Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Rohloff replacement cables
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

Do I get thorn’s own set with 1.1m cables, outers and ferules for £15

Or 1.8m Rohloff cables for £8 with a set of Rohloff ferules for another £5

swiss01
    Free Member

rohloff

ir_bandito
    Free Member

thats what seems sensible. cheaper and “genuine” brand.

I’ve emailed SJS to ask what the difference is…

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Rohloff’s just need good quality brake cable outer and a gear cable inner. Those kits *might* be cheaper than buying the constituent parts but I don’t fit Rohloff’s supplied cables as they seem ridiculously heavy and inflexible.

I think our bulk cable is Transfil at the moment – works well.

nicko74

Rohloff’s just need good quality brake cable outer and a gear cable inner. Those kits *might* be cheaper than buying the constituent parts but I don’t fit Rohloff’s supplied cables as they seem ridiculously heavy and inflexible.

Agreed – I just used standard gear cables, as for derailleurs

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I just used standard gear cables

Yep, that works. However, brake cable is stronger – gear outer needs to (can’t think of word) not change length when you bend it in order for indexing to work. As Rohloffs are pull pull you can use normal coiled outers (ie Brake) which is tougher (and no more expensive)

avdave2

I use whatever it is Thorn/SJS fit to their bikes and they are still working fine after 5 years. Have a look on the Thorn forums you should find plenty of advice there.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Bought the Thorn set, they’re Transfil.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

The reason you can use brake outer on a Rohloff is that the indexing takes place inside the hub not at the shifter .

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Rohloff replacement cables’ is closed to new replies.