• This topic has 9 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Rollers
  • DT78
    Free Member

I have a turbo, tacx sattori, which is fine and I’ve used for a while, but I am really concerned about damaging my road frame. The amount of flex you see in the bb is not going to be good for the frame. I suppose I could pedal lightly on it, but that isn’t really the idea of a turbo.

I’m looking at getting a set of rollers now what is worth a look, and recommendations or good deals?

Lifer
    Free Member

Keep an eye on ebay/gumtree, I got the Elite Parabolic rollers for 50% of RRP, hardly used.

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

Recently looked into the options and went for Planet X straight rollers for £120. They are very good, metal rollers, enclosed bearings and very quiet.
    Same units available under another name at twice the price.
    Frame folds up for easier storage.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Chances are your bike is going to flex as much, if not more out on the road in an out of the saddle full bore sprint. I wouldn’t worry about it.

njee20
    Free Member

But it’s not held rigidly by the rear axle when you sprint – whilst I’ve never really worried about it I’m not sure id want to use an ultralight road frame for turbo intervals!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I use a cannondale supersix hi-mod on the turbo – no issues

mrblobby
    Free Member

You could always pick up a cheap second hand road bike for a turbo specific setup and have it all permanently setup. I use one of my old road bikes and occasionally trickle parts down when I upgrade my main bikes. It’s an old steel frame and flexes a lot but it’s yet to break.

lovegoinguphills
    Free Member

I have used rollers for years and never had any problems. I also use a turbo and have an old winter training bike on there which stays on the turbo permanently.

eskay

I have seen handbooks explicitly state not to use certain bikes with turbo trainers. I tend to use an old bike on mine.

rollers are a different workout (although resistance models are now available). You would not do any power work on conventional rollers. It is nice to have both!

DT78
    Free Member

My previous frame cracked at the bb and several manufactures exclude turbo use from warranty…. of course you might be fine and it maybe nothing to do with turbo use. Expensive mistake if not. Currently dont have space for another bike either so tgst options out till I move. I also like the fact the rollers are quicker to setup and (apparently) have little tyre wear so i dont need my spare wheel with the turbo tyre either.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Rollers’ is closed to new replies.