Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Rollers or a turbo!
  • pingu66
    Free Member

The wind is blowing far too hard to get out at the minute so I am thinking of getting a trainer.

I have looked at rollers and see the suggestions they improve techique core stability etc.

Turbo maybe more resistance.

Any recomendations, looks like I can get either for around £200, Tacx Satori £150 from Bike Discount.

How can I use my Garmin or get the miles logged? Thinking of and a bike computer with wheel magnet.

If I go the Turbo route any advantage on spending more money? Which one should I buy.

I would happily ride in rain etc but the wind is blowing the fence over etc so has been to bad for 2 days here. I will also just turn back into a fatty sat here.

Lifer
    Free Member

You can get rollers with resistance…

pingu66
    Free Member

Yeah I have seen you can get rollers on a frame as well so you can sprint (through your TV screen in my case probably).

Just never having used either I am wondering if they are as crap as gym bikes?

iainc

I have used a turbo in the past and found it boring and a slight faff with skewers, tyres etc. I quite fancy a set of rollers though, as the added need to balance would maybe seem ‘more real’ .. Also the fact that you just plonk bike on them and off you go (probably literally for me 🙂 )

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I have both and given a a choice of which I’d rather use then it will be the rollers every time.

I and a few others on here have these. Clicky

Lifer
    Free Member

I haven’t used static bikes or turbos much because it’s just too boring sitting there turning your legs round, the rollers keep you a bit more involved imo. I have a standard half hour inc 4 x 1 min intervals which absolutely kills me, but have done a couple of longer sessions when weathers been rubbish. Don’t think I could do much more than 90mins though.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Rollers are practicaly limited to relatively low power outputs, over about 400W you’d climb off the front roller. But that’s more than enough for 5-10minute intervals which is enough for winter training, and you can get the ones with a frame to bolt the forks to for bigger efforts.

I’ve got a turbo and a trainerroad.com subscriotion since the end of last winter, it’s far more fun measuring ‘power’ than heart rate, for one thing I found that it takes 10min for my HR to get upto speed on a 20min threshold interval! Going off percieved exertion I was going off far too hard (I was convinced my turbo wasn’t upto the task even on max) then tailing off massively, trying to maintain a constant power for 20 minutes dam near kills me with the speed/resistance set to half!

Turbo bike is almost essential hough unless youre in the garrage no one wants the cruddy winter bike dragged into the lounge.

And get one of these (although I’m sure mine was £30), otherwise you’ll sweat your bolloks off.
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/18-high-velocity-floor-fan-chrome/54056

Longest I’ve done was 90min, but most people percribe shorter sessions (20min threshold intervals to failure (unable to maintain 95% power) being a good one, two is painfull, 3 is possible on a good day (4 and 5 are for the pro’s).

mrblobby
    Free Member

Reckon a turbo and trainerroad.com is a good setup, works well for me and makes riding indoors a not too tedious proposition. You’d need an ant+ usb stick and a speed/cadence sensor.

Not tried rollers so can’t really comment.

Edit: … and what TINAS said!

pingu66
    Free Member

Thanks I thought rollers were cheaper than Turbos. Read the parabolic rollers make no difference and recommended aluminium small diameter for better wear and increased resistance.

@iainc – thats my big fear, thinking of a week in the hall way so I can’t break something and have time to stop before the kitchen should I manage to eject myself from them.

Lifer
    Free Member

Oh and I don’t see the point in the frames, just get a turbo! (unless I’m missing something)

Plenty of cheap rollers on ebay to give it a try, and get a sweat towel to stop you dripping everywhere. Rollers make me sweat like nothing else.

iainc

pingu – I have been on rollers once at the Velodrome, with handholds available – I’m sure that after a few hrs it becomes natural, but it was darned scary 😛

SkillWill
    Free Member

I have both and tend to just use rollers as less faff. I did upgrade the drum to be one with progressive resistance. Also use Trainerroad and sufferfest vids.

Edit: and fan and sweatband thing.

