Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Rollers?
  • MSP

I am fairly convinced by the idea that rollers can help smooth the pedal stroke, and through that improve cycling efficiency, so am looking to get a pair sometime soon to use in the winter. But I am not sure what to go for.

Do the more expensive models offer anything extra over the cheaper models?
    Are features like parabolic rollers worthwhile?
    Is a resistance unit worthwhile? (I will still use a turbo for more physical interval type workouts)

RealMan
    Free Member

Got neighbours/kids/pets? They make quite a bit of noise.

flashes
    Free Member

I used them, slightly more interesting than a turbo, but still not interesting enough, mine are from a charity shop and I used a track bike with a high – ish gear on it…………

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MSP

Are they worse than a turbo trainer noise wise?

paulo123
    Free Member

Mine were cheap, unbranded and nothing special. I use them to work on cadence and pedal stroke, not sure how paying more for a resistance unit would help me with this. They make some noise, but not as much as my turbo (fluid one).

emanuel
    Free Member

I’ve got the elite ones with the slightly concave rollers.
    There’s a similar model by tacx that’s cheaper.they fold smaller too.
    kreitlings are well put together,I had a look at a pair at the velodrome.
    standing out of the saddle on rollers is the sign you’ve achieved a smooth stroke.
    I’d def recommend.
    Not tried the new style with a frame,expensive though.

you could build a set yourself,but I’d get a cheap plastic set,or some s/h ones.
    and a mat underneath,makes a lot of difference.

zerocool

Get metal rollers as the static electricity shocks can be quite painful if they build up enough. The GF had a set and loved using them until she’d brush against the bike and then she’d get a massive shock. Only took her a few days to get the hang of using them though

cheburashka
    Free Member

Until recently I had the Tacx Antares (IIRC), I sold them to a mate who does road and track due to my space constraints ATM. Seemed well made and had no problems,.weighed a ton though. They will definitely improve your cadence & coordination if you stick with them, start with that before taking the plunge on resistance kit. I didn’t find the noise excessive, less than my turbo, but I wouldn’t use them too regularly upstairs or in a non-ground floor flat etc.

Edit – just seen Zerocool’s post – the Antares did have plastic rollers but I personally didn’t have any problems with static using Specialized slick 26″ tyres. Maybe investing in an earth strap would be recommended!

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I use the Elite ones with the variable resistance. Bloody fantastic things, plenty hard enough for sickeningly hard interval sessions.

Rollers in general are excellent for technique and far more interesting than a turbo.

carbon337
    Free Member

I gave up on the Turbo for rollers they are a nicer experience to use IMO.

I got Minoura ones as they have Alu rollers which are better I’m told, its loads quieter than the turbo but I havent done full suffertest efforts on them yet.

eyerideit
    Free Member

I’ve got some Trax anteres as well. They are good and the first time on them is ‘fun’ but I do wish they had some resistance.

Saying that my rollers have become quite noisy, apparently it’s quite a common problem with the anteres not sure if the designs been revised yet, so it’s something to bear in mind. On the same thread someone comes up with a cheap fix, so if you can get a set at a reasonable price they will be worth it as you’re technique will improve.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Rollers?’ is closed to new replies.