Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • rolling out office 2010
  • TreeWhatTree….
    Free Member

Boss "I don't have time to do this so you must" OK so I don't have time either but I guess that **** rolls down hill…

How best to roll out office 2010? Curently running a mix of 2003 and 2007 as users prefer and I think that we're not planning to force every one to use 2010 but just give the option to install if they want to.

We have exchange 2007 (version 8.2 build 176.2) and about 65 users with skills from developers through to those that have just mastered cut and paste.

Any help?

Cougar

Curently running a mix of 2003 and 2007 as users prefer and I think that we're not planning to force every one to use 2010 but just give the option to install

IMHO, that's your first mistake. Personally, I'd pick a version and standardise on it.

Is there any reason to go to 2010 other than "because you can"? Are there any benefits to it for you? If not, I'd roll out 2007 across the board so that everyone's on the same version. It's a support headache otherwise, you get people saving .docx files that half the office can't open.

Having -three- distinct versions out there is surely more trouble than it's worth.

Milkie
    Free Member

Don't give them options! It will cause more problems than its worth.

As above, I'd roll out 2007 and get rid of all other versions, I wouldn't upgrade to 2010 unless the developers require it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    FuzzyWuzzy

I don't get involved in desktop packaging these days but we generally use SMS, assuming you haven't got that then either install via log-in script, group policy or user-initiated (i.e. give them a link) would be the basic methods. If you're using mixed versions you should use group policy to enforce a common file version standard (e.g. if you have 2003, 2007 and 2010 installs then you might need to force everyone to save Word docs in 2003 format so everyone can read each other's docs).

GrahamS

Warning: everyone will immediately hate using the new Ribbon interface. Purely because it is different to what they are used to.

It's actually a LOT better than the old interface, but it takes a while to get used to. If you give them any choice at all they will reject it entirely and stick with older versions.

Then you're into .doc versus .docx layout issues etc.

samuri
    Free Member

through to those that have just mastered cut and paste.

Expert user base eh? You're lucky.

titusrider
    Free Member

Excel 2010 is the dogs gonads when it comes to BI, power pivot rocks my world 🙂

Upgrade everyone 🙂

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

upgrade to 2007/2010 across the board.

But also install the 'classic menu' here for us ludites who like the old layouts.
    tis what i did.

But you do have the problem that if your sending the docs out – then not everyone has upgraded to 2007 – so you still end up having to save down to doc format, and have the associated formating problems on occasion.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

I've uninstalled 2010 and gone back to 07. New outlook wouldn't let my machine shut down.

Could just be me though

binners

Throw the whole sorry lot in a pond and buy some macs. That way you get an operating system that actually works 🙂

GrahamS

Throw the whole sorry lot in a pond and buy some macs. That way you get an operating system that actually works

Which you can then install Microsoft Office for Macs on 😀

BigJohn

I tried the 2010 beta and found it to be very slow indeed. If you have any older PCs in the network, just get them to install the add-ons for the docx xlsx compatibility.

Stoner
    Free Member

Warning: everyone will immediately hate using the new Ribbon interface. Purely because it is different to what they are used to. gash

Fixed that for you 😉

Anyone touches my Excel 2003 and they'll be pulling "ribbons" out of their rsoles for a week. Now leave me alone, Im off to DATEDIF stuff 😉

TreeWhatTree….
    Free Member

Thanks for all your comments, I'm thinking send everyone a link asking them to upgrade at a convenient time and those that are left will have to sit and wait as it will install via a script at logon as we don’t have SMS. Thanks again.

spacemonkey

Warning: everyone will immediately hate using the new Ribbon interface. Purely because it is different to what they are used to.

Not everyone – I got right into it from the start because I was so bored with the 2000/XP/2003 tabs.

BTW, if you want an example of IT illiteracy: I deal a lot with public sector, and one particular person is an IT Training Manager – she called me the other day to ask how to install an update, "Does that mean I have to download it to the RAM first?" FFS, you're in charge of IT training and you come up with stuff like that?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘rolling out office 2010’ is closed to new replies.