Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Roll your own rim* FAIL-A-GEDDON CONTENT
  • bigyinn
    Free Member

Out of interest, when you cut and joined it, was the “new” rim perfectly round before it was laced and trued, or did you have to make it round when tensioning?

JackHammer

Sooo cool! Let us know how it goes.

My first reaction was oooer, then when you think about how the strength of the wheel is in the build of the wheel it should be alright.

Is there tension (dunno if that’s the right word) in the rim trying to uncurl to its previous size, or did you shape it?

D0NK

Didn’t the wheelsmith fella build wheels with cut rims? Assuming you’ve got good tension I guess it should be OK for a while (I’m a crap wheel builder but none of my shonky wheels have failed) but getting “good” tension with dodgy lacing could be the issue.

funkynick

Top bodging…

So, assuming that the join has been pinned as well as glued together, why do people assume this would not be okay? Isn’t this just how rims have been made for a very long time?

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Probably something to do with taking aluminium… and re-bending it… cutting it.. pinning it (again)… and building it up into a wheel with miss-matched spoke holes..

Impressed at the commitment though.

Would probably only risk ‘riding’ it on the rear, for me.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thanks all. The rim wasn’t re bent (I tried but don’t have the strength/heft). It’s glued and pinned.

Initially spoke tension was all over the place but the tension is pretty even.

Good to see some folk posting that have a clue!

shermer75
    Free Member

Did you keep the off cut so you can make a 27.5″ rim out of a 26″ rim for the other wheel?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Lol, yes!

Im trying to work out a way of sticking a 2nd diy 650B rim onto it to run 3″+ tyre.

jamj1974

Wouldn’t attempt it myself – but looks good and well done.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Confused.

If you take a circle and cut a part of its circumference out, then join the two ends to make a smaller circle, you end up bending the bits of the original circle. Unless you mange to bend non-Euclidian space-time instead. Just an observation. Not being obtuse 😉

scotroutes

Yeah, but you could re-bend (roll) the rim so that the ends lined up without the pins, or rely on the strength of the pinned joint (and spokes) keeping it together. I think Al is suggesting he only did the latter.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not bent meaning not permanently deformed into holding its own shape.

Yes you are 😉

brant
    Free Member

Jobst speculates/calculates in his book that the compressive force on a rim joint like that, when the wheel is built is about a 4 ton compressive force.

So long as the joint is cut square and properly angled, stuff pulls together fine. I did some 40h ma2’s to 36h 26in ones back in the day.

boxelder

Did you manage to cut the correct amount out of the middle of each spoke to make them fit? I’m imprezzled.

fibre
    Free Member

FAIL-A-GEDDON

Bodgezilla! 😛

TooTall
    Free Member

I salute you, but am slightly disappointed at how un-bodgy it looks. Ride it like you cut-and-shut it!

gonzy
    Free Member

does anyone if the OP is still alive??

adsh
    Free Member

Brilliant bodgery.

What will you charge to make me a 32er or a 36er.

munrobiker
    Free Member
Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Roll your own rim* FAIL-A-GEDDON CONTENT’ is closed to new replies.