Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Rollers with resistance – any better than a turbo
  • Rik
    Free Member

Hate turbo trainer sessions, absolutely hate it, but it’s a means to an end.

Never tried rollers before as in the past their was no resistance. These new models like:

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TRSCPRGA/sportcrafters-overdrive-pro-aluminium-rollers

Look far better and offer resistance. Are they more fun and not as boring as you are actually get the sensation of riding your bike. Rather than the turbo monotony.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I have been using rollers for 20 years and last winter I bought some of the sports crafter resistance ones as I too hate being bolted to a turbo.

They are a little stiff for the 1st 5 mins but once warmed up they’re great. You can do high power intervals on them without spinning out but as you slow the speed down they rein back the resistance so you can spin and recover.

benji
    Free Member

I love rollers, hated turbo’s, with rollers you have to concentrate and actually ride your bike. Not got ones with resistance, but tyres at 80psi tend to work well for a harder workout.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Rik
    Free Member

Sounds great – the sport crafter ones seem pretty good value and look well made.

I usually stick a mtb DVD on while on the turbo but can’t manage more than 45mins due to boredom. But obviously after the initial learning go the roller technique are they more fun?

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Hmm, not what I’d call ‘fun’ but certainly keeps the interest level over the turbo, also develops certain peddling and balance skills that get lost on turbos.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

…can’t manage more than 45mins due to boredom.

Check out TrainerRoad

STW TrainerRoad thread

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

rollers are great and combined with sufferfest videos are more ‘enjoyable’.

although the issue i have is i cannot stand up on the rollers – tried the other day and was promptly thrown off the rollers into the window!

Rik
    Free Member

‘ fun ‘ in the sense you get off you bike when your totally f#(ked, rather than because you can’t take the boredom anymore

mrblobby
    Free Member

There’s a bit more going on than with the turbo, but it’s still a long way from the sensation of being out riding a bike. I mix turbo and roller sessions just to make thing a bit more interesting. Turbo is a lot easier when it comes to trying to watch something on the telly at the same time, so can actually be less dull than rollers where you have to concentrate a bit more to stay balanced, but then I’m still quite new to rollers.

Rik
    Free Member

Anybody else made the move from turbo to resistance rollers?

mrblobby
    Free Member

I know some use one or the other exclusively, but i think the two are complimentary. Some sessions are good on the rollers, others on the turbo (as a slightly extreme example, I’m not doing TT bike runs on the rollers!)

Oh and the Planet X resistance ones here, happy with them so far.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Oh and going back to this…

Hate turbo trainer sessions, absolutely hate it, but it’s a means to an end.

I’d suggest you try and find ways to make turbo sessions less hateful as rollers are basically the same thing, I don’t think they will magically transform a monotonous experience (at least they don’t for me.) Find with indoor training a good plan, varied intervals, know what you’re working on, and ways of measuring progress are key to keeping motivated. Also some form of entertainment (music, tv, sufferfest, watching bike races on YouTube, etc.) to help pass the time works for me.

davidzof
    Free Member

You’ve got to use rollers or turbos with some training software such as those mentioned above or

Wattzap

It can be good, quality training if you are doing intervals aimed at say VO2 Max and then have some way of analyzing your training session.

Sportcrafters do a hybrid roller called the Omnium which is a little odd as the forks are clamped and the backwheel is on a pair of rollers. It can produce quite a bit of power though.

tpbiker
    Free Member

If you have a high end PC and can afford slightly more then I’d suggest the Tacx Iflow VR trainer (£330 quid) would be an even better option.

The GPS and RLV rides make the whole turbo exp far far more enjoyable. I can easily do an hour and a half on mine, whereas previously I could manage 40 min tops

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I bought a turbo which I used for a bit and then bought some rollers. Its pretty good fun learning to stay upright and requires more concentration but after that learning period is gone, they’re only marginally more entertaining than turbo. They were still worth the money though as it kept me interested in indoor training just because they’re different.

I got some Sufferfest vids and trainer road and I’m now back on a turbo. Still have the rollers though.

Visual/audio entertainment is more important than rollers or turbo.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Rollers with resistance – any better than a turbo’ is closed to new replies.