• This topic has 45 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Roller Blinds (Blackout) Online? Anyone?
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Apologies…thread is high on boringness. 🙂

Need a new roller blind for our lad’s bedroom now that the evenings are lighter. The existing curtain and venetian wooden blinds combo leaks shedloads of light (biggish Victorian sash window) so we need something close fitting. Looks like roller or roman blinds are needed.

Anyone had any made online recently that were good value and reasonably well made? Rough coats for a made to measure set from John Lewis was £100+ 😯

Harry_the_Spider

We have blackout Roman blinds that work well.

I’ll ask the missus where she ordered them from as the mere mention of furnishing puts me into a coma.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Ikea do a blackout roller blind which Ive got for my shed window. It seems good for the price
    http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00130657/

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

DD, if you can shake the online-ness of this, it’s well worth a look in store at John Lewis, as they’re selling off a load of blackout roller/roman blinds. (At least they were in Southampton the other day!)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I feared the rapid climb to five posts was going to be a massive piss-take. 🙂 imagine my surprise. Helpful posts. 😀

Thanks all. I’ll look into those.

smurfly13
    Free Member

http://www.blindsuk.net

We have blackout roller blinds for our kids rooms from these guys, good strong quality and don’t let any light in!

Keep the cost down by not selecting and sash boxes and covers, just get the blind!

Harry_the_Spider

Well done all. Sensible and quick answers.

I think that we’ve all earned a treat. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairchild_Republic_A-10_Thunderbolt_II

ts4or5
    Free Member

Roller blinds (from various sources) can be cut to width pretty easily, so you don’t necessarily need to order made to measure.

Even someone with my limited DIY skills managed to do a reasonable job!

kcal

Our local DIY store have bundles of blackout blinds, as above just get one a bit bigger and trim to fit, not really a problem. Our lad’s is self coloured, not sure how available ones that are patterned are.

Can’t imagine they’re much more than £30/40 odd to be honest..

johndoh
    Free Member

We used http://www.blinds-2go.co.uk/

Were very good, quick to help when I realised I had incorrectly measured, good comms, cheap. No complaints.

johndoh
    Free Member

BTW, we coupled ours with some uPVC beading (from our local hardware store) like this stuff

They further help by not allowing as much light in around the sides/top etc

AdamW
    Free Member

Wilkos have a number of blackout blinds. Here.

Nobby

Another vote for http://www.blindsuk.net/

We’ve had all sorts from them, mostly custom fit, many of which were cheaper than off the shelf stuff in the usual DIY chains.

alfabus
    Free Member

If you can stand to go in there, dunelm mill have a lot of roller blackout blinds.

god, i hate that place.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

This thread now needs a musical interlude;
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc68TjfsfMU[/video]

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Dunelm?!?!? Nooooooooooooooooooooo 😡

nbt

*cough* I know a nice lady who makes roman blinds

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

For those who self-trimmed 🙂 what did you use? Could I just drop my chopsaw onto it (really quickly…like)?

Stoner
    Free Member

you’ve gone soft-furnished in the head, nbt. What with living with the enemy and all.

DD, stanley knife round and and round until you’re through the fabric then a fine toothed hacksaw on the roll before replacing the end caps. Or if you have the space try a straight edge and knife on the unfurled blind and try to keep down one fabric weft (or is it weave?) as crossing them will give a little fray.

_tom_
    Free Member

I got mine from dunelm mill for about £25. It works well, I have a street lamp right outside my bedroom window so it needs to!

clubber
    Free Member

We have a B&Q one which I cut down with scissors. Seems to work fine and the kids aren’t yet insisting on made to measure 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

For those who self-trimmed what did you use?

A razor, obviously. Just need to make sure you follow the curves properly as you cu…Oh, sorry. Wrong thread.

