, he said afterwards that he knew 147 was on before he even started the break.

The guy is a genius, and the only reason anyone else ever wins a snooker tournament is his tortured personality.

deepreddave
    Free Member

He needs to be a bit more respectful but the game needs him more than he needs it and Mr Hearns knows that. When’s he gonna do a 147 on tv left handed?

Reluctant
    Free Member

I’m with Ron on this one. Why do a job if you’re not getting paid for it? The tourament sponsers should have considered this before the event.

woody2000

He’s hardly “not getting paid” is he? Career earnings in excess of £6 million, sponsorship deals etc etc. He’s worth nothing without the people who pay to see him, so a bit more respect needed. Same goes for a lot of professional sports people TBH.

glenp
    Free Member

He’s a flawed genius. If he didn’t have any flaws, he wouldn’t be a flawed genius.

Plus it is very much a big money TV sport, and he is very much the best player of all time. The lack of respect is on the part of the tournament organisers – they aren’t showing respect to the paying public by failing to have a 147 prize, which they could insure against anyway.

Shakey
    Free Member

If I were Ronnie I would have deliberately missed!

Hairychested
    Free Member

I understand him. The sponsors know how much publicity 147 creates so why no prize? He should’ve done it left-handed.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Respectful or disrespectful he doesn’t bother me…if he walks away from the game it’ll be even more boring than it is now and Barry Hearn knows that.

tonyd

I don’t think he was showing any disrespect to his fans at all. As he said, £4000 less taxes doesn’t come out to much. When you take into account how many people can and have completed a (televised) 147 I’d say he’s worth a bit more than £4k.

I wonder if the TV company and/or organisers own the TV rights to that? If they do I bet they make more than £4k out of it.

donsimon
    Free Member

This 147 means O’Sullivan now holds outright the record for the most televised maximum breaks – today’s was his 10th, taking him clear of the previous record he held jointly with Stephen Hendry.

Surely as a competitor, breaking this record would mean something. Life isn’t just about money. But he also has a point about prize money too.

aracer
    Free Member

I just think that as it’s such a comparitively rare occurence, and something that the fans love to see (especially from him), it’s a two fingered salute to the paying public to not complete the break. Poor form I say!

The thing is they’d already seen most of a 147 break even if he didn’t pot the black. As for rare occurences, how rare is a 140 break with a black left on the table? As a fan I don’t think I’d be at all cheated not to see him pot a black he’d clearly not miss (not even that remarkable if he’d potted the black left handed – it was an easy pot, and he’d made at least one more difficult shot left handed earlier in the break). Instead I’d think I’d been witness to something truly historic. As it is people will talk about this for a week – if he’d refused to pot the black they’d talk about it for years (could see it as a future “what happened next” – then again I suppose that’s still possible).

The expression on his opponent’s face when he was asking about the 147 prize was interesting!

Hairychested
    Free Member

Funnily enough, at the end of the previous frame my wife said “Now he’ll do the maximum.”. The game is clearly fixed!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I don’t know the bloke and have never seen him play but I like his attitude. I guess it was one of 2 scenarios

1) He genuinely doesn’t care about the 147 in which case he decides the job is done and leaves. the ref calls him back and he does it for the fans. Top bloke. Also turns out to be the world record for televised 147 breaks so double doesn’t care about the break.

2) He knows that if he does it as a publicity stunt he will get publicity. He risks the ref not calling him back and losing the 147 break and the world record. Good nerves and top bloke.

I know some people will read both of the paragraphs above and want to replace top bloke with knob. they may want to ask themselves why they feel this about a bloke who is clearly at the top of his game, entertains the crowd and draws in good publicity for his sport.

As I said though, I don’t know the bloke

donsimon
    Free Member

And Ronnie says.

brakes
    Free Member

ha! he had you all….
    penis

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Brilliant – absolute legend!

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

He is clearly not a well man.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Ronnie O'Sullivan’ is closed to new replies.