Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Roll call: Calderdale Mountain Bike Marathon this Sunday
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

Anybody off here entered this event?

This will be my second. Loooking forward to it.

meandyuk

Hmm, I might do it! any tips for a newbie? is it marshalled all the way?

Cheers

derek_starship
    Free Member

It is marshalled – and they’ve promised more / better route waymarkers as last year they were poor. Black text “CMBM” on tiny red arrows! I complained on their guestbook and it seems they listened.

It’s a tough route but very enjoyable.

meandyuk

Cheers. Is it technically tough?? or just the distance/elevation?

derek_starship
    Free Member

There is one particularly technical section. Last year I walked it but this year I’ve got more experience and confidence with this kind of stuff. It’s a section of wall to wall stones and rocks – BIG ones and some 4 ft drop offs and water breaks etc.. Apart from this it’s mainly a slog over moorland and some big non technical climbs.

marco
    Free Member

Hi
    I’m gonna do it again this year, will be my 3rd one.
    DS – where are the 4ft drops you mentioned? Is it Stakes lane? It is quite technical but not so bad from what i remember, they have changed the route a bit this year i believe.
    DS – what will you be riding? i’ll look out for you. I’m on a black Canyon strive and my mate will be on a turquoise Yeti SB66

derek_starship
    Free Member

marco – I have no idea – maybe they weren’t 4ft at all! Maybe they just looked 4ft to me at the time. It was definitely a very technical section though – lots of big moss covered rocks.

I’ll be riding a Marin Rift Zone XC8 (white). Maybe see you at some point.

WorsthorneWarrior
    Free Member

I’ll be there, just sorting out the gear now!!

3rd one for me, always a challenging yet enjoyable route – That last climb back up to the church destroyed me last year!

mafu26
    Free Member

how did everyone get on? you enjoy it?

I have a crackin day out. Thought it was really well marshalled, only a couple of times I wasn’t 100% sure on the route but never actually got lost. The last section coming over the top of the moors was amazing!

andycs

Really enjoyed the ride though I remembered why I stay off those moors in winter! Was glad the rain started after I got back, will do it again along with the Holme Valley one.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I enjoyed the CMBM this year. Despite pitching off into a huge puddle (full left hand side immersed) on Midgley “the bastard” Moor.

Very well organised – great marshalling, much improved waymarking and several well stocked feeding stations en route. And a really nice chilli at the end.

I basically fell most of the way down the descent off Midgley – it was quite comical.

Zaskar93
    Free Member

Was a real mudfest and plenty of people came a cropper, me included on Midgley Moor but it was a soft landing in the tussocky grass

pic here http://www.sportsunday.co.uk/photo13195619.html

Despite the weather and the ground conditions it was a good, well organised and marshalled event. Well done to both organisers, volunteers and participants alike. Despite running out of rear brake pads early on I managed to ride every bit apart from a short walk after my off coming down the moor, so quite chuffed.

mafu26
    Free Member

yeah I went over the bars a couple of times in a ‘controlled’ manner!

andycs – whens the Holme Valley one? Has that been?

Are there any more similar one’s coming up? Cheers

Zaskar93
    Free Member

Holme Valley one was 11th September. It’s usually around that weekend each year which normally means there is half a chance it is run in better conditions than the Calderdale one but this year it was quite windy and even turned wet for a while. There are similar events earlier in the year, haven’t done any of them (yet) but follow this link for details http://www.cvmbc.co.uk/

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Roll call: Calderdale Mountain Bike Marathon this Sunday’ is closed to new replies.