Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Rohloff Speedhub – moving to a new bike
  • topangarider
    Free Member

My mate has a rohloff speedhub on a Cannondale Badboy for commuting at the mo. Its fittted with the speedbone whotsit at the mo.

Am I correct in thinking that when he transfers it to a Rohloff specific frame with the long dropout, he needs to change the clutchplate for one with the little dropout noggin on and do away with the speedbone?

The frame is a nicolai argon (rohloff specific)

Anything else he needs to do?

Cheers

snaps
    Free Member

Yep, he’ll need one of these http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Rohloff-Rohloff-Aftermarket-to-OEM-Axle-Plate-Converter-for-QR-Hub-8234-10454.htm
    Can’t think of anything else except he might be able to get a better (straighter) cable run without the speedbone.

Stoner
    Free Member

^ yep.

topangarider
    Free Member

Aye – thats the jobby. The frame has twin cable guides along the chainstay, so that routing will be used.

Thanks guys.

topangarider
    Free Member

Been looking into this more. He’s found the other type of clutch plate in the box – so thats sorted. Does he still need to use the speedbone? Sheldon Brown’s site (GRHS) seems to say that he does, even with rohloff specific dropouts.

Anyone got any pics of their speedhub setup with disc brakes?

Ta

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

The speedbone provides a fixed peg for the slot in the torque plate (there is no clutch). If you have a sliding dropout then some other arrangement must be made

topangarider
    Free Member

SfB – thanks for reading the thread!

The new frame has rohloff specific dropouts and hence the torqueplate with the noggin that uses the dropout to torque (?) against is used. This should do away with the use of the speedbone, BUT Sheldon reckons its still needed if using disc brakes.

I looked on the Kinetics website and I reckon its not needed if you’ve got rohloff specific dropouts. Anyone got a rohloff specific frame with disc brakes and a photo ready to post?

STATO
    Free Member

no you dont need it, cant think why you would, sheldon obviously got it wrong (shock horror! ill be beaten for even suggesting such a thing)

topangarider
    Free Member

Looking on the website – I think my mate might be confusing the speedbone with the clickbox.

Sheldon’s reputation is intact!!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

The speedbone is that metal arm outboard of the disc caliper, above the axle

snaps
    Free Member

See my post above.

topangarider
    Free Member

Thanks – I have it.

Denis99
    Free Member

What the others say above, this is how its supposed to look, Rohloff on Nicolai Helius CC.

topangarider
    Free Member

Nice one Denis – cheers!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Rohloff Speedhub – moving to a new bike’ is closed to new replies.