Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Rome for New Year – top tips?
  • Mintman
    Free Member

Thinking about 3 or 4 days in Rome over New Year – anyone got any thoughts or experience on which bit of the city to stay in? Things to see/do/avoid etc?

Any top tips greatly appreciated!

footflaps

We went this February and stayed in a tiny B&B about 20 yards from the Trevi Fountain. Was a good location, everything within walking distance and out of the main season it’s quite quiet.

Trevi Fountain by brf, on Flickr

heisenberg
    Free Member

somewhere around trevi is a good base point.. near walking distance to metro station is very good too.. would suggest Spagna or Berberini.
    download the apps on your iphone that has Rome Map and points you where you are it is ace. have fun 😉 dont forget to eat pistachio gelato 😮

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

I suggest using the trip advisor app to find the decent restaurants. You can easily end up paying a fortune for a poor meal. Especially in the touristy bits. I also recommend checking the trip advisor website when you book your hotel. I ended up paying €160 for a very average hotel, while my colleagues payed €50 for a really good one

footflaps

There have been a few threads on Rome: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/what-to-see-in-rome

eskay

Some fantastic history and amazing things to see but it is a bloody rip off.

I would stay out of the center and travel in each day (we stayed near the Spanish Steps and struggled to find anywhere decent to eat that was sensibly priced).

There are a lot of restaurants that will charge you 25 euros for a microwave meal.

Worth a look but won’t be going back.

matthew_h
    Free Member

I went earlier this month for four nights.

We stayed here:

http://www.domuspinciana.it/

It was really pretty decent, especially for the money. Nothing amazing but a nice room and decent breakfast. Close enough to all the good stuff that we walked everywhere without being right in the centre.

We had some great meals for not much money. Can’t remember all the names of he restaurants but can find out for you if you want.

lucien

Night time Segway tour with Rex Tours was about the best thing I’ve ever done – only 2 of us, over 3 hours and mega informative and only about £100 for both of us. Segway

porlus
    Free Member

Went a number if years back for my birthday. Would recommend walking pretty much all over the centre. You will miss so many little gems going on public transport. Narrow medieval streets, Roman digs you can peer into etc.
    Good place to eat is here

http://www.vineriailchianti.com/

Ate there twice and was impressed. Best pizza I have ever had. Full of Italians as well, so always a good sign if the locals eat there.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Go to the Vatican

Here’s my lasting memory, now on my living room wall , Contax G1 and Kodak Tri-X

wolfenstein
    Free Member

The vatican demands the whole day tour which is a must and book online for tickets to avoid hour long queue.. And do get a tour guide or join one..worth every penny . Trip advisor app comes very handy, i always check restaurants of their ranking and reviews before eating..unless its a restaurant in front of parthenon..even gelato shops 🙂 food are cheap actually considering a tourist spot.

Mintman
    Free Member

Loads of great suggestions so thank you all very much. I’m loving the photos (and on the original thread); i’m looking at printing something to go on a wall at home so you’ve reminded me to take my camera with me!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Rome for New Year – top tips?’ is closed to new replies.