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

There is some irony in the fact that the OP wants rollers/turbo because it is too windy to ride outside and one of the replies telling them they need a big huge fan to keep them cool …

I have a set of Tacx Antares rollers and they are more enjoyable than any turbo I’ve been on. There are usually sets going cheap secondhand in good condition. They have the advantage of being easy to set up – just pop the bike on and ride.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

There is some irony in the fact that the OP wants rollers/turbo because it is too windy to ride outside and one of the replies telling them they need a big huge fan to keep them cool …

Hadn’t thought of that, but I’d still say it’s essential if a little ironic!

It’s also good for speeding up paint dsrying.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I am roller curious. Why are they more enjoyable? TBH I think at the end of some turbo sessions I’d be struggling to stay upright on rollers (maybe that’s why I need rollers!)

lemonysam
    Free Member

Why are they more enjoyable

It’s not so much that they’re enjoyable as that it’s hard to get really bored on them because if you stop concentrating it gets scary quickly.

Del

TBH if you can’t get motivated to go out then i’d be surprised if you’ll be motivated enough to use either rollers or a turbo.
    had a turbo for a while and used it when coming back from injury. frankly after the novelty wore off it made me want to take a bath with an electric fire, but i guess they must work for someone…
    chap at work had a set of rollers and they were much more involving. whether or not i would get bored of them too i don’t know.
    whatever, a decent set of guards and a jacket will probably set you back similar money and at least the world will be going by.

mrblobby
    Free Member

It’s not so much that they’re enjoyable as that it’s hard to get really bored on them because if you stop concentrating it gets scary quickly.

I hardly ever get bored on the turbo (especially since using trainerroad) I’m either focused on maintaining a power during an interval or watching something on the iplayer. May have to give them a go though, be nice to have a bit of variety during the winter.

TBH if you can’t get motivated to go out then i’d be surprised if you’ll be motivated enough to use either rollers or a turbo.

Would agree with this. Often think that completing a turbo session is more in the mind than in the legs!

Lifer
    Free Member

Be interested to see what you think of rollers as a confirmed turboist Mr Blobby.

swampi
    Free Member

as for logging your roller session just get a speed/cadence sensor so long as your garmin is ant+… £16.99 for b-twin ones at decathlon and they work a treat

Haze

Turbo, TrainerRoad and Sufferfest.

Sometimes need to force myself into the garage but always happy I made the effort and have been much stronger on the bike this year.

I think I’d be bored rigid on rollers!

tonyd

Rollers and a turbo!

I’ve got a set of rollers to help balance, pedal stroke etc (and because they’re scary and fun) and a spinning bike for long hard slogs. Both in the garage. I’ve also got a TV/AppleTV to make the long slogs on the spinner more bearable, although I’m quite often a bit cross eyed from effort. Wouldn’t dare try to watch TV on the rollers though, I used to until I almost went sideways through the garage wall 🙂

Edit: +1 for Sufferfest. Ouch.

Lifer
    Free Member

Haze – Member

Why?

lemonysam
    Free Member

Only very temporarily.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Rollers and a turbo!

I think this may be the correct answer 🙂

pingu66
    Free Member

@ swampi the speed cadence on Garmin is £45 will look at those.

Its not a case of motivation or even enjoyment. I dont mind riding in the wind but there is a point where it becomes dangerous and I don’t fancy getting blown under a truck.

Also I dont have the faff of cleaning the ike every ride getting ready etc and can probablly do a few sessions a day as I work from home. Jumping on rollers or Turbo I could actually do work while I was on them? LOL that you couldn’t do on a roller.

iainc

pingu – I have similar thoughts. Thankfully I am only a 20 min drive away from Glasgow Velodrome and it cost £8 an hour to ride on a drop in session, so it’s quite a cheap solution for me for winter fitness (I hope).
    I am on the lookout for some cheap rollers locally though 😆

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

as for logging your roller session just get a speed/cadence sensor so long as your garmin is ant+… £16.99 for b-twin ones at decathlon and they work a treat

At that price I might get them for all my bikes, was always fun when people spotted that I had a cadence sensor on the singlespeed!

