Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Romsey – what's the road riding like?
  • cinnamon_girl

Are the minor roads reasonably safe? Anywhere to avoid? Any route recommendations?

Thanks. 🙂

garage-dweller

Shouldnt be that bad. I off road round there periodically but not on road. just based on driving on it i would Avoid the A27 especially around Chilworth. Are you local or visiting area? Drivers around here are absolutely off their brains for the most part at the moment.

garage-dweller

Sorry you said minor roads those ought to be more sane/safe. It is nice round there.

chojin
    Free Member

It’s not too bad, you can ride out towards Chilbolton and Stockbridge – actually it makes for a bloody nice road ride. Romsey itself is fairly rural, plenty of riding to be had.

dobo
    Free Member

I ride north of romsey area, theres some nice country lanes which are quite with some good routes, dean, houhgton, braisfield, crawley chilbolton and loads more, depends how far and where your starting

South west of romsey is the new forest so thats fairly decent riding.

cinnamon_girl

OK, thanks very much chaps. 8)

Stockbridge is very tempting, haven’t been there for years.

I’m OK for mtb routes, have done a fair bit of roaming around that bit of Hampshire. 🙂

pjm84
    Free Member

Nice ride out to Stockbridge via the back roads, coffee at Stokes, back via Farley Mount.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

coffee at Stokes

Hmmmmm, Stokes! Had a lovely spot of lunch in there the other day. Time and Tides, over the other side, is also well worth a look. Very good cheesemonger, and Ashley does some cracking fish if you’re after something to take home for dinner!

As long as you stick to the back roads, there’s some great riding around Romsey and the Test Valley. Some lovely pubs, too, with the Boot at Houghton being a current fave. the garden of the Star at Tytherley is also well worth a leisurely lounge around mid-ride.

brassneck

If you want to add a few miles and hills, head further north and skirt around Andover, via Test Valley (Wherwell Longparish Hurstbourne Priors etc) or west side via Weyhill, Abbotts Ann – Vernham Dean being the loop point.

I ride down to Romsey on occasion, and Stockbridge is a handy refuelling point, though I tend to pick up a takeaway espresso from Lily Langtree’s.

Mottisfont is also a nice stop if you’re an NT member, Houghton Lodge too.

Avoid the main road though if I were you (A3057) for as much as possible, the alternatives are much nicer.

jambalaya
    Free Member

It’s like being in a time warp, I grew up in the area. My parents still live just outside Stockbridge.

Generally the back roads are fairly quiet, scenic and rolling hills. The Romsey /Stockbridge Road and WInchester/Stockbridge roads do see some lorry traffic. Way way back the TDF came through Wherwell.

cinnamon_girl

Ooooh, more info – thanks!

Stokes? Where is that?

Many years ago I rode a Test Valley Tour road event starting at Broadlands and finishing with a cream tea. It was 100km (I was on a mountain bike) and I thought then how pleasant and pretty it was. Unfortunately I did not have a GPS at that time so haven’t a clue where exactly the route went.

TDF in Wherwell – I saw it in Basingstoke and that seems such a long time ago!

cinnamon_girl

On another (light-hearted) note, if I rock up at a pub in Wiltshire accompanied only by my bike nobody really bats an eyelid. 😀

Hampshire however has in the past been a different matter. 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Stokes – In the old garage, just next to Robjents. (Left hand side, as you come down the hill from the Salisbury end of town). Much, much, much better than Lilly’s which has gone downhill since everyone’s favourite camp baker left town! 🙂

Re ‘rocking up’, well if you’re doing that, no wonder no one wants to make eye contact! Walk properly! 😉 Oh, and it depends what part of Hampshire, shirley? After all, Basingstoke is in Hampshire, but then so is Stockers. And Swindon is in Wiltshire, but then so is Marlborough. Every county has some bad bits! 😉

cinnamon_girl

Thanks Cap’n, will look out for Stokes.

Yeah, understand what you’re saying. Pub near New Alresford was distinctly unimpressed with my son’s reasonably serious ponytail! Oh and another pub wouldn’t serve a group of us mtb’ers any food despite my having been there the previous week to check. We clearly weren’t ‘well heeled of Winchester’. 😆

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Pop in to my place and say Hi! if you are passing

cinnamon_girl

Thanks WCA. 8)

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Was taken to The Grange last weekend (just N of Arlesford) – looked nice lanes for a ride if twisty and potentially tricky with poor visibility (lots of wispy grass etc). Rather Enid Blyton-ish.

(I was thinking about you last week BTW – how are you doing?)

brassneck

Oh, and it depends what part of Hampshire, shirley?

There are nicer parts of Hampshire than Shirley 😉

re: le TDF – did they do the ‘Wherwell Hairpin’?? Must have been expecting a few more!

cinnamon_girl

The Grange is a fantastic building in a beautiful setting, have actually been inside too. Years ago we had a girlie ride there and had our picnic on the lawn!

The Candover Valley is very good for cycling and deservedly popular. Actually there’s some most pleasant trails around there too.

I’m OK, just very busy and no riding. Thanks for asking. 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

re: le TDF – did they do the ‘Wherwell Hairpin’?? Must have been expecting a few more!

It was Cat 4, IIRC!

40mpg

Only just seen this thread.

I regularly ride my road bike round the Test Valley and New Forest. Was out Tuesday evening round the TV for a lovely 46 miles with some great views. Started at the bottom of the M271 (just handy to meet with a mate) for the back road (Lee Lane) to Romsey, then Briashfield, Kings Somborne, Cow Drove Hill (just resurfaced, lovely and smooth!) to Stockbridge, up to Fullerford then back down the other side of the Test to the other end of Stockbridge, Straight across the road to Houghton, turn right to the Tytherleys, West Dean, Lockerley, cross the A27 at Shootash, cross the A36 at Wellow, Furzley, Newbridge, Winsor (and a quick pint in the Compass) and back home.

Link the above for a scenic tour on quiet roads (hardly saw a car despite riding from 6.30 – 8.30pm)

Roads in the Forest seem to have more potholes – most of the above are nice smooth tarmac and in reasonable repair – guess its the extra tourist traffic in NF

thomthumb
    Free Member

a27/ a30 are to be avoided. a 3057 is ok – but much nicer alternativers. if you head north from romsey (a3057) then turn left or right at any opertunity there are great roads to be had.

in no particular order villages that are on good routes.

West/ east dean, west/ east grimstead, mottisfont, lockerly, farley mount, longstock, sherfield english, doctors hill, dean hill, pitton.

it’s also great for acessing the new forest via the north – just plan crossing the a36 – again it’s not the worst road to be on but limiting time on it is best imo.

nixie

Head to the forest? Lee lane then over Eling tide mill then take your pick of forest routes.

brassneck

It was Cat 4, IIRC!

Fantastic! I’ll award the maillot des pois on our next entirely uncompetitive honest group ride.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

You’re spoilt for choice IMO. You can easily link together 100 miles without ever going near a main road.

If you go to the New Forest then it would be rude not to stop at Carlos, especially in this weather. There’s also a nice Cafe at the garden centre in Kingsworthy.

It was Cat 4, IIRC!

Really? I’m surprised it was graded. It’s not steep at all and easily climbed in the big ring. There’s a tiny section that hits 8%, the rest is no more than 6%, and it’s very short.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks again for more useful info. I shall be avoiding the New Forest like the plague!

scaredypants

it would be rude not to stop at Carlos

😯
    (just down the road from me and I still wouldn’t ride to it – did you move away a long time ago ?)

CG, (potholes aside) why avoid the forest ?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Romsey – what's the road riding like?’ is closed to new replies.