DezB
    Free Member

Trip to Wilko for me tonight then – £11 – £20 🙂

(Have been using an old blackout blind that doesn’t fit, tucked into the curtain rail. Old skintflint that I am. Combined with:

🙂 )

razorrazoo

Another alternative are these.

We have blackout Roman blinds and they still leak loads of light around the edges. Use the velcro sheets during the summer months and fold them up into the cupboard for winter. Different sizes available, cut to size, simple to put up and down.

scuttler

Another thing to consider is reducing the light leakage to reasonable levels and getting them used to it. Conditioning kids to only be able to sleep in properly dark rooms becomes a rod when they’re elsewhere. We have venetian or roller + curtains in our kids and our bedrooms but don’t go to nth degree to make them blackout. Of course if the room faces the rising sun the problem is worse.

al2000

We use the stuff that razorrazoo posted – it has the added bonus of being portable, so can be used anywhere.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Of course if the room faces the rising sun the problem is worse.

Sorry…nothing like a bit of retrospective info when someone makes a helpful post…his window faces almost directly east. 😐 (it’s the light evenings which are a bother at the moment, but as the months pass, the morning would definitely be even worse.

Bunnyhop

you’ve gone soft-furnished in the head, nbt. What with living with the enemy and all.

I resemble that fact 🙂

There maybe a good reason why JL have a sale on, as rules and regulations have changed regarding blinds being fitted in a childs room.

You can no longer have the chain pully system (which I don’t use when making my blinds.)

DD. may I suggest that you buy a piece of blackout lining (larger that the recess) and fit it by either velcro or tape from a batten just out side the window, thus keeping the curtains. This can be taken down every morning and put back up at night (we did this for our nephew, when he was ickle). Cut it with scissors as it doesn’t fray.

Blimey I’m doing myself out of work here and you lot ^^^ should be supporting my small business, how on earth can I go skiing and afford new bike bits now? 🙁

razorrazoo

DD. may I suggest that you buy a piece of blackout lining (larger that the recess) and fit it by either velcro of tape from a batten just out side the window, thus keeping the curtains. This can be taken down every morning and put back up at night (we did this for our nephew, when he was ickle). Cut it with scissors as it doesn’t fray.

Blimey I’m doing myself out of work here and you lot ^^^ should be supporting my small business, how on earth can I go skiing and afford new bike bits now?

Sorry to destroy you’re business before it got going but did you see my link 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Thanks for that advice Bunnyhop. I’ll run it by mrs deadly later. (Blows kiss while nbt’s not looking.)

nbt

*sees kiss*

*blushes and waves coyly*

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Buuuuuuusssssssttttttttteeeeeeeeeddddddd! 😳

Bunnyhop

razorrazoo –

Sorry to destroy you’re business before it got going but did you see my link

I am a woman, I don’t have time to read everything on the interweb 😳

Kiss was intercepted by nbt. Doh!

Harry_the_Spider

Regarding the chains on Roman blinds. We hook ours up high in one room and have it pinned tight to the window surround in the other.

Bunnyhop

HtS – good idea.

DezB
    Free Member

DD. may I suggest that you buy a piece of blackout lining (larger that the recess) and fit it by either velcro or tape from a batten just out side the window, thus keeping the curtains. This can be taken down every morning and put back up at night (we did this for our nephew, when he was ickle). Cut it with scissors as it doesn’t fray

Hey! So my “tucked into the curtain rail” method is recommended by the pros eh? Not such a skinflint as I thought 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

rules and regulations have changed regarding blinds being fitted in a childs room

Er.. who checks this??

Bunnyhop

[/quote]Er.. who checks this??

Much like most rules and regs, no-one. However if I got caught making them, it’s curtains for me 😆

Ahh can’t work this editing thing.

DezB
    Free Member

🙂

“So, Mrs Bunnyhop, who are these Spongebob Squarepants blinds for? A child’s room??”

“er, nooooo. Course not!”

😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Roller Blinds (Blackout) Online? Anyone?’ is closed to new replies.