Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Rollers
  • pedalhead
    Free Member

Are there any rollers that are better suited to out-of-the-saddle mashing?

Klunk
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcJVW49723I[/video]

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

They all are, technique limiting. However the parabolic ones do give a certain amount of leeway when things get off centre a little.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Cheers, I’m tempted as my turbo is useless for out of saddle stuff, and I miss the power data when I’m using my spinning bike!

fourbanger
    Free Member

What i want to know is why haven’t they developed rollers further? Why not use electro magnets to create better resistance? I much prefer rollers but need to use turbo for hard resistance stuff

200 rpm in top on 3.25? rollers is a fair bit of resistance already!

Sam

pedalhead – Member

The free-motion type setups as linked above definitely better for out of the saddle efforts.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Cheers Sam, I feel a project coming on…

GavinB

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgvwkG-AK18&t=20s[/video]

Here’s a little vid to give you some idea of the noise. I took this about a year ago, when I was learning how to use them, so wanted to review my ‘form’ (which was pretty dreadful). They are sat on a suspended wooden floor, so really loud, and the rattle is from the drive band hitting the floor at certain revs.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

GavinB, you need to pedal faster, thats a very slow cadence for the rollers. Its much easier if you are around 90-100rpm (or over if you can)

GavinB

Are there any drills? I’ve tried doing pyramids, going up and down the gears, going down to really low cadence, then back up to a faster (easier) cadence. Some more ideas would be good.

Yes, agree about the cadence. I wobbled like a goon for the first few weeks, then sped up. Alarmed myself a few times, whilst wearing earphones, and yelping really loudly, as the bike swerved almost off the rollers whilst belting along at ’35 mph’.

crazy-legs

Gavin, put them on a hard rubber mat – one of those exercise mats you see at gyms. It’ll damp the noise down significantly without being so soft that the rollers dig in. For even better insulation, stick an old foam rollmat under the hard rubber mat.

TiRed

create better resistance?

They have.

Kreitler use a fan to create resistance and flywheels to maintain inertia. Also go for the medium rather than standard diameter rollers for more resistance. You can also go for small, but will need to be a US track champion!

porlus
    Free Member

Im fighting the need to use mine at the moment. Hate them with a passion, but 30min (tried 1 hour, was torture) sessions 2 to 3 times a week do work wonders.
    Tried a turbo but for some reason I got chronic knee ache. Went back to the rollers and its been fine.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Woh! i didn’t know about these. Is it more resistacne the the alu cyclops ones? Surely this would work with my cyclops ones?

GavinB

@ Crazy-legs: Good idea, I’d tried to bodge something with a few random doormats, but nothing really worked, so will grab a gym matt. The rattling used to annoy Mrs B more than anything – I just zoned out (mostly with intense concentration). 😀

trickydisco
    Free Member

The Headwind Fan is an adjustable resistance unit providing a wide range of resistance options depending on how far you open the air inlet. The air flow can be aimed at the rider for a cooling breeze, or directed away if preferred. The range of resistance when used in combination with the 4.5 rollers simulates everything from a 2mph tailwind to a tough uphill climb into the wind!

Awesome!

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Rollers’ is closed to new replies.