Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Rollers & Rear Tyre's
  • carlos
    Free Member

Evening All,

Probably a dumb one but whats the crack with a specific rear tyre when using rollers, I’ve heard (rather than know) that on turbos the tyre can got real hot and blister, ruining the tyre.

Is this the case on rollers or will my standard road tyre suffice??

Cheers
    Carl

carlos
    Free Member

Like I said probably a dumb one but thought I’d get at least one answer on this.

Anybody??

Duc
    Free Member

Turbo tyres front and rear are loads quiter but aren’t really necessary on my Tacx rollers (only tried it because I had two of them)
    Also keep in mind that turbo tyres (certainly continental ones) are probably the hardest tyre to fit EVER – makes tubless look a doddle.

If you are going to spend hours in one go on the rollers then it might be worth it but keep in mind you have at least a couple of weeks of un planned dismounts to master before you stay on for hours anyway.

As far as rollers go a worthwile tip is to try and work out roughly where your head will be when you fall off (notice the when) and move all the sharp objects out of the “impact zone” for the first few attempts. I speak from experience – roof racks hurt !

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    carlos
    Free Member

Cheers Duc,

So I don’t really need a specific trainer tyre then. I’ll only be doing an hr or so at a time 2-3 times a week over the winter months unless the weathers good then it’ll be out on the tarmac. Thanks for the heads up about preparing an indoor crash zone

Duc
    Free Member

You should be fine, having said that don’t use your shiniest race rubber !

When you first give it a go try setting up in a door way so you can support yourself on the door frame. Also helps if you can enlist a willing helper just to steady you from behind (ooer).

The first thing you’ll notice is if your saddle is too high (or your hips rock for another reason) as its pretty much impossible to ride them if you can’t keep your hips still !

There are some really good pyramid training sessions around based on cadence – I think I have one for Garmin somewhere on the pc if you need. my email is in my profile

MikeWW
    Free Member

Normal tyres are fine.
    Rollers are a good investment and will help in developing a smooth pedal stroke.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Rollers & Rear Tyre's’ is closed to new replies.