Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Rolling Resistance – Rear more important than front?
  • Earl
    Free Member

Is it more important to have a better rolling tyre on the back than it is on the front?

Or other words it ok to put a draggy/gripy tyre on the front as it won’t make much difference from a less draggy one.

oxym0r0n

Yes

supertacky
    Free Member

For me its more about cornering grip versus rolling resistance. Grippy on the front and low rolling and slidy on the back. Its okay if the rear takes the occasional holiday! 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TheBrick
    Free Member

Rolling resistance is quite complex as it is a combination of friction, case deformation, tyre pressure, terrain e.t.c but friction is proportional to the normal reaction so because a rear tyre carries more weight than the front it has more friction.

mboy
    Free Member

You won’t really notice putting a slow rolling tyre on the front.

You will notice massively a slow rolling tyre on the rear.

When you’re sat on the bike, most of your weight is on the rear tyre, ergo it’s the one that makes the biggest difference…

avdave2

So as an aside does anyone here run different tyre pressures front and rear.

the-muffin-man

So as an aside does anyone here run different tyre pressures front and rear.

Yep – always higher in the rear tyre by at least 5psi.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

I nearly always run different pressures F+R … also quite often run different tyres, sizes, models and brands.

Doesn’t everyone?

TheSwede
    Free Member

Oh who am I to give advice. I withdraw my ramblings. Twas right though 😉

chiefgrooveguru

Yes, about 25% harder at the back than the front.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

What did you say Swede? I must have missed it.

Earl
    Free Member

Wow – 2 for 1 deal on tyre knowledge! Sweet.

avdave2

I ask because a lot of people on here will say what tyres they run and at what sort of pressure but rarely mention running different front and rear pressures. It makes sense due to weight distribution although I guess that distribution can vary significantly as you move around on the bike and braking must also have quite an affect.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i mentioned running different front;rear pressures on my road bike on here and almost got burnt at a stake!

i normally pump my tyres up to the same and then let them down by diffrent amounts.

steve_b77
    Free Member

On my FS I run a narrower tyre at the back than the front.

When it’s a bit wet/muddy I run a 2.1″ NN on the back and a 2.25″ NN on the front, in the dry I have a 2.1″ RR on the rear with the same on the front.

On a dry/fireroad/drawn out climb you can certainly feel the difference between the NN and the RR on the back

Pressure wise I tend to have 30-32psi in the front and 35-40psi in the rear.

On my HT it tends to be the same tyre front and rear, but again similar pressures as in the case of the FS.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thing is harder rear tyres sound sensible but you lose too much grip on downhill and can’t corner to your bikes full potential.

andy7t2
    Free Member

i always to the same tyres front and rear cause it looks right

R.lepecha

i always to the same tyres front and rear cause it looks right

isn’t the whole idea that it works better than how it looks?

oxym0r0n

Higher pressure on the rear and different tyre/width often too.

Eg summer: Panaracer Razer 2.3 on front 30psi, WTB Nanraptor rear 2.1 35-40psi

LoveTubs
    Free Member

The fact that your expending brain-time on this subject is beyond me….rolling res on a mountain bike…go figure girl-friend 😯 😛

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Rolling Resistance – Rear more important than front?’ is closed to new replies.