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I’m amazed I like my rollers.

Got them so I can still get some fitness done when my Mrs is out and I have to stay in with the little boy so can’t go out. Chose rollers as they take a bit of skill and it’s possible to fall off them. Not super bothered about specific goals but I know I sweat buckets when I’m on them! Set up a TV or laptop or you’ll go mental.

I watch things like the Supercross or Motocross from the US, Youtube stuff etc. I found I can ride watching TV – but found out last week it’s super hard to maintain balance watching headcam footage!

I got these and they are sturdy, easy to set up hard to master.
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/TRJBTR/jetblack_training_rollers
    Start in a doorway with elbows out then progress to sprints, standing up or no hands!

zilog6128

I looked into the options re: turbos over the weekend, it’s getting a bit colder now & making my asthma play up a bit so I think now is the time to invest rather than lose all my fitness over the winter as per usual!

Kinetic Rock and Roll seemed to have a lot of positive feedback, anyone here used one? Thinking it’s possible less “boring” than normal turbos due to having to balance a bit more? Apparently they are better for sprinting as well. Would be using one in conjunction with TrainerRoad I think.

They have them cheap at PX but that is because the new model is imminent – anyone new when they’re due? It looks like they’ve made a fair few improvements, including reducing the size/weight, so I’ll wait for a proper review before buying.

heckler73
    Free Member

hmm interesting, im lookin ‘ buying rollers this week, was going to get the aluminium ones by cycleops, BUT gravity slaves recomm ‘ planet X look tempting, worth a buy GS ?????

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Nothing to compare them against but I’d recommend them and would buy again. Solid, well made, pretty good.

Very little bounce, it’s possible to do out of saddle spinning if smooth.

Just set the wheelbase, far easier when set up with the roller axle only just in front of the wheel axle.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

i have the Sportscrafter Resistance ones, they’re excellent. Slightly harder initially than ‘normal’ rollers but able to take a good 600+ W effort as the resistance kicks in.

I’d happily sell my turbo now as I never use it since getting these. I can just sit and spin if I want, I can also do a full bore workout, the only thing you can’t do until you’ve had a lot of practice is sprint on them.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Rollers, TrainerRoad, power meter of choice, and Sufferfest, away you go.

Tempted to try one of the TrainerRoad training plans after the cross season closes down in a few months time

eskay

My answer would be both. I use rollers for general fitness sessions but I use the turbo if I want to do any power work as you can really take it to the limit on a turbo without concentrating on staying upright.

eskay

hmm interesting, im lookin ‘ buying rollers this week, was going to get the aluminium ones by cycleops, BUT gravity slaves recomm ‘ planet X look tempting, worth a buy GS ?????

I have the cycleops aluminium rollers and I am very pleased with them. You can also retro fit a resistance unit to it.

I also have a cycleops fluid trainer that still rides like new even though it is 10 years old.

pingu66
    Free Member

The Kurt Kinetic rock and Roll looks great fun. Been looking at videos of rollers and they look really narrow, which could be really interesting ie me on my arse, a lot.

Probably more confused now but still interesting, it seems personal preference.

eskay

they look really narrow, which could be really interesting ie me on my arse, a lot.

It is not as hard as it looks, when learning do not look down at the front wheel, focus on something in front of you (and relax your grip on the bars).

Haze

Lifer – Member
    Haze – Member
    Why?

Maybe not bored, probably frustrated. I get the impression you’re a bit limited to how hard you can go, out the saddle sprints etc.?

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Maybe not bored, probably frustrated. I get the impression you’re a bit limited to how hard you can go, out the saddle sprints etc.?

I wouldn’t say that. I can do everything on my rollers that I could on my turbo. Granted, you can’t do out of saddle sprints safely unless you have an e-motion type roller but last week I did a Tabata session on mine and still managed to hit a 140rpm cadence. All my speed work it done with seated sprints.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Rollers or a turbo!’ is closed to new replies.