Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Rolling back to an earlier iOS. Advice needed…
  • eddiebaby
    Free Member

Updated my IPad Mini 2 this morning from iOS 8 to the current 10. Don’t like it and want to go back. My iPad is backed up on the Mac at home. I did the update wirelesly and haven’t connected to the Mac since I did the update.
    Am I right in thinking that if i simply restore from the back up it will automatically update to the new OS? And if so is there a way round this?

Drac

The backup is your content not the iOS it’s possible to do a roll back but it’s a bit fiddly.

Jamie
    Free Member

Without sounding like a nob, your time will be better spent learning to love iOS10.

1. You can’t go back (easily).
    2. Over time apps will break.
    3. You will miss security updates.

muggomagic

As above really. If any of your apps have updated since the update to iOS 10, (unless you have a copy on itunes of the old version) then they most likely won’t work if you were to actually manage to roll it back to iOS 8

simon_g

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2016/09/downgrade-iphone-ipad-ios-10-ios-9-3-5.html but pick a ios8 firmware to download instead.

But yes, fiddly and you’re better off living with ios10 IMO.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice chaps. I’ll give it a couple of days to see if I can cope with it. Everything seems a bit slow though. And I hate the fact that I now have to use the home button to open it…

Jamie
    Free Member

The prob is it’s the future. So if you buy a new iPad/iPhone it’ll be the same.

iOS 11 is just round the corner as well.

mrmo
    Free Member

if slow is the issue, do not update to 11 when it asks. As for going back see comments above.

allthegear
    Free Member

11 appears to be at least as quick as 10 to me.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

As an update, I kept 10 on the iPad and as I used it it seemed a lot of the problems vanished, speed is back to good and all the little freezes and glitches have died down. Almost like the apps had to run a bit to make themselves work with the new OS.
    Haven’t done the app updates yet a I want to check I won’t be losing any beloved features. The only real pain now is having to use the home button to turn it on, bound to shorten the life of it to a degree.

GrahamS

Can’t you press the power button?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Sorry a bad explanation by me.
    You need to use the home button to unlock the screen.

ivorhogseye
    Free Member

Eddie, I think there’s a setting to revert to the old behaviour of the home button. Go have a look

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Bother. I don’t have a touch ID device. I can bodge it with accessibilty controls but have a tiny menuette on the screen at all times.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Rolling back to an earlier iOS. Advice needed…’ is closed to new